1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[FORMAL WEAR] How many NECKTIES (of any kind) do you have?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 22, 2012.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Don't ask me why, but I've always thought of SwoLy more like....

[​IMG]

I wonder if SwoLy drinks tacitas de cafe...:confused:

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Just added these to the classifieds.

[​IMG]

Gotta love Italian ties and 7-Folds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mmm... that spread

To be honest, I'd advise clutchfans to avoid name brands and full retail price for ties. Some have fabrics that are really rare and special, but for most everyday patterns, you can find great quality on a budget. There are boutiques in Italy and around the world with brands no one has heard of that sell very well-constructed ties and great quality fabric at a fraction of the price.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

From @irockatie in Instagram:

[​IMG]

I don't agree with MOST combinations, but here are some more ideas. :eek: This is me today:

[​IMG]

I am more of an old-fashioned, simple, traditional look guy.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have about 25. Used to wear them everyday for work.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wore them when I sold cars. Now wear them to the 2 special events I'm required to go to a year, and holiday events.

#65 CCorn, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I have 50 and as more are added, an equal number are removed. Most are replaced ever 2-3 years but there are some hold over ties such as ones by Vitaliano Pancaldi and Zegna ties.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Well over 100 since I wear them 5-6 days per week. My favorite are made by Luigi Borrelli. I buy a new tie every month and before a trial/big meeting, and I donate the ones I don't wear anymore at the end of the year.

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had 60 or so until Ike hit and destroyed my house. They were all ruined. Now I only have 5-6 because I no longer have to wear them every day for work.

9. SwoLy-D

I will take your second-hand ones. :eek:

A good fourth or third part of all mine are from thrift stores and people believe they're BRAND NEW. :grin:

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I actually just gave all my ties away except for a few basic natural colored ones. Now the question for me is how many Golf/Dri-Fit shirts do I own.

11. SwoLy-D

We're not talking brands, man. Are they paying you for the advertisement? ;) ^

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Any other recommendations? I'm trying to add to my collection. I have about 20-25 right now but I also have to wear one Monday through Thursday and anytime we meet with clients, go to court or mediations etc.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love that my answer is two.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

10 or so...not really sure.

15. SwoLy-D

Weddings and funerals only? :confused:

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Ive got about 30..ranging from a few ferragamo prints which I rarely wear. I have a lot of knit ties with the flat bottom as well as traditional bottom. I also have some wool ties. Most of them are of the skinny width 2.5" compared to traditional 4" width though.

17. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

As mentioned in the thread, I got into ties as a hobby a while back (actually already left that phase). Ties aren't functional but somehow I enjoy the look, personality statement, and weight on chest. I personally only own <10 ties presently. I might be able to help as I've bought and sold a decent range of them for fun.

What kind of ties are you into? Flashy? Classic? Hipster? Is fabric, design, or construction the most important? What occasion? Price point?

The two high-end tie brands I will usually suggest to people are Marinella and Drakes (of London). These are top tier tie makers of classic styles, who can make to order, and you'll find each tie has immaculate build quality. The fabrics are also top notch and they often only use natural dyes.

However, unless you spend time on Ebay or fashion forums, they will set you back $150-225 a piece. The red Drakes tie I had selling here before, I was able to get for under $35, pre-owned but in near-perfect condition. There are plenty of good tie makers at more economical price points.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I didnt count, but around 15-20 I am sure.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

63 in active rotation.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have 2 and my co-worker gave me some of his that I rotate for big meetings.

I need to get a black tie doe... lost mine when I moved from HTown.