1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Harvard hoops star Duncan feels very, very badly for the children of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2011.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

The debate is not whether the SAT is a good indicator of whether someone is gonna go on to be successful (I think it's a perfectly fine indicator). The debate is whether it is fair to compare state school systems based on a test given to private and home school kids (a point I have made before). 20% of SAT/ACT takers in Wisconsin go to private school and 10% in Texas, yet JV tries to compare the two public school systems based some data set derived from one of these tests. ridiculous.

You are given a data set of a test taken by only public school students of the same age at the exact same time across the country. The only reason the government administers the NAEP is to measure school performance against standards in reading,math,science. And yet liberals choose to base conclusions about public school systems off the SAT instead. That's simply dishonest.

Texas does great with drop out rates:

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_113.asp

White students: Texas 1.8% (national average 2.8%)
    Black students: Texas 6.3% (national average 6.7%)
    Hispanic students: Texas 5.3% (national average 6.0%)

#41 tallanvor, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. mc mark

mc mark Member

And what's the % of those kids being able to do college level work?

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

Well since Texas does better than the national average on the government administered test given to all public school state systems (NAEP), better than most states I would assume. But that would be guessing.

4. mc mark

mc mark Member

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

admittedly, I skimmed the article, but I saw nothing that disproves my guess. You would need to compare the money spent per high school graduate relative to what other states are spending per high school graduate (or something along those lines). Actually the information you are wanting would be even more complicated than that. All this article says is a lot of Texas high school graduates aren't ready for college as far as I can see. It does no comparing to other states, but again I skimmed.

6. mc mark

mc mark Member

The point being using graduation rates as a sign of educational accomplishment is probably not the best indicator of success.

7. meh

meh Member

I can only speak of my own experience. Growing up generally taking magnet classes, I had the misfortune of attending a semester of regular English(or perhaps History?) in 9th grade due to some school error.

In that regular class, the teacher taught in a way you'd think she was talking to r****ded kids. The materials were all things I already learned in middle school. The students were all asking questions and thinking in manners befitting of 5th graders.

And I'm someone who was average in college. Someone who felt a sizable difficulty spike advancing from high school to college. Yet, compared to the students at my high school who didn't attend advanced classes, I felt like a genius. I think it was at that time when I truly realized how badly educated kids are in general.

8. Damion Laverne

It's a shame and Arne Duncan has a point; the state spends more on a jail inmate than it does on a student in public school. I've been in seven different school districts. The last two were almost night and day; Katy ISD actually challenged me a lot (of course, I had great individually talented teachers that actually gave a damn); Klein ISD only did so a little.

What really hurts is seeing the disappointing scores on the SAT for my fellow black students.

Me: 630 / 710 / 610
    TX: 424 / 437 / 417

OUCH! :(

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

How well do the kids who dropped out of this guys school system he was superintendent of do in college? My guess is dropouts do much worse than graduates.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The point is that dumb-ing down the standards in order to have people graduate isn't really saying a lot about the graduates. Yes it says that they may do better than drop outs, but that's not really what they should be compared against.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Well the argument is that we're not spending enough per high school graduates because of Perry.... so Perry decides to screw the students of the, make them less prepared to compete with rest of the country (and with globalization rest of the world) and you're ok with that?

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Electrical Engineering program in UT drops out a lot of students, is that a poor curriculum?

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

But Texas is doing better than the national average by far on the NAEP which is described thusly:

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/about/

So if Texas is doing better than other states on test assessments, than 'dumbing down' is not whats causing them to beat the national average on drop out rates.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Do any of these tests measure the overall athleticism of the student body? I bet students in Texas are more athletic than those in most other states.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't know about that, a high school in the town over cut art, music, and shop for an extra gym class for athletes.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

[​IMG]

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

It measure's 4th and 8th grade right? What about HS? Also what's the participation rate? Is it mandatory? I'd also like to see the data split by 4th and 8th grade for a trend view.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

dropping out is worse than graduating.
    This guys own school system is notorious for high drop out rates.
    This guy should stfu.

19. meh

meh Member

Wouldn't this be an indicator that our educational system sucks bananas? If Texas kids actually learned math and sciences properly in grade school, maybe they wouldn't be dropping out of college?

20. aghast

aghast Member

You have to look at the percentage of freshman who actually graduate high school, not at the gamed "drop-out rate."

Whenever a kid drops out, they're asked, "Are you planning on getting your GED?"
    "No."
    "You're gonna get your GED, right?"
    "No."
    "What's that, you're going to get your GED?"
    "---- you!"
    "We'll put you down as 'Yes.'"

If they can mark a drop-out as saying he's going to get his equivalency diploma, without ever actually following up to see if he follows through, ipso facto he's no longer a drop-out. Problem solved: it's no longer the schools that have failed him, it's the difficulty of licking the stamp on the GED application.

Texas school districts historically do this to game the system, and make their pitiful graduation rates seem better than they actually are.