1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Yes; exactly. They're fine, long-term, with a solid core to build around. As I initially said.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You mean 3 or 4 steps back, right?

Long term, agreed.

I have to think that the brass will stick to their long term strategy (a healthy and ongoing strong farm system). We had to move some prospects to keep good ones from being scooped up in rule 5 and basically loosing them for nothing. But there is a line in the sand where moving too many prospects weakens the farm. I suspect we are near that line now and will be more cautious moving forward in respect to Giles type deals.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

It's a step back, and honestly, not a terribly surprising one given that the team seemingly acted like a fan and overreacted to the final month of the season, failing to address what were actually much larger issues with this team, issues that still linger.

They'll be fine.

4. The Beard

The Beard Member

Agree the long term outlook is great

Is it even a tiny bit concerning that of the 3 "core" young stars everyone mentions, one was acquired by Purpura, one by Wade and one by Luhnow?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Why would that be a concern?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Not really.

The Astros have done exceptionally well building their minor league system since Luhnow took over. Also the other likely building pieces (McCullers / Bregman / Martes) all came from Luhnow.

Honestly, if Bregman can play third, then the Astros will solve another long term issue.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

As did Reed and Musgrove.

8. Nook

Nook Member

No one wants to hear it (me included) but the Astros have a lot of the pieces in the minor leagues, that they lack at the big league level.

They have a first baseman (Reed), a probable DH (White), they have a third baseman (Bregman/Moran). The rotation needs high upside arms and there are those as well (Martes/Musgrove/Abreu and McCullers).

Even elite bullpen arms are going to be ready soon.

We are thin at catcher, but that can be addressed easily enough.

We will be thin in the outfield next season with Rasmus and Gomez gone. However if we are getting offense at 3rd base and 1st base/DH; it is quite possible Marisnick fills one of the outfield spots with Springer in right field.
    That leaves a single spot in the outfield.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Rasmus was brought back again. Either way, the OF FA crop is pretty deep next season with 2nd tier players Houston might be able to actually sign.

10. The Beard

The Beard Member

Only bring it up because a lot of people, not all but a lot, seem to feel that Luhnow has brought a lot of young studs into the organization. We have a lot of young prospects, but the core young studs weren't only 1/3 his doings

11. The Beard

The Beard Member

No doubt our farm is strong as just about any. Not sure how many people realize the success rates of prospects is typically not great though. We will get help, but just saying Reed to 1B Moran to 3B Breg to LF Musgrove and Martes to the rotation and the world is great again... Isn't how it typically works

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Has he not? Pretty sure one of them won AL ROY last year and another one's continued absence is a reason the Astros are off to such a terrible start.

13. Nick

Nick Member

Keuchel could have been left for dead based on his early production with the previous regime... Luhnow (for whatever reason) decided to hang onto him. Even if it was blind luck, he gets credit for hanging on to Keuchel (especially if we are quick to give him blame for getting rid of potential future aces in trades, before they've fully developed).

Still way too early to judge Luhnow's drafts one way or the other. There's also value in quantity of quality players... vs. the occasional great player. His one signature star (Correa), along with front-line pitcher (LMJ) may outshine all the rest of them... and the players yet to come (Reed, Bregman, Daz, Tucker, Musgrove) may all combine to be key figures that outweigh what was ultimately derived from the Pupurra + Wade tenures.

I agree that sometimes Luhnow gets a tad more credit for building up the minor leagues... when there's still a lot of work to be done at the MLB level (something that Wade actually proved he could do moreso than Luhnow has done thus far).... but much like his drafts, still too early to judge.

14. The Beard

The Beard Member

I agree it's way too early to judge

Guess I'm just a little more worried than some that all of these prospects aren't going to be the whole answer

I'm certainly ready to see a couple of them though

15. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

chris carter with another home run

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

I can see why the Twins are at the bottom.

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing you you b****ed when the Stros didn't draft Buxton.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

I was just observing.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stros' farm system is more middle of the pack now after all the recent call ups.

McCullers and White should no longer be mentioned in the group.

20. Buck Turgidson

You should stick to that.