1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Four drone operators have turned into whistleblowers, calling for an immediate end to the drone war

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

First, I am not the one who brought Constitutionality to the debate, a drone operator did. I highlighted what he said.

Second, what is the point of even debating you if you won't even talk about current, relevant American laws like the AUMF that should strictly designate who can be targeted or not, and you're off saying I'm the one who has fallacious logic because you're inventing jurispendence based on historical precedents that have little or no bearing to the situation at hand, beyond showing that America once preferred capturing combatants to killing them.

Are you giving up the boat on the rest of the argument minus the constitutional one?

re: Constitutional arguments

Can you trace how the Civil War resembles the current War on Terror? Are you alleging that the War on Terror merits the designation "when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public safety may require it." Is America even at "war"? Did you delibrately choose a period of American history where Constitutional rights were suspended to prove...what point?

jesus (As you say).

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

disingenuous comment, as Obama leaned very heavily on the drones, even questionably killing an American citizen and many civilians

3. Northside Storm

Yeah, and he cited AUMF to do so.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/23/us-justification-drone-killing-american-citizen-awlaki

This drone war was a continuation of Bush's drone wars and dubious legal legacy:

http://www.defenseone.com/politics/2014/09/obamas-dramatic-reversal-bushs-laws-war/94169/

Anyways, if you want to end the drone war, we're on the same side now. I don't want to waste more time on partisan politics, especially with someone as one-sided in their denial.

#23 Northside Storm, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If you are against drones, what exactly is the alternative, in your opinion? Go in with ground troops? Just do nothing at all, and allow the planners and executers of terrorism to sit in their sand caves without any threat of retribution whatsoever?

Anecdotal evidence about transgressions of drone operators in what they call targets, if true, should lead to sanctions against these specific operators.

5. Northside Storm

First of all, drone attacks can be much better regulated. Kill lists can go through the judicial process. There can be an emphasis of capture over kill, especially with American citizens. They could be confined to certain theaters, and they don't have to rely on such bad SIGNIT intelligence. There could be much higher bars for dubiously legal targeted killings. You can be against the current implementation of the drone war and not be against drones completely given how poorly executed it has been. (90% inadvertent casualties with little to no oversight)

Secondly, given that the drone war has only seemed to increase instability and terrorism in nations where it is deployed (see: Yemen, Somalia), doing "nothing" is in fact correlated with avoiding increasing the # of terrorists.

"Nothing" is better than the current status of the drone program.

AQAP is now active in 1/2 of Yemen and has grown from hundreds to thousands of members. I don't know how in any world that qualifies as success. Now we have people on the outside AND inside of the drone program who have helped explain why that may be. [​IMG]

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

You wanted to debate Constitutionality. Debate it but do not stoop to logical fallacies (American Civil War era vs present; ad-hominem), getting hung up on an apparent contradiction (Davis' amnesty), or asking existential questions (i.e. Is America even at "war"?). It just makes the debate seem childish.

Also, do not muffle the debate with your issues against the AUMF. At your insistence, start another thread on the topic.

7. Northside Storm

what, you're the one who brought up the Civil War and is now acknowledging the absurdity of doing so :confused::confused::confused:

Also, if you had been reading more closely, I started the topic with:
    it was literally two words away from the one point you seem fixated about. If you don't want to debate the AUMF, an American law, then fine, but it is very much a scope of the current topic of whether or not to end the drone war and has been from the beginning.

If you want to talk pre-9/11, start your own thread, but maybe you'd start looking into who funded AQ and the Taliban in the first place, who gave Saddam WMD and support in targeting that WMD, and Middle East policy from the 50s onwards, you know, a whole bunch of ideas that really don't have that much to do with four drone operators calling for an end to the drone war.

I'd happily engage you there. Are you really implying that asking you to click two buttons is "muffling the debate" when you've been selectively ignoring what this debate has been about from the beginning?

#27 Northside Storm, Nov 21, 2015
  8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

There was no mention in the Guardian article about violation of American laws; only violation of a military oath and an anecdotal implication of a violation the US Constitution. This debate is over.

9. Northside Storm

Refuse to discuss the ethical, policy, and moral implications of the drone policy beyond saying "America and its allies aren't perfect".

Refuse to discuss the violation of the AUMF discussed in further articles, and refuse to acknowledge Executive Order 12333.

Refuse to discuss your misguided attempt to mount a Constitutional argument by referring to a period of war where Constitutional rights were expressely suspended.

