1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget Lebron hype what's up with the Carmelo hype?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dave_78, May 28, 2009.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I had been thinking the hype around Melo since the Denver/LA series started was a bit premature but today I heard something that was just stupid.

On yahoo sports, Kenny Smith just claimed that Carmelo Anthony has now surpassed Dwyane Wade. Say what? Do I need to pull stats (or playoff wins) here or does everyone else agree that is ridiculous?

It got me thinking that Carmelo had a good game 1 vs. LA but since then has not really been much of a factor. When I took a look at the stats in this series it was worse than I thought.

PPG: 28
    FG%: .415
    FT%: .833
    rpg: 5.4
    apg: 4

Now those are pretty good stats but I don't see how they merit the type of hype he is getting. He's shooting AI percentages from the field and isn't exactly dominating the boards or setting other guys up. How can you be in Lebron and Kobe's class (and better than Wade) when the commentators are discussing if your team is actually playing better without you during a game (like game 4).

McGrady had better stats in the playoffs last year than Melo does this year and I never heard anything about McGrady being better than Wade or in the same class as Lebron or Kobe.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

... and the Magic could have easily swept the Cavs if it wasn't for LeBron's buzzer-beater. Silly Kenny.

4. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

The league is running out of options if the "star" players can't make it to the Finals. They have to hype someone even if its garbage.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Artest/Battier would be holding Anthony to about 38-41% from the field right about now...

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Everyone knows he isn't on Lebron and Kobe's level.

Sports news/blogs/commentators are just using him as material because a) he's in the conference finals and b) he's his teams highest scorer. A team's top scorer always gets hyped in the playoffs.

Also low fg%'s in the playoffs isn't all that uncommon amongst star players. Melo is actually shooting a very respectable 45.9% throughout the entire playoffs up to this point.

7. 1individual

1individual Member

Theres no way Melo is better than Wade. Put a good defender on him and he won't be productive. Look at his games against us in the regular season.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he may not be on kobe/lebron or even wade level (i'm not the biggest wade fan) but he is definitely next tier.

the guy is 25 tomorrow, in six years he's averaged 24-6

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Carmelo is a lazy defender. So many times last night I saw him lose his man or not help. He's a great scorer but he could be doing much more to help his team.

10. Asian Sensation

He's averaging 27 points on .460 these playoffs and was a big part of taking the Nuggets to the Western Conf Finals. Sure he's not not on Kobe/LBJ's level but he deserves some props after falling off the map the previous 2 or so years and the Nuggets had thoughts of moving him.

I still think more credit should go towards Billups but Melo has been playing well.

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I'm a big Melo fan but I agree, there is no way he better than Wade.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Melo was average 30 points a game while shooting 47 percent before AI got to Denver. The guy can flat out score, he just did little else until this season.

13. Mr. Space City

he's not better than wade but he is the 4th best perimeter scorer in the leauge.

he is a great slasher
    he can drive and get the foul and get an and1
    he can shoot the 3 ball
    he can shoot mid range jumpers
    he can even post you up
    and even a great offensive rebounder

he is very versatile on offense

14. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I think Melo has been playing pretty well and it looks like hes stepped up on his D too. Sure his FG% isn't that great, but as a player I think he had grown a lot since these playoffs started. No hes not a better player than Wade, but I think he can get there pretty soon.

15. Asian Sensation

And he probably would've continued to do little else if weren't for the Billups trade. That's why I'm saying Billups deserves more credit. He brought a winning attitude/culture with him and it rubbed off on guys like Melo... JR Smith.. Birdman etc.

16. Bruce

Bruce Member

Melo was dominating this series before his ankle injury.
    It was immediately obvious that it was affecting his play.
    Before the injury melo was shooting 53% after it, 30%.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I just don't get what the big deal about him is. He's a slightly better version of Glenn Robinson.

The thing that sticks out to me when I watch him play is that he does not finish consistently around the basket nearly as well as the really special wing players like LeBron, Kobe, and Wade. On close shots, he shot only 49% from the field, and had 18% of his attempts blocked. Wade shot 59% and had 9% of his shots blocked. LeBron shot 65% and had 10% of his shots blocked. Kobe shot 60% and had 10% of his shots blocked.

#17 durvasa, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Actually, Melo's best season came last year, playing with AI. He shot 49.2%, 25.7 pts, and 7.4 boards. This year he was at 44.3%, 22.8 pts and 6.8 boards. I agree Billups is a better fit for their team but people really underrate the difference having a big man rotation of Martin/Nene/Birdman as apposed to Martin/Camby/Najera. That is a huge upgrade in talent.

You would if you could stop comparing him to players who are clearly much better than him.

I just don't get how everyone has to dog Melo yet if you bring up Danny Granger everyone would be gushing about him.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I knew there was something familiar about his game. That's exactly what he is an upgraded version of Glenn Robinson, versatile offensive player (but Melo has better post skills) and about the same defensively.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Ratings. They have to do everything they can to pump up potential finals players...if they can't have Kobe they need to have made Melo out to be a superstar. (actually I'm totally talking out of my a$$, but you never know) I do think he's a great player and having Chauncey around/playing with Team USA has made his game better, but he isn't on the same level as Wade, Kobe and Lebron.