1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket Sighting - Robert Reid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewRoxFan, May 10, 2010.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I was at the Woodlands Tinseltown theaters, waiting for the 2:20pm showing of Iron Man 2 (in the theater), and all of a sudden a tall man sitting in the front of the theater stands up, turns around, and announces: "I have to take the opportunity to say this...", introduces himself as Robert Reid of the Houston Rockets, and wishes all the moms in the theater a happy mother's day.

No, I didn't have a camera. :p

Wished I could have gotten up to him at the end of the movie to introduce my 11 year old daughter to him... I read an 2009 interview that said he was helping coach an AAU team and my daughter plays for a local AAU team. He was in the seats closest tothe exit and was out pretty quickly.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I met him at an Austin Toros game with my 2 boys.......and he was unbelievably gracious, said that the true hero they should look up to was their father.

Just a class act....

DD

#2 DaDakota, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  3. Steve_Francis_rules

I met Robert Reid at a basketball camp when I was a kid. This was years after he had retired and I didn't know who he was at the time. I was just sitting around talking with him for several minutes. He was a really nice guy.

4. Curly

Curly Member

Pretty cool story to see RR. I met him in the 80's and he was s cool cat back then too.

I do have a question though, didn't it feel a little odd for him to do that? I mean I took the fam to Fiesta Texas yesterday and I didn't get up on top of roller coaster platform and say "I'm Curly from Clutchfans, and I want to wish every mother here a happy Mothers Day". Sure, he has a game or two more under his belt than I do, but it sort of sounds like he was needing a little love from the people.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you sure it wasn't Billy Dee Williams?

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like if Robert Reid was portrayed on South Park or something, or maybe a dream you had? Are you sure it wasn't a dream you had? I bet it was a dream.

7. monster

monster Member

Bring back Bobby Joe Reed. Camp him out on the perimeter and watch him rain 3's.

8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

My luck he would have sat in front of me at the theater. :grin:

Bobby Joe!

9. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

He saved our asses in 1986. Ralph Sampson missed John Lucas getting 400 alley opps per game, but Bobby Joe played Magic really well in the WCF. Imagine someone doing that now - your backup small forward swtiches to freaking point gaurd and leads you to the finals? How is that not a bigger story?

Remember when he went on sabatical for a year? I wonder what the real story was behind that. he came back 50x mellower. I think it was 1982. I was heartbroken. I think Rudy retired the smae year... maybe those were a year apart. Regardless, that 79-80 Moses, Rudy, Calvin, Robert Reid era was t-h-e- b-e-s-t.

Man, back when Bobby Joe was #50 sporting a huge afro and doing slam dunk contests in pregame warmups - he was unforgettable.

2 people like this.
  10. Metalingus32

Metalingus32 Member

I use to work at the home depot in spring and he use to go in there every once in awhile

11. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

He is a regular at Houston sporting events. When I was younger I saw him at an Astros game and didn't know who he was. I got his autograph anyway because he looked like a player, when I got home I figured out who he was.

Oh yeah - and this was the game Daryl Kyle threw his no-hitter :)

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

he was always one of my favorites

[​IMG]

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I regrettably didnt record the infamous live stream of Robert Reid on 1560 AM, drunk as a skunk liv on the air talking all kinds of craziness. A couple days after Lowry was traded to the Rockets.

14. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Wow I was there the same time you were! didn't see him though.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

How soon before the movie did you arrive? It was before the coming attractions (while the theater lights were still on), and he was sitting (and stood up) at the front right of the theater (#15). Hard to miss... and most men did stand and applaud their wives.

To an earlier poster... yes, it did seem odd at first. I thought it was a sales pitch. :)

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You better duck because the only thing Reid would rain from that distance would be bricks. I loved the player, but he wasn't much of a 3 point shooter. :)

17. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I never knew how he made shots by basically shooting from the back of his head.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Everybody remembers what he did against Magic, but he was initially recognized for doing the same thing to Bird in the Finals.

Was it ever discussed? I remember he was Pentecostal and at the time he hinted that with the attention he received early in his career, he let it go to his head and heart. I thought he had said he was getting into stuff he knew he shouldn't have gotten into, so he took a break from it all. People at the time blamed his mother (Pentecostal minister) for forcing him into the sabbatical, but he denied it.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I was listening to that too. I think there is a podcast of it, its somewhere in a 1560 thread.

Maybe puff/David Nuno can help find it.

Edit, here it is, podcast link at post #44:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4258594

#19 v3.0, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  20. Francis 4 ever

my mom met him in a medical center.