1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Founding Fathers/Constitution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets1616, Apr 29, 2010.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

white colonial men, and even the ones currently, are the devil who did nothing but oppress people for their own selfish reasons. duh.

He will state the obvious about slaves and taking of land from indians, but why? not because he isnt saying something that we don't already know, not because he is making it clear that it was very wrong, retroactively looking...no, he will tell us only because it puts stink on them.

there is no real point other than to bash really. He will focus on the rich, privileged lives that owned slaves...but will ignore the guy who came from a poor family and worked his way up. He will also ignore the fact that these "rich men" risked their well being and riches to create a new country. He will also ignore that despite the current state of affairs, they allowed a govt to evolve and change to the times.

Of course these men are put up on a very high pedestal, and most should be. Because as mentioned before, they are clearly not saints without sin who never harmed a fly...who is? But they are looked highly upon because of what, at the end of they day, they created...the greatest country in the world.

Perfect? nothing is perfect. But certainly the best there is and there is always room to improve because what they helped establish.

This country could use more men like these guys for one reason alone...these guys were pretty damn brave and stood to improve the country.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Magic you're missing the point, the Founding Fathers aren't to blame. They learned it from the English... Blame the English.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Ultimately, the answer is to blame Canada, with their beady little eyes, their flappin' heads all full of lies.

1 person likes this.
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

and that b**** Anne Murray too!

5. LScolaDominates

You are such a pathetically predictable clown, always drawing caricatures. I don't hate white people, and I don't claim that their sole contribution to society has been the oppression of others. Now stop with this puerile reverse-discrimination crap, or you will continue to find yourself being put in your place by me.

When you sweep things like slavery and genocide under the rug--or, as pgabriel put it, "give people leeway"--some "stink" gets on everybody when it's time for spring cleaning.

The poor guy who worked his way up from nothing is a rare exception in capitalist society, but a necessary one. People will consent to their own exploitation as long as they think they can be the exploiter one day. The preponderance of feel-good stories is not proportional to reality.

The founders didn't "create" America. This misconception is exactly why we need to remind ourselves that there were people here before we arrived and that we systematically destroyed them and their cultures to make room for our own. What the founders did was establish legal and martial structures that were, and remain today for their descendants, tools for legitimizing their power.

Sorry to **** in your punchbowl.

1 person likes this.
  6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Aw how cute. Junior read his first Zinn.

1 person likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nice post.

I thought your sole utility here was to find pictures of anti-war protesters from the early 00's in order to excuse the birthers, racists, gun nuts, and other morons who comprise the tea party vanguard.

You impress me with your depth and range.

8. LScolaDominates

Do you disagree with something I wrote?

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Imagine if some top politician went around talkin about getting rid of the constitution and coming up with a new constitution every 10 years....there'd be calls to hang the treasonous b*stard! Little would they know, they'd also be ready to hang Thomas Jefferson ;) .

Btw, isn't the Texas board of Education trying to get rid of all the philosophical ideas of Thomas Jefferson?

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If you built this country, regardless of how ugly the process was, how would you want your name to be remembered?

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Their culture was destroyed by disease.

So they created a monarchy and guys named Washington and Jefferson are still in power today.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You seem to be of a mind to toss out the Constitution as intellectually invalid because of the slave trade that ruled the day.

Slavery is the worst of human behavior. We are a better world for its abolishion. That does not mean that they were incapable to devise a system of government.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I won't comment on the topic in general, because it is nothing I didn't get exposed to back in school, many years ago. This statement of yours, however, I have to disagree with. Two of my best friends pulled themselves up from nothing, one going from being a machinist and working class, like his parents, to getting a Harvard MBA and becoming very successful in finance... the other moving from the mailroom at the local paper and a working class family, to a high paying career in technology. My own father was the first on that side of my family, to our knowledge, to get a college degree. He went on to become a department chair at a major Houston university. You are using far to broad a brush in an attempt to make a point. It is not rare. Not as common as a Snickers in the candy rack at the corner store, but not rare.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

why, deckard... at your advanced age... I didn't know you still suffered from the munchies....

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hmm, one doesn't suffer from the munchies, one enjoys the munchies.

16. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i disagree, one does suffer from the munchies due to what is ingested during said munchy binge.

on topic, the constitution was written by humans. humans have flaws, and the constitution provides a means of correction those errors. the admiration of the founders may be over exaggerated by the tea party movement, but i don't think the framers should be discredited because of the time they lived in (slaves, women's rights, etc.).

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Reposted for truth.

My father is the son of a tenant farmer from Tennessee. They moved to Texas and my grandfather bounced from crappy job to crappy job. When my father graduated from high school in 1956, he decided he did not want to do the same. He worked full time at the bank to pay his tuition to go to school full time at UH. He was the first in his family to finish high school, let alone college (the kids would drop out in order to work the farm). Because of hard work and determination, in one generation our family went from tenant farmers to a bank executive.

It is possible. You have to have the drive and work ethic to chase it though.

18. LScolaDominates

The colonists introduced more than just smallpox and measles, though; there was also alcoholism, which persists as a problem for remaining native groups today.

But I think you're also ignoring the more fundamental causes of the demise of native peoples, to name a few: geographical displacement--by theft or government action; warmaking; and ideology.

By descendants, I mean wealthy landowners.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that sometimes that disease was intentionally snuck to them on infected trade goods. The disease was given to the native Americans intentionally.

In addition Ben Franklin recommended using vicious attack dogs on them.

20. g1184

g1184 Member

Are you native american? (serious question)

also, did you just blame current individual irresponsibility by some in the indian community on the introduction of alcohol 200 years ago?