1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

msn likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Already back to the IL for Springer.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

JD's Martinez with a paltry 1.153 OPS.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Blue Jays fans starting to have Tulowitzski PTSD.

That being said, Springer was always prone to a tweak/strain/tear here/there. He missed time in multiple years with Houston. He plays hard, runs hard, field hard, swings hard... as he gets older, his body simply will not be able to handle that day-in/day-out sort of stress.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Im sure the likelihood of increased injury risk for Springer as he ages was at least part of why Houston didn’t make him a more competitive offer. I think the same is true for Correa; SS that big with a history of back problems don’t tend to keep playin that position at a high level into their mid 30s.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd actually say Correa's problems have a better chance of stabilizing/improving vs. that of Springer (or even Bregman). As far as we know, nothing was structurally wrong with the back, had more to do with the sort of weight-lifting/training (or lack of proper training/stretching) more than anything else. And he's young enough... hence why a 6 year deal was proposed (with a lower AAV mainly due to expectation of either missed time or a generally lower ceiling than previously thought of).

Yes, one more injury and that theory blows up in smoke... but Correa seems to be more like the Stanton variety (something will eventually get him, randomly, but if he plays a full season a lot of those concerns dissipate and the labels start to go away).

7. Screaming Fist

We will have to see how they approach Story and Baez to see if their lack of making a serious offer to Correa was due to Correa or because they simply don't want to make that kind of financial commitment to a single player. Even with $50 million to spend I wouldn't be surprised if they zero in on a second tier candidate like Semien or maybe even Simmons.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It would not surprise me at all if they went for a player willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal. It also wouldn’t surprise me if they avoided free agency altogether, and traded for a 3rd tier guy like Adames, Andrus, or Rojas. I speculated that a trade for Manuel Margot and Willy Adames from TB seems to make a lot of sense to me. A lot probably depends on how Straw, Leon, and Pena are projected by the end of this season.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  9. scottygonzalez

Going to see the Salt Lake Bees - Reno Aces game tonight. Corbin Martin is the scheduled starter for the Aces and I'm hoping to see Reddick, Beer and Jamie Ritchie in the starting lineup. Humberto Castellanos is also on the opening day roster. James Hoyt on the Bees side. I'll report back what I see!

awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Gerrit Cole pitched 7 innings today and allowed two runs. His team lost 7-4.

mikol13, awc713, Pringles and 7 others like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mike Fiers gives up 5 runs in 3.1 innings.

Springer to the DL, his team scores 9 runs in 6 innings

Marwin Gonzalez goes 1-4 to RAISE his average to .207. Slugging around .290.

Grossman goes 1-5. Hitting around. 200. Slugging around .310.

Jordan Lyles gives up 3 in 5 innings and LOWERS his 7+ ERA.

Jonathan Villar goes 0-3. Hitting around .230.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Fiers (0-2), in his second start of the season, went 3 1/3 innings, giving up five runs on nine hits. He walked two and struck out two.

:D

xcrunner51 and King1 like this.
  14. scottygonzalez

Back to give thoughts on former Astros from the Bees game last night:

Reddick: 0-5, same old Reddick. Easy pop flies and grounders into the shift. I don't envision he'll have much MLB opportunity anymore unless he goes on a hot streak, but he did not look anything above a fringe MLB player at this point. We did get some "wooos" from the crowd..interesting in SLC from the visiting team, people still recognize to do that.

Corbin Martin: he looked pretty solid until he lost command in the 5th. Think he just allowed a few hits until he issued 2-3 walks in the 5th inning, and ended up being responsible for 1 run, gave up 2 hits, 4 walks and 8 strikeouts in 4 & 2/3 innings. This was his first live game since TJ surgery in 2019, so overall a pretty solid outing.

Seth Beer: 3-4, 2 doubles. He looked very good, played 1st base, I didn't notice any suspect defense. This guy can hit, I hope we don't kick ourselves several years down the road for the Greinke trade. He hit the ball with authority.

Snake Diggit and awc713 like this.
  15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Wade Miley pitched a no hitter.

msn likes this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Good for Miley. Too bad Wade Miley forgot how to pitch at the end of the 2019 season.

#2616 marks0223, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    No Worries likes this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Astros legend Wade Miley!

punkoholic likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I like Chris Taylor. Can play SS and CF

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Good for Miley, seemed like a real nice guy. That collapse at the end of 19 was some strange stuff.

jiggyfly, raining threes and awc713 like this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't really start paying attention to the Astros until the mid-90s. I never realized that Baggie's exaggerated batting stance, with the spread out feet and huge squat, wasn't really there as a rookie. At what point did he make that change?

Buck Turgidson likes this.