1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford: Valanciunas would be the #2 pick in 2012 draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rivers, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Rivers

Rivers Member

According to Chad Ford, Valanciunas would be 2nd pick in 2012 draft class.
    What are your thoughts? Would he be the best center prospect this year? Is he already better than the likes of Myers, Patrick Young or Sullinger? Where would Jonas land this year?

Here are some of his highlights from 2012 season.
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/xUPDwI72xPk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/xUPDwI72xPk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/m1RO2P6XCDo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/m1RO2P6XCDo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1xMkYT9bVXE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1xMkYT9bVXE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/zow_ycypJ18?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/zow_ycypJ18?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p3wPCPNOC9w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p3wPCPNOC9w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I only wanted to know unbias opinion of Rockets fans who have witnessed the greatness of the best center ever to play the game :rolleyes:

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Of course he is. This isn't even close.

So yeah, I agree with Ford.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Morey tried to move up to get him last year... I agree, at this point he would go #2 or #3

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rockets really wanted him, felt he was going to be a special player. It will be interesting to see if the Jazz made a mistake taking Kanter (who I really liked) over him.

Valanciunas looks a little goofy to me at times, but he's young, improving and has great size -- long arms. He really could be something.

I wonder if Andre Drummond is still considered to be in this draft class and, if so, what his draft stock looks like. I know there are some concerns about him, but his size and athleticism are so tempting.

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I'm not really impressed with this draft class in terms of star talent and now I've been seeing ESPN flashes that say a lot of guys who may come like Kidd-Gilchrest, Quincy Miller, and Zeller the Indiana kid are leaning towards returning to school.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We got Donuts for a Memphis future first, and Miller's contract. I'll live with that.:)

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Obviously if that happens, the draft class will suffer.

Otherwise, hard to see how this class wouldn't be head and shoulders above last years 1-10.

On Jonas, I think it's just too hard to make any conclusions as a random fan on the internet. Being an international scout predicting how a kid's game and mindset will translate to the NBA is probably very difficult. Trying to do so with even more limited knowledge, on the internet, is freaking impossible.

8. Coherent

Coherent Member

Wow these highlights are pretty impressive. He will probably come to Toronto and be a 16, 10 and 2 guy in his first season. This video shows the true amount of potential in Valanciunas, and it looks like he actually has developed even over the past year.

9. kapeci7

kapeci7 New Member

Dude plays like Lamarcus Aldridge

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Toronto totally stole him with the 5th pick

He's so damn aggressive in the low post with his offense and defense, still raw as hell but still young as hell.

Looks like they finally found a bruiser to complement Barg-Nani, in fact he is like the anti Bargs

11. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wonder how Ford would project D-Mo if he were in this 2012 draft class.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, he is akward.... but he is so long, in the same way that Pau Gasol is long, he is literally at the rim with his hands up... but he has a wider frame, and puts on weight easier... kind of like Z before he was hurt.

In the modern game, becoming an 18/10/2 center means he is a top 3 center in the league, and with his length, hands, agressiveness and activity, there is no reason he cannot be a 15-20 pt a game scorer and double digit rebounder.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I thought this was the guy they'd trade up for...would've have been a great pick up/steal.

14. AFS

AFS Member

I think Cavs missed out on him at 4. They should have drafted him and then tanked this season as well. Suddenly, next season they are rolling with three top5 picks.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's gonna be Davis at 1; who knows where Drummond will end up. The best big man UConn's produced in the past decade plus was Okafor, but when you think about it, so much talent passed through that program I'm surprised no one else really panned out as well (Josh Boone, Charlie Villanueva, Jeff Adrien, Thabeet obviously).

Davis is so out of his league in the NCAA it's not funny. He's got a Kevin Garnett body and was originally a guard, so who knows how his moves or shooting touch are. He hasn't had any opportunity to try them out.

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This. Tho his body obviously isn't a bruiser type (yet), I like how Valanciunas plays.

Unlike that Illinois kid, Meyer (?) who looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah I noticed that too, he seems to be heavily reliant on his length to finish inisde the paint. Although his surprisingly did not measure as long as one would think. He measured with a 7'4 wingspan and 9'3 standing reach, fantastic measurements but not elite.

There's plenty of guys at the NBA level who can match his length, but with additional power or athleticism.

Just to give you some perspective here's some guy's with greater length:
    DeMarcus Cousins: WS 7'6 / SR 9'5
    DeAndre Jordan: WS 7'6 / SR 9'6
    Brook Lopez: WS 7'5.5 / SR 9'5
    Javale McGee: WS 7'6 / SR 9'6.5
    Dwight Howard: WS 7'4.5 / SR 9'3.5
    Nikola Vucevic: WS 7'5 / SR 9'4

Each one of these guys has superior length in addition to also having either superior strength or athleticism in comparison to Valanciunas.

So with that said, who know's how effective he'll be at using length at the NBA level.

18. conquistador#11

no one is answering the real question. what would d- mo be projected at? other than 14th? =)
    thanks in advance.

19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

From a talent stand point, I would take Drummand over everyone. He should be a senior in highschool, and he is already stronger then Amare Stoudamire. A report came out that he was the fastest kid on the team right now! He has a ton to learn but if I had the first pick I would consider him over Davis. Worst case senario I would take him two.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't wait to follow Davis in the NBA next year. I might try to watch every game. Haven't been this interested in a rookie since KD and Rose. I hope he goes to a team I like.