1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Forbes]The Texans are the fourth most valuable NFL Franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is an eye-popper. The Texans are worth 1.043 BILLION dollars, fourth behind the redskins, patriots, and cowboys, respectively.

Espn.com's link to Forbes' findings

Forbes: Five NFL franchises worth over $1 billion eachAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Five teams, led by the Washington Redskins, have franchise values above $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine's annual survey.

The Redskins have led the list for seven straight years and are worth $1.423 billion, an increase of 13 percent over last year. They have an operating income of $108.4 million, more than double every other NFL team except Houston and Tampa Bay.

The New England Patriots rank second in Forbes' calculations at $1.176 billion. They are followed by the Dallas Cowboys at $1.173 billion, the Texans at $1.043 billion, and the Philadelphia Eagles at $1.024 billion.

That means three of the five most valuable teams are in the NFC East. The other division member, the New York Giants, are 15th at $890 million.

The Texans stand second in operating income with $57.6 million, followed by the Bucs at $56.9 million.

On the other end of the chart is the Minnesota Vikings, who were purchased last year by Zygi Wilf. They are worth only $720 million -- although that would rank second in major league baseball behind only the Yankees.

And the Yankees, valued at $1.026 billion, would be fifth among NFL franchises.

Minnesota plays in one of the league's oldest stadiums, which pushes down its value. Wilf is busily negotiating for a new ballpark.

But don't fret for Wilf, who purchased the team for $600 million a year ago. He's already made a profit.

Only one team, the New Orleans Saints (27th at $738 million), has a negative operating income, $4.1 million. The Saints, of course, were displaced by Hurricane Katrina last season, playing home games in San Antonio and Baton Rouge.

Yet the Vikings and four others -- Oakland ($736 million), San Francisco ($734 million), San Diego ($731 million) and Atlanta ($730 million) -- are valued below the Saints.

The Raiders, 49ers, Chargers and Falcons all are planning or seeking upgrades in their stadiums, too.

Rounding out the top 10 are the Denver Broncos ($975 million), Cleveland Browns ($970 million), Bucs ($955 million), Baltimore Ravens ($946 million) and Chicago Bears ($945 million).

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why is that so suprising? The teams on that list that are at the top either are supremely successful historical franchises, have new stadiums, or both.

The Texans have a top 3 NFL stadium, have amazing marketing sales, and play in a region that is crazy about NFL football. They're as much of a "for-sure" commodity as there is in sports... thus = value.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

But, but... I thought we were worthless as a franchise without Reggie Bush? I thought we had to have him for marketing and to sell seats? Do you guys mean to tell me that we might sell out games without him, as well as make a lot of money without him?

Surely that can't be possible... that's not what Bill Simmons told me. And he's never wrong, right?

:)

4. Fatty FatBastard

Well, this has already been an earlier thread.

Not bad for McNair, though. A 50% ROI in 5 years, or 10% a year?

Just about anyone would be happy with that type of return.

5. Two Sandwiches

I guess it wasn't so much an eye popper that we were fifth, but it was more of an eye-popper that we were worth over a billion dollars. We're actually worth more than the Yankees, for crying out loud!

I guess that kind of goes to show that football has taken over as America's favorite sport.

Anyways, if this team consistently starts winning, we could potentially edge the Redskins as number one.

6. Two Sandwiches

My bad. I looked, but saw nothing.

Shut 'er down if need be.

7. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I can't believe the Texans are worth more than the Yankees. :eek:
    I guess the NFL really does rule the roost in America.

8. Ryan Bowen MVP

and to make things more confusing... they only play once a week! whereas MLB teams are playing almost everyday during their season. At least we can be happy that we have an organization that wants to win instead of them sitting on a ****ty team year after year and making no effort to get better.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's gone even beyond that, frankly.

the NFL last season was on ESPN, CBS, ABC and FOX. on every one of those networks, their most watched program of the year was an NFL football game. for all of the networks except ABC, NFL football occupied the top 3 most watched programs of the year.

the NFL is ridiculous. it is not comparable to MLB or NBA anymore. not even the same league. it's on its own level, now. it is arguably the most popular entertainment in America.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This IS an eye-popper, mainly because DaDakota basically predicted that all the fans would turn their backs on the franchise and it would fold if they didn't pick Vince Young.

I, for one, am SHOCKED that it hasn't happened. :p

11. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

I for one am shocked... with our horrible record and everything else that we're #4 out of 30 something teams in the league

12. MykTek

MykTek Member

just proves that the texans have loyal fans, even during it's darkest hour...

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

If we had a penny for every time a DaDa prediction came true, we'd be pennyless.

:)

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I thought Nascar had the largest audience. :confused:

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

TOYOTA

NASCAR

yeah baby!