1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket Sighting - JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewRoxFan, May 16, 2010.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Must be my month for seeing ex-Rockets. ;)

My youngest daughter plays AAU ball and we were at a tournament in Katy ysterday (side note: her team won two, lost one, so they play again today).

One of the games played before hers had two evenly matched older girls teams (guessing 14 yrs old), and one of the players took an extremely hard foul and was knocked back had, hitting the back of her head against the floor. Se was OK (suspect a really bad headache today though).

Turns out it was JVG's daughter. He came down and sat with her on the bench the rest of the game. She must be one of that team's better outside shooters,. since they put her in to try a three pt shot at the end of OT (their team was bhind by two with less than 40 seconds left).

No, I didn't have a camera (I am my daughter's team's assistant coach). Andno, he didn't grab the opposing player's leg. :grin:

It must be interesting having JVG as the parent of one of your team's players. Her coach would occasionally make a comment to JVG whiole he was on the bench, and my daughter's coach was trying to approach JVG but lost nerve. JVG seemed pretty quiet as he watched the game, and left for a bit to take (or make) a cell call (perhaps negotiating a new coaching job?).

btw, his brother Stan once criticized AAU basketball as being bad for player developement, echoing criticisms from Bob Knight.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, she sounds like JVG kinda girl, hard fouls and hitting the wood first. :grin:

Thanks for sharing.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Considering he lives in Houston still, I see him all the time, probably 5-6 times a year. I see him walking around around WestU a lot and at school functions where his kids go to the same school as my sister.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I ate lunch right next to him at Freebirds two weeks ago. He was eating alone (quesadillas) so I didn't bother him

5. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I saw JVG at the Chocolate Bar in Rice Village not too long ago. He's a normal guy with a normal family like the rest of us. Naturally I didn't bother him.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I see him running along the Rice outer loop time to time and see him at Rice baseball/basketball games.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

...and NONE of you guys said hello????

8. Convictedstupid

Sorry, Im sort of going to derail this thread.

I saw Jack Sikma at an AAU tournament last year at a place on 1960. His son's team was playing on the court before my little brother's team played. I tried to get a picture but he was with family so I figured it wasn't the best time to call him out. Also why I didn't post a thread, no picture. The peculiar thing to me was this was on a game day at about 1 in the afternoon. I thought all coaches had to be at the Toyota Center by then on game day?

Anyways... Cool story bro.

9. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

u sound like one of those ppl that always tries to 1 up another persons story :cool:

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If I recall, JVG broke his daughters arm one time?

Anyone heard a story like that?

11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I think it was around the time that Morey did a pile driver on that usher.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Rudy T's daughter had broken arms, as well. What's with Rockets coaches?
    ;)