1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: James to meet with Avery; decision could come tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Jul 10, 2006.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Anybody else thinks James will sign with the Mavericks. I am going to light myself on fire if that happens.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is a much welcomed positive response from someone with inside conections.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What where did you get this info!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Count on you, Clutch, to come out with a sane response to this, "news." I'll be amazed if he doesn't sign with Houston, and if he doesn't, then we move on from there. I just wish I didn't already have a splitting headache from allergies. Waiting to find out what James does isn't real good for that right now! The man has our free agent business in some serious limbo.

5. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

If James does sign with Dallas it makes the stupid Rudy Gay trade look even dumber.

6. Pocket Rockets

HERE WE COME BONZI!!

7. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Take pictures.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Is that what I am going through, Mid-Summer allergies... week long sinus headaches... I thought all this endless waiting for draftpicks and free agent signings and then getting your hopes up only to be dissapointed. I thought that got me sick.

9. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

I'd love to have Wells on our team, but how in hell are we going to afford him!? :confused: Everything I've read so far indicates that he's looking for significantly more money than we can offer.

10. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I truely believe the only reason Dallas wants James is because Houston wants him. If indeed James does take Avery's bait and signs on with Dallas as a backup and for far less mins than he would have got with Houston I hope Houston goes out and gets Fred Jones but Marcus banks wouldn't be bad either. I'd rather have Jones though. Jones is 6-4 he is a natural scorer and could provide the same things James does and he could play both gaurd spots the 1 and 2 because of his 6-4 hieght. It does seem as if James is on the verge of screwing us and I hope he doesn't because think about if Dallas got rid of Daniels because there was no playing time for him WHERE IS THERE GOING TO BE TIME FOR JAMES? Think about that Mike before you choose.
    Go Rockets!!!

11. Pocket Rockets

according to espn he did decline a 5 yr $36 mil deal and also stated nuggets were interested but could only offer mid level....

i am not sure if bonzi can do a sign and trade but that obviously would be our best bet...unless he pulls a stromile on us and takes less money

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The numbers are close enough to reality IMHO that it doesn't matter what the source was. It's a very plausible scenario.

I don't think the TPups will offer a 5th year. But (like most of us here who are paying attention) Dallas knows that if they offer the 5th year MLE, they force the Rockets to use their full 5 year MLE to match. And that action means we can't SnT James and still have a full MLE remaining to close the talent gap.

What the Mavs don't know is what "feelers" the Rox have already had for the TE. Both from agents looking to up contract value for their FA players and from over the cap teams looking to make a deal possibly including BYC players.

Obviously, I want the Mavs to stop at 4 years so we can SnT James. But I would get an enormous pleasure if Cuban upped the ante to 5 years, James takes Houston's MLE and in less than a week a deal for the TE is announced for a quality rotational player. :D

13. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

If we don't get answer tonight or tomorrow I would forget about Mike James and offer the TE to Fred Jones first and then Marcus Banks and whoever accepted it I would sign right there on the spot. What do you guys think of that? Give me your thoughts? Go Rockets!!!

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's it. I think you've nailed it. Lets take a look at the evidence:

1. In that "Untouchables" thread, Rockets Dynasty showed that he's a fanatical Yao worshipper.
    2. He constantly pulls stuff out of his ass without ever giving a link or source.
    3. And this "heard it on the radio" business is exactly the type of BS that ming_7_6 would pull.
    4. He makes up stuff without knowing the first thing about the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and constantly says stuff that makes no sense whatsoever.

Good catch man. Rockets Dynasty lost all his credibility with me back when he was saying that the Rockets had a done deal in place to sign and trade for Stevenson. Slowly it looks like the rest of the board is catching up with his BS.

Maybe if people will stop paying attention to him, and quoting him, my ignore list can finally do it's job.

15. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Guys, I might be missing something here, but isn't a player option for the 5th year actually better for James than a 5th year guaranteed by the team? :confused:

Isn't the player option just like a guarantee from the team to pay for the 5th year but also allows James to sign somewhere else for more money if he chooses?

EDIT:

Ah, nevermind. I see that other people have already pointed this out in the previous page.

#115 tikwanleap, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Everyone seems to think Dallas has unlimited money to spend or something. Everything I've gathered indicates that Mark Cuban is actually maneuver his way out of paying luxury tax (especially now that KVH is coming off the books). The Mavericks may be a lot more reluctant to commit to a long-term deal than you think.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It depends on the player. If James were younger, the player option would be better because he could take the option or test free agency if he felt the market was right. At his age, this is his last contract and for all practical purposes they are equal.

18. WhoisGay

WhoisGay Member

Mavs to deal Daniels for Pacers' Croshere --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavs to deal Daniels for Pacers' Croshere

08:51 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 5, 2006
    By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks have agreed to trade Marquis Daniels to Indiana for veteran power forward Austin Croshere. The deal, widely reported Wednesday night and confirmed by Mavericks' officials, will become official July 12.

Daniels has been the odd man out in coach Avery Johnson's rotation. He was behind Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and Devin Harris in the guard/small forward rotation.

With the Mavericks drafting shooting guard Maurice Ager, there appeared to be even less room for the 6-6 Daniels.

Croshere is a valued outside shooter for his size. The 6-10 forward has been on the block often in his career with the Pacers.

The Mavericks also value Croshere as a replacement for Keith Van Horn, who is a free agent and appears likely to move on from the Mavs.

Does this mean Mavericks is freeing room for Mike James? :eek: Because this is seriously a bad trade!

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Rock and Deck,

FYI:

I just had my 3rd surgery in 6 years for sinus headaches. The new theory is that polyps grow as a reaction to fungal growth in the sinus cavities, blocking the normal sinus openings. A more likley possibility for air conditioned gypsies than enviromental allergies. But my sinus headaches lasted for months before I went to the otolarygologist (head surgeon)

Hey at least I didn't have gangrene of the scrotum.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we could get Keith Van Horn at a reasonable price (since he's already had his big payday), I wonder how he would fit in the Rocket's rotation. He could be the big PF with range craved by the Rockets. That would leave Steve Novak as a true SF behind T-Mac.