1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For years, folks wanted to trade Harden for picks and young players.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Jan 10, 2023.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Now they are unhappy with young players and want to trade them for vets. Oh, well.

dawesome, jim1961, Corrosion and 10 others like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've needed to rebuild for decades...impatient whiners can't handle it.

the shark, dawesome, jim1961 and 8 others like this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

40 or so more games. Hang in there, gang. Try to get some joy out of watching the young guys improve --even if they lose more than old vets would

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think that’s precisely the problem. I’m supportive of the tank strategy but not supportive of watching the aimless, selfish basketball I see and the lack of player growth. I don’t see structure or accountability, and the development pathway for a #2 pick like Jalen just needs to be better. I don’t see this org developing our players well and I’m not prepared to both lose and underachieve on player development.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Not that cut and dry. Even in losing seasons you must develop winning habits, attention to detail, and a team mentality.

Many soured on the Harden era for the high level of iso ball and lack of flow.

Many got excited last year when we added a two guard in Green that didn’t need to be ball dominant and was scoring off fewer