1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: James to meet with Avery; decision could come tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Rockets Dynasty

PLAYER OPTION

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If James has an offer for a player option then thats as good as it gets.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Mavs get James someone plays 'Make a (Big) Deal' with DHarris as 'the' primo dealee piece.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That doesn't make sense. A PO is better than guaranteed. He would have the option to opt out if he thought he could get more money.

Can't we offer a 6 year deal with the TE? I would prefer it to a 5 year MLE deal.

5. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I agree, but what if he is injured. If his career (hypothetically) is over in 2 years, due to a career ending injury, can he claim the 5th year from a hospital bed? etc.... :rolleyes:

6. Rockets Dynasty

No I think a 6 year deal is only if Toronto had his full Bird rights, which they don't.

7. crash5179

well...it is a player option not a team option. as far as I know the agent only needs to notify the team by a certain point that the player intends to pick up his option. If I was a player and suffered a career ending injury playing for a team you can be damn sure I would pick it up.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

who cares? we gave Kelvin fricking Cato more money/years than that!

9. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

I didn't finish reading so don't know if anyone's commented yet. Coach Johnson lives in The Woodlands and has for the last four years....

10. crash5179

Even worse...how many years did we pay Matt Maloney for watching games via NBA league pass?

11. crash5179

Maybe we can get him to sign with us as our new coach when his contract is up in Dallas? :D

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No excuses, the Rockets must sign Mike James.

13. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Send in Sura!

14. qian

qian Contributing Member

Exactly, even if it means it may cost 6 or 7 more million dollars. It is called market price when there is limited good goods. You do not want to overpay, fine, somebody else will. You saved some money today but you will lose more in the long run.

Now I am praying for Mavs offering him only a 3 year MLE deal which I am not sure now :D

15. noize

noize Contributing Member

If we can't land MJ here...then I will pee on someones face. :mad:

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How is "James meeting with the Mavs on Monday" in any way surprising to anyone today? Fox/Berman reported it on Thursday and I posted the gist of that report on the site (http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1341/rockets_meet_with_mike_james_in_vegas/).

Just my hunch ... but I would be floored if James opted for any team but Houston ... there would have to be significantly more cash involved for him for that to happen, I would think.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't buy this.
    why would james care if the 5th year is guaranteed of if it's his option to pick it up? 5th year player option is just as good if not better then being a 5th year guaranteed.

my conclusion is either:
    A) i don't know what i'm talking (likely)
    B)WFAN doesn't know what they're talking about (also likely)
    C) you're completely making this up (based on your lack of ever having a link for anything- HIGHLY LIKELY)

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

What? I used to think you were cool, but now I don't! :D :D

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

S-E-N-S-A-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-S-M.

A few brains around here will implode shortly after the news is announced that Mike James is having a face-to-face meeting with Pat Riley at 11:45pm tonight. ;)

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

WFAN? LOL. I'm having an impression that this guy is Ming_7_6 (who's notorious for pulling dumb rumors out of his arse) under a different SN...