1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford back, Braggs waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Nov 23, 2003.

1. thumbs

thumbs Member

When Ford was with Phoenix, he played against the Rocks several times and hurt us every time. He is unafraid when going inside, and that is what JVG likes. JVG doesn't like him making "rookie" fouls, but that is just a matter of instruction.

When Ford was drafted by the Suns, he thought (according to press reports) that he would kill the league. He couldn't believe he went so low. IMO since that time realism has taken root in his head, and now he wants to be a player. He's home and he has the right kind of coaching. Much as I still love Rudy, his strength was not in teaching rookies how to play.

I am pleased we are keeping Ford, nothing against Braggs, mind you, but I think Ford has the greater value in the long run. When Ben Davis is healed, they may well bring Braggs back.

2. pariah

pariah Member

Theory of Relativity - that is to say, unless Ford was a relative of the head coach, he was not going to receive meaningful minutes ahead of Googs and AMARE.

Does that suffice? :D

3. amare

amare Member

googs more deserving??? please explain? :confused:

4. knwldg

knwldg Member

Wait, isn't this a mute point once Pike is activated?

Maybe a move to save some change by resigning Ford and keeping him on the IR, just in case.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, can the Rox sign free agents like Ford to 2 - 10 day contracts before having to sign him for the season or waive him for the year? (curious how this works now)

Braggs was full of hustle with that edge of something to prove.

Ford has had the "potential" since UH, but should have stayed to realize it before making the jump.

In any regard, someone will have to go on the IR tonite.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Goog was a good player before he had all those injury problems. He was a good 3rd option to KG and Marbury in Minnesota.

6. danjojo

danjojo Member

If Googs is that much better then him, then i really don't see what he's gonna bring to the Rockets...we need to go fishing elsewhere for our PF

7. jeerome

jeerome Member

what?? shoulda kept braggs and ford, and can MOT!

moT cant rebound!

8. wardellp

wardellp Member

Something is up...................:confused:

9. Pipe

Pipe Member

Seems like the only way we bring Braggs back is if we cut Ben Davis, which we can't do while he is injured. I was trying to find out Ben Davis' status. All I could find is that he had surgery on his right knee and was placed on the IR on October 27th. Can anyone shed more light on Davis?

10. eyhab27

eyhab27 Member

i was walking to work today when i overheard someone on his cell phone who overheard someone else who thought heard a rumor about the rockets trading for KG... oohhhhh my god!!

11. knwldg

knwldg Member

Ok, Ford back, Braggs gone, Pike back, Wilks on IR.

I guess we are gearing for a more physical presence in the front court?

My only issue with this is that that leaves, Steve starting point, with Mooch still as the second string PG and no one behind him......

I'm at a lost.

(On a positive note..... WELCOME BACK PIKE!)

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Ouch...

Can't help but laugh every time I think of this quote.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Nope, I still don't get this one. Why cut Braggs and keep Meech?

MOVE NOT UNDERSTOOD

14. ArtV

ArtV Member

Meech would get paid to stay at home. I don't think Braggs would. From a teams standpoint, you are correct. But I think they are hoping to find someone desperate for a C to trade with. Washington? And I'd say from JVG recent comment (he's no longer trying to be nice about it), he's never going to showcase his "skills" for the Rockets - ever.

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Meech serves as motivation and a reminder to all the other rockets players. Him sitting on the bench all game, every game tells the other players that if you pretty much suck and you stay out of shape (i.e. grow man boobs), you get to sit on the bench and do nothing!

The players just do better when they see his scrubby ass on the bench :D

16. hulk

hulk Member

Great idea. But it is too cruel for Meech.

17. DJ

DJ Member

Why didn´t we waive Mike Wilks instead?

18. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

aww not wilks. he works hard
    how about meech instead?

19. iOrange

iOrange Member

Because Moochie is much worse than MoT, Cato, Eddie, Padget....

20. persiandog

persiandog Member

i'm assuming pike comes back tonight versus the clips, and we put wilks on the IR. i would rather have kept braggs and ford on the roster (one on IR, other active), and cut wilks. we have some versatility on our roster at the guard/small forward positions, therefore not in dire need of retaining a guard. plus i've always been a big fan of hustle guys, and braggs and ford bring a formidable presence to our team, whereas wilks can be replaced by a 10day contract. oh the lasting effect of mario elie and his hustling/grit on a rockets fan. and i think it is safe to say that mo taylor hasn't proven as of late that he is an iron man and can last through an entire season, especially playing hurt.

i saw people talking about ford's ability to muscle up, especially against shaq. remember the official shaq stopper, stanley roberts?