1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

forget about Webber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Onepaks, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

Well, according to Nbatalk, Webber wants to play with Spree and the knicks so we can forget about him joining our team next year. We have a chance but it looks like impossible. They also showed all the top 2001 free abgents and it looks like ****. Only Webber, Lewis (if he signs a 1 year deal with Sonics), Finley and Mutumbo are good. But I dont want Mutumbo. Finley is a 2 guard and we are stacked with that position. Lewis, is he worth the Max? Maybe, but its not sure yet if he's a free agent and if so, it looks like he's committed with Seattle. Its only Webber that we need but it looks like we wont get.

Also, why is that the Rockets are not in the list of the top players in next years FA market. Are we over or under the cap?

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

nbatalk will post one thing today and one thing tomorrow. It's still a year before he becomes a free agent, let's not forget just yet.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

3. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Webber was on the radio last week on Hot 97 here in NYC with Funk Master Flex and he said on the air that he wants to get a ring and be on a team that will get him there. He said that he wouldn't mind playing with Spree and the Knicks.

------------------
    www.takeoutmusic.com- the future of independent music

4. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Loaded at the 2? Finley's an all-star and we do not have anything close to him at the 2. We won't even have a half-way decent shooting guard if Mobes leaves.

------------------
    Tom Archer
    www.sourcedna.com

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

right now the rockets are over the cap.

next year they will be under. a lot or a little, depending on if they sign players this year and get rid of big contracts like Walt's.

getting Webber is unlikely. Things have to happen. Sacramento has to suck and appear as if they have no future, which I could easily see happening. That should make Webber look elsewhere.

Then it's up to Houston to lure him with moolah and their organization. Of teams that may be able to land him, I think Houston's chances would be pretty high. But surely Detroit would have the edge, esp if they land Rose.

But it is important for the Rockets to at least be in the position to offer him plenty of money.

And of course if someone on a NY show asked him if he would like to play there, why wouldn't he say yes? Doesn't mean that is the way he truly feels or that it is at all likely.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Shandon is more than halfway decent.

and no way Houston gets Finley.

------------------

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Is Anderson really an above-average starting SG? In all honesty?

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited July 24, 2000).]

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

in a word, oakdogg: no.

and i would love for someone to give me 1 legitimate reason why houston would be webber's first choice over detroit (hello! hometown!) or la or ny or sac or anyone who could fit him in next year...

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yes.

how about money and Steve Francis and some pretty good building blocks.

but even if the Kings suck enough to make Webber want to leave, I don't count on getting Webber. But the door has to be left open.

------------------

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

here's hoping that he'll walk through the pearly gates...

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

11. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Actually, I sat with Doc Rivers on a flight from Orlando to Atl last week and one thing that he said that caught my attention was that he thinks that the Rockets are mishandling the minutes and positions with regards to Shandon and Mobley.

Obviously, this is just his opinion, but the man probably knows more basketball than most of us combined. Anyway, one thing he said was that Shandon is best when at the small forward position and Mobley should be starting at shooting guard.

Alas, I do agree that we'll never get Finley (regardless of whether Mobley leaves), but it's nice to dream some time [​IMG]

------------------
    Tom Archer
    www.sourcedna.com

12. SlamN

SlamN Member

If Cato continues to develop and we sign a young gun like Lewis, Webber may look at Houston. Francis is going to be an All-Star PG. Anderson is an above average SG and Lewis appears to be a All-Star in the making. Mobes would only make us look better. Add a few draft picks for depth and you have a pretty good contender.

The Knicks are on the decline. Ewing will be gone next year and Johnson will be soon to follow. Only Spree and Houston remain that are threats. Camby may be there but is hard to count on due to his slight frame.

Since he wants to play in a big market and win a ring, maybe he should look to LA. They need a PF and always seem to work around the cap. How the hell did they end up with that lineup anyway?

------------------