1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford back, Braggs waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Nov 23, 2003.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Member

If it was found out at the same time as Mo's indiscretion, it still doesn't explain why he was waived instead of Braggs.

2. Ready2Go

Ready2Go Member

Uhhhhh...... We ARE talking about Braggs.

3. mulletman

mulletman Member

braggs is one of those guys that everyone likes. he hustles, knows his limits. he could have been the chucky brown of this rockets team. i'm sad to see him go:(

4. The Jet

The Jet Member

Ford has always been lazy. He did nothing at UH with all that "potential". I like Braggs, you need a hustle guy who likes to bang inside. THe suns would not let Ford go if he seemed like he was going to be a player.

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Member

What I'm saying is if Braggs got the positive test and, as a result he was waived, why was Ford the one waived when Mo returned? As many posters have asked, why would they have kept Braggs over Ford initially, already knowing that he got a + test.

6. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Maybe JVG needs another BIG GUY playing with Yao and Braggs isn't big enough. When Yao comes out of the game, it's going to be MO TAYLOR and CATO still on the court. Then obviously when Yao gets back after rest, I think JVG wants Yao and Ford on the court to replace Taylor and Cato instead of Yao and Braggs cuz Braggs is a little small to help Yao. JVG is thinking SIZE here and he figures he had enough shooters with Piatkowski coming back.

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm not arguing about Ford being lazy, but the emergence of Amare Stoudamire made Ford VERY expendable.

8. mikedane

mikedane Member

Ford has huge potential and with the best opportunity he has had since high school, he should improve dramaticaly under jeff van gundy and patrick ewing. Just look at how much cato has improved, he used to be a slacker too. I dont expect he will play a whole lot this year but he should be alot better by next year. And should his stock go up I believe he would rather stay in houston, I mean heck he could of went to alot of better basketball programs than UH. His back is against the wall and this may be his last chance at playing in the NBA and if he sticks it out he wont have a choice but to work hard under jeff van gundy.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

This post below suggests a reasonable answer to your question (though not proven to be accurate).

10. danjojo

danjojo Member

yes there is, we're just waiting for tranamerica to tell us what he heard...from across the court...:D

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I liked Braggs toughness, but here is the reasoning for the move via the Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.hts/sports/bk/bkn/2245689

Notice the italicized part? Interesting!

12. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

You have to respect a guy that can make a mistake and remedy it.

13. DearRock

DearRock Member

The PF of the future is BAD! Other than EG, he is the closest thing we have to replacing Cato. There is room on this team for Braggs but not as a full-time PF. Part time yes and part-time at SF, as someone mentioned. I like the fact that he can hit the midrange jumper. Maybe Ben Davis is the key.

14. speedball

speedball Member

eh, this is no big deal. i do this all the time with my fantasy bball teams. you know, drop a guy then say, "ooops, i dropped the wrong guy, i hope no one picked him up"

maybe JVG is a fantasy baller as well. ;) :p

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Member

I am so scared when BBSer here talking about potential again, especially the experience of "potential" king Eddie Griffin hasn't been removed from my memory.

We don't need potential right now, we need somebody who can contribute immediately. We need make the playoff THIS YEAR. So it is little strange to see the people get most playing mins let go first.

Of course I don't see Ford play much, 3 mins against Suns, a big body, that is it. Does he have trouble defending perimeter like Cato? I don't know.

But I trust JVG, I think he might have his reason.

Good luck, Braggs, I wish you can make the NBA (if no Rox) again, you deserve it.

16. leroy

leroy Member

You can't cut someone one the injured list. You can't remove someone from the injured list unless they are truly healthy. My guess is, the second Davis is reasonably healthy, he's gone. They would probably move Meech or Wilks to the injured list for A-Grif.

17. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Braggs was a scrub. Get over it.

I posted this comment before, but any team expecting Braggs to give them meaningful minutes can look forward to a lottery pick and watching the playoffs on television.

18. amare

amare Member

can anybody give a good theory on why alton didn't get enough playing time while he was in phoenix?

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Because other people there deserved it more (examples include Stoudemire and Gugliotta).

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

im pisssed at CD :mad: Y the hell did he waive Braggs he was doin DAMN good and hes just a rookie he coulda got bettter!