1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Harvard hoops star Duncan feels very, very badly for the children of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...very-badly-for-the-children-there.php?ref=fpa

So... children and parents of Texas, how has your experience been with public education in the state during Gov. Goodhair's reign?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Perry was horrible for education, he cut too many jobs, and basically did nothing of note as governer, even W was a better governer than Perry.

But, that is not surprising given Perry's poor grades in college, he clearly didn't value education then nor now.

DD

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that Perry's core supporters probably believe all the cutbacks are a good thing or not enough.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cut education, and not military spending....isn't that just peachy...lol...

DD

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I firmly believe Rick Perry wants to eliminate public education altogether. Among other public services, this should alarm people the most. His idea of a have-havenot wet dream.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The scary thing is that if Perry goes, Dewhurst is up next. Imagine a just as crazy but more committed to implementing his crazy version of Perry and you get David Dewhurst.

God help us all.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Perry is/was the worst thing for Texas education. I pretty fiscally conservative, but how are we going to compete against other countries we don't have the intellectual resources to do so. Its bad enough that we are losing the less skilled jobs, we don't need to lose the high skilled ones also.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Public education is a disaster across the country.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just about every day I think about moving back to Texas but then I remember my youngest daughter is starting 4th grade this year.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bellaire is a good HS right? And schools in the 'burbs are good too.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know; I've been avoiding public school as both a student and a parent for the same reason. But, we might enter the system next year, at one of HISD's seperate-but-equal schools.

I see we're putting our emphasis on math! :grin:

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Waiting for Dr. tallanvor to come in and tell us the Sec of Education doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

We'll invade and occupy every country, despite knowing nothing about the people or culture, then we'll wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We only have about 50% of the world military budget. Surely we should have 90% of the world's military budget.

by year 2050 US will have 40% each on military and health care expenditure, then we will be the greatest nation on earth again.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't know who to blame, but my perception is that Texas Public Education has gotten incredibly top heavy in the past 10 years. At least with the school district that I pay my taxes to, we spend more than ever, but very little goes to educating the kids. (Don't forget that Texas has a pretty decentralized education system.) There are way more administrators than there was, and my perception is that very few add value.

Some of the blame is on No Child Left Behind, but not all of it. It may or may not be Perry's fault, but it happened on his watch.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Texas actually has an awesome public school system compared to other states. One of the best in the country. drop-out rates and test scores are very good. Using the SAT and ACT to compare public school systems is incredibly dishonest.

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2011/03/longhorns-17-badgers-1.html

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

where are you? Where do you recommend?

I am in san diego and my daughter is about to enter school. Everytime I think about staying here ,I look around at all the tatted freaks and texas frankly seems pretty normal. I am strongly considering moving back to texas because of this.

I have yet to meet someone from san diego that grew up here, that is normal and doesn't have 112 piercings.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

right on que

1 person likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I dont know, I think that is anywhere. I know plenty of people who grew up in San Diego and are normal. Though, they are mostly from Escondido and surrounding suburbs. The same thing is true in Houston. The city itself isn't so great to grow up in. Only suburbs such as Sugarland, the Woodlands, and Kingwood are worth it to live in.