Refuse to discuss this and its relationship to the aforementioned article 3 of section 2 of the Constitution as well as the Fifth Amendment:

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers/the-assassination-complex/

Go and claim that I am muffling the debate by signing off with "This debate is over". ;)

#29 Northside Storm, Nov 21, 2015
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ok, fair enough.

That is only your assumption. Perhaps things would be even worse if some of the key figures of Islamist terror had not been taken out.

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This is D&D. The only question that matters here is "How many unborn children have drone strikes killed?"

12. Northside Storm

don't forget about attributing blame to Obama or Bush

13. Northside Storm

This is a fair statement. I can only say drone strikes are correlated with increased instability. You're right to point out the causal link may be fuzzy. Upon reflection, I don't think you can use the evidence to say drones have improved the situation, but neither can you really use it to force the implication that drones have made the situation deteriorate, at least without more evidence.

Anecdotally, many people have cited it as a factor they see making things worse. But that is anecdotal.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I guess it is a moral dilemma.

There were many assassination attempts on Hitler. One could argue that some of the leaders of Islamist terror are just as bad as Hitler (e.g. the self-appointed leader of the ISIS Caliphate).

In hindsight, if taking out Hitler with a drone had been possible in 1939, would it have possibly saved a lot of suffering? Maybe.

Perhaps one of the counter-arguments is that Islamist terrorism does not have one Hitler, but that evil is distributed onto many heads of a hydra, and that taking out one or several does not make any difference. But is that really true? In the end, Hitler had to be defeated militarily, and unfortunately, many innocent Germans died in that process. But what might have happened if one had just said "I am against violence" and would have leaned back and would have continued to let Hitler and the Nazis operate?

At what point does it become a moral obligation to counter violence with violence? And aren't drones, with all their flaws, a more surgical way to do it than putting the lives of many on your own side at risk?

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

No. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is the head of Da'esh and has declared in public speeches that he is the Caliph of a global Caliphate. He's proclaimed himself the leader of all Muslims and that the Caliphate will soon conquer Spain and "Rome" which many take to mean Europe as a whole.

Hitler may have been responsible for more deaths in his tenure as Chancellor, but he never raped anyone.

Taking this theocratic serial rapist out would be a favor to mankind.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed.

And if it can be done with a drone, without endangering the lives of American or British or other soldiers representing the good side of humanity, even better.

It's so easy to sit somewhere in Canada on a moral high horse and say "drones bad, Americans bad, I am against any violence, I am the greatest pacifist". It's also either short-sighted or disingenuous, because not taking action at all will allow those who are not taken out like this "Caliph" rapist to commit more rapes, more murders, more bombings.

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think it's fair to examine the legality of how the US conducts it's war, however. The Constitution is not the Bible or Koran -- you can't just choose to follow the parts you like. Edit: And I'd be a hypocrite of the highest order to say how much I identify with and hold sacrosanct the values of the Enlightenment to just ignore US law when it was convenient to my immediate interests.

I think Ron Paul's idea of using letters or marque and reprisal rather than indefinite, undeclared war was a reasonable suggestion.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I agree with that part of your and Northside's argument.

19. Northside Storm

Deploring the extrajudicial killing of 90% of targets inadvertently in areas where ISIS does not even operate does not equal "take no action". You cannot claim with a straight face that ISIS is even the target of most of these strikes when the United States cannot even respect its own AUMF authorization and is using drones to kill local insurgent groups in theaters of war where ISIS does not even operate. This is not only illegal but entirely irrelevant to your ideal point of "highly surgical drones that only target and kill top ISIS leaders". That doesn't happen. It took whistle-blowers and military leaks to find out.

Instead, because the United States government is using drones in an opaque manner without legal precedents or international norms, they not only risk the Wild West with other nations embracing drone programs, they risk host countries kicking them out entirely from Pakistan to Yemen. I mean, is there even a host country now in Yemen?

Now, with regards to action, what is the point of droning random insurgents where the real funding comes from host nations that are still "steadfast" allies of the West? It's the money that props up angry people. Kill all of the leaders you want, I don't exactly see how the next generation of jihadis is not going to pop up so long as the oil money flows. That's been the cycle since the 1980s: I don't think more of the same is the solution. You can't reform a religion by killing 90% random people, and 10% fanatics who want to die. You can reform it by killing off the money that shelters theocratic regimes from change.

#39 Northside Storm, Nov 21, 2015
  20. Northside Storm

I'm glad we agree on this point.