1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford back, Braggs waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I heard that Rockets re-signed Alton Ford and waived Torraye Braggs today (Sunday 11/23).

2. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

It doesn't make sense. Why didn't they just waive Braggs instead of Ford when MoTay came back?
    I like Tank anyway...nice thuggy body.

3. danjojo

danjojo Member

where did you hear that ?

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's now on Rockets.com

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ultimately, you are keeping one third or fourth string power forward. With Cato and Taylor ahead of him and, depending on the matchup, maybe even Padgett, it really won't matter.

However, if you have your choice between a guy that is really just a bruiser and a player who may have some skill in the low block - especially defensively (see JVG's comments about Ford in the Chron last week). Ford just makes more sense.

6. choujie

choujie Member

I don't understand this. Looks like something unexpected happened.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From Rockets.com...

Rockets Sign Alton Ford, Waive Torraye Braggs

Nov. 23 - The Houston Rockets have signed forward Alton Ford and waived forward Torraye Braggs, general manager Carroll Dawson announced today.

Ford, who played with the Rockets from Nov. 9-19, has averaged 2.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in 67 NBA games with Houston and Phoenix. The 6-9, 280-pound forward averaged 0.7 points with 1.0 rebound in three games with the Rockets earlier this season. Last season, Ford averaged 0.6 points and 0.5 rebounds in 11 games with the Suns. Selected by Phoenix with the 51st overall pick of the 2001 NBA Draft, Ford averaged career highs of 3.1 points and 2.0 rebounds in 53 games during his rookie season. A McDonald's All-American at Houston's Milby High School, Ford received Texas High School Player of the Year honors before gaining Conference USA All-Freshman team honors in his one season at the University of Houston.

Braggs averaged 3.1 points and 3.1 rebounds in 11 games with the Rockets this season. The 6-8, 245-pound rookie played with the Indiana Legends of the American Basketball Association and the Rockford Lightning of the Continental Basketball Association after a college career at Xavier. He also played overseas in Greece, Israel, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Spain.

The Rockets roster now stands at 12 active players.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

naturally, i hate the move because i know nothing of ford. braggs was great.

halfway decent defender
    gets the occasional (sp?) flop call
    hits the occasional ten footer
    just has a nose for the ball when it's loose.

:( oh well. hopefully someone else will pick him up.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This was from the Chronicle when he was released...

"I like him," Van Gundy said. "He had great spirit. He learned quickly. He has a good, strong body. He's got some things we need, but we just can't fit him in right now. It's too bad."

Van Gundy said the Rockets could still use the 6-9, 285-pound Ford's size and strength inside.

"I think he can be a terrific post defender," Van Gundy said. "I think he can draw fouls in the paint. Like the younger players on the team, he fouls too much, needlessly, recklessly. But I think he's got a good future in this league."

Since JVG said Braggs has been prone to mistakes and fouls too much, who do you choose - the guy who has a good future and the ability to be a terrific post defender or the CBA forward with hustle and muscle? I would just guess Ford has more basketball skill overall.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Unless there was some off-court issue w/ Braggs, IMO this move makes no sense at all.

11. danjojo

danjojo Member

This is really really odd...

If they felt Ford had more potential, why did they release Ford instead of Braggs then ? Makes no sense at all...

12. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

The main thing I liked about Braggs is the following: If you watch most people (NBA or not) race for a loose ball in a crowd, they're always pulling their head back to avoid a collision.

Braggs seemed to have absolutely no fear and went into a free-for-all with his eyes wide open. That's why he got the loose balls more often than not as others shyed away from a potential collision. It's a shame to see a hard-nosed, tough guy like that go.

I'm like many others here in thinking that something must have happened off-court to reverse the original decision of choosing Braggs over Ford. However, knowing JVG, he's too professional to show anyone up by telling what happened.

13. hulk

hulk Contributing Member

Something happened last week?

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It might be after the last Game when they realised that Cato plays little to no one on one defence in the Power Forward position.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

It is a bad, bad move.

I like Braggs, he provide great energy on the court, hustle for lose ball and offense rebound, nice midrange jumper. I will even take him above MoT because he is much cheaper and don't need ball in his hand to make him effective. The only thing I dislike is that he is foul prone.

I don't know about Ford, in couple mins play against Suns, he seems foul a lot also.

The move just doesn't make sense to me.
    :eek: :eek:

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Maybe there's a trade in the works.

17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I love the move. Ford has a lot of potential. He's got a great NBA body. I remember when they used to call him baby shaq.

I think a lot of his progress was for not because he went to UH. If he'd gone to Conneticut or another top school, he'd be where Okaford is at.

Alton Ford did not have a chance to get a lot better in Phoenix because he didn't have the personal attention they usually have in college.

But, again, I am extremly happy that Ford got resigned. A fully developed potential of Ford is an ideal running mate to Yao. A guy who can get a rebound, post up, and hold the other teams center. This equates that Yao doesn't have to hold Shaq on defense all the time because Ford can use his muscle to hold his position.

18. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Hhhmmmm, I was thinking about a Shaq defender myself.. :confused:

19. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

My question exactly. If JVG and CD knew this all along, why didn't they make this move in the first place?

20. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Where is Braggs from anyway? Maybe he was required elsewhere? :confused: