1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

**** Cole.

He knew exactly what he was getting into.

Remember when the playoffs rolled around and Cole stopped wearing an Astros hat and started wearing a Gerrit Cole hat? Pepperidge Farms remembers….

Tomstro, xcrunner51, eliefor3 and 6 others like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

**** that ********er.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Our nuns are better than their nuns.

desihooper likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I thought it was just at the postgame presser after G7 that he put on the Team Boras hat

Nook likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. No sympathy for the guy at all, he cashed out his career at the first opportunity, so he's getting EXACTLY what he asked for.

He can just sit there with his Yankees b**** haircut and take it.

jim1961, IBTL, eliefor3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It may be, it was years ago. I just remember all his teammates having Astros gear and dip **** was wearing non affiliated gear.

Too bad, because I think he is a decent person other than needing to be coddled- and he was right about his old teammate Trevor Bauer.

Either way - he knew exactly what he was getting into with the Yankees. He has overall largely performed well with the Yankees and has more than earned his contract thus far - but he won’t be remember in NY like he would have been on the Astros.

IBTL, The Beard, Qan and 1 other person like this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yeah it was after the game 7 loss. I think his response annoyed me more. I'm pretty sure his words were something like this. "I'm no longer employed by the Houston Astros. I'm a free agent." I wonder if he came in that inning instead of Harris and had they still lost, would he have still done the same by wearing a Boras hat.

Hopefully he never wins a World Series so he can always think what if I stayed in Houston.

Any idea if Crane was willing to sign both Verlander and Cole? Or was it just 1 of the 2 and he chose Verlander.

IBTL and Nook like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

12. Buck Turgidson

13. The Beard

The Beard Member

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

15. vince

vince Member

I have no animosity for Gerritt Cole. He pitched his butt off for the Astros, “he was Cy Young worthy good”; it’s just unfortunate we lost to the Nationals in the WS. But Cole was an Awesome Astro for 2 postseason runs. The Pirates traded him because they knew he was going to walk for the money.

He’s a professional baseball player, and is a player for hire to the highest bidder. He was well within his rights to seek the compensation that was due per his opinion.

I agree with most here, I’m not going to lose any sleep over his misery, in that the Yankees look pedestrian. For, by seeking the most money, he himself was aware that there was an opportunity cost to getting excellent teammates, and now he has to deal with just good-enough type teammates.

But watching Cole pitch when he’s at the top of his game is quite a sight.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If he didn't take off his Astro hat and put on a "Team Boros" hat in the locker room after the final game, I would agree with you.

He had such contempt for his Astro teammates and wanted out so badly he wasn't even willing to remain a teammmate for an additional hour to mourn with the guys he had gone to battle with.

Screw that guy

And he and Fiers are the only guys I feel that way about.

Tomstro and IBTL like this.
  17. vince

vince Member

Yeah I can definitely respect that. Cole was a punk disrespecting his teammates after a tough loss. He most definitely went full w**** for the money, now he’s sulking because he’s on a disgruntled Yankees team that is tailing off into a losing season.

Fiers is a pice of feces. I’m so embarrassed I was celebrating his no hitter that he threw for the Astros. He’s pond scum, and an embarrassment of a want-to be human being. A snitch, who threw everyone under the bus because his fragile ego was popped by the reality he sucked. And it turns at least all of the MLB teams in the playoff that year cheated. Followed by Boston Cheating their way into a title too. But MLB threw cold water on the scandal to spare everyone else. All because Fiers is a piece of feces.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

On culture, attitude, management, history and players at the time, I agree.
    But the Yankees had had 3 consecutive .600 win% seasons in a row prior to his arrival.
    In the 4 years he has been with the team, they have been above .600 only once. They may not be above .500 this year.

This is not a defense of Cole or his actions, but he did think he was joining a contending team with a recent history of winning.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure he thought he was joining a winning team - and in general he has won a winning team. They won 99 games last year and like 92 the year before. He shouldn't have assumed he would be joining a franchise that would consistently win around 100 games because the Yankees had a good decade where they were good but not great, and the Yankees when they got Cole they were already an older team.

Wins are not always guaranteed - but with the Yankees, the expectations are very high from the fans and media, and players signed as free agents are typically viewed as mercenaries and not loved by the fans.

Having said that - yes, I agree with you, I think he believed he would compete every year for a World Series ring.

20. Nick

Nick Member

I didn't have as big of an issue with his antics after game 7... he was pissed they lost and I'm sure the media wasn't on best terms with the clubhouse given all the recent antics.

That being said, I still remember how much of a middling/dissapointing pitcher Cole was in the eyes of many when the Astros acquired him before 2018. NOBODY thought he had what ended up transpiring in him. They knew he was good and the Astros did give up decent pieces for him... but he went from solid potential all-star to potential most dominant season stuff ever overnight. Pitchers like that aren't magically available no matter how poor the Pirates were. They also didn't think he was capable of THAT.

The fact that Cole hasn't really publicly given any sort of credit to the Astros or Stromm (or Maldy) for helping induce that turnaround is surprising. He's basically given himself all the credit. The Astros should collect royalties on his (at the time) biggest pitcher contract ever... his career earnings are directly tied to how they fixed him.

Meanwhile, JV has continued to say time and time again how the Astros helped get him back to a level of dominance that other teams also thought was no longer there... and he's still able to be dominant 6+ years later.