1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford back, Braggs waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Nov 23, 2003.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

alas Tank, we hardly knew ya... you will be missed.

2. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

Anymore news regaurding Pike coming back tomorrow night?

3. saleem

saleem Member

Ford was waived after Mo came back from the suspension. He was playing for Orlando in the summer league and Braggs was playing for us. Ford has more potential than Braggs, but I hope he will work as hard as Braggs did.
    Both of them are foul prone and Ford has to overcome the impression that some people have about him not being a hard worker.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate to see Torraye Braggs go. I was really liking him coming off the bench. He was a real bruiser.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this one at all. What I saw of Braggs was pretty good, I thought he was just what the doctor ordered.

Something MUST have happened during the last week or a trade must be in the works (?) - why else would they not have released Braggs immediately instead of Ford when Mo came back?

6. vj23k

vj23k Member

:confused:

Was there something that Braggs was not doing that was expected of him? Is it something that they expect Ford to be able to do? I really liked Braggs...seemed like a nice guy with great size and good effort. From what I saw, he had a nice mid-range jumper(Not at Mo's level, but still much, much better than, say, Griffin), and he was a good rebounder.

Couldn't we have given him a fake foot injury to keep him around for security?

7. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Maybe they found out Braggs can't guard or play defense in the Portland game.

8. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Member

It just doesn't make sense, from what I saw from Braggs, he is a hard worker, good defender(compared to MoT) good rebounder with nice midrange jumper.

The most important important thing, unlike MoT, he doesn't need ball in his hand to make him effective, he get those garbage rebound and point, doing the dirty work pretty good.

When Mo T coming back, the person get released is Ford, so I agree with you guys, there MUST be something happend that changed Rox's mind, or a trade in the work? I hope it is the later, otherwise it is really sad, I really like Braggs' play.

9. xiki

xiki Member

Perhaps Ford was told not to pack his bags and they were showcasing Braggs?

What's the difference, this is a developmental roster slot and Ford's upside is clearly the difference maker.

10. thumbs

thumbs Member

IMO, Braggs will return as soon as the Rockets can waive Ben Davis. Ford is younger, taller, stronger and a better shot than Braggs. The latter has shown more hustle but, then again, we have not seen much of Ford in games thus far. Ford is a Houston native and apparently no longer expects the world to be his oyster just because of his high school and college credentials.

In the long run -- and I know this will be an unpopular opinion -- we need Ford much more than we need Braggs.

11. sowhat

sowhat Member

Yes Braggs is not bad, but have you watched some Ford game? If you watched his game before, you would know that he is better. That's it. I am not saying Braggs is bad, but Ford is just better.

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

what the heck the the rockets did rid of braggs for???

all this guy did was hustle, get rebounds, hit occasional jumpers, make his freethrows, draw fouls when he had the ball.

this guy goes from a member of the rotation to being cut???

I hope Braggs gets another shot from someone because he deserves it.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Welcome Alton! :)

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

You would take him over Mo??????

Come on put down the crack pipe.

15. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Member

I don't like to see Braggs go. He was hard working, a good rebounder and seemed like a nice guy to have around. But even though I haven't seen much of Alton Ford I suspect that he is a better player than Braggs.
    Alton Ford is young and got potential.
    But on the other hand. This is a minor upgrade anyway. He is behind Cato, Mo-T and maybe even Pollard so this won't make a big difference.

16. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Member

17. DavidS

DavidS Member

I hope you are right. Braggs has shown a lot of hustle.

I mean, sure, Braggs wasn't a all-star or anything, but this just seems like a step down.

18. DearRock

DearRock Member

Why are they protecting Ben Davis?

Braggs was limited but maybe so is Alton Ford. Six of one half a dozen of the other. The team should do something more tangible like be more proactive in getting real talent like EG back on the court. Yes I know he was charged but that is sometime away and I find the team is doing as if they do not care one way or another if he comes back. Ford or Braggs make me no difference.

19. tigernet

tigernet Member

Is there any more inside information? Hope this unexpected move makes rockets better.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Alton Ford is 6' 9" and 280 lbs - every day. To quote a cliche, "You can't teach size."

Prototypical JVG-type power forward.

Untapped potential that would have benefited from another year or two in college. If he develops, it will free up more frontline options, while maintaining a bruising presence at the PF spot.

Although I liked Toraye Braggs, I like the move to bring back Ford. A much higher ceiling, and as someone else mentioned, being third string we have time to let him develop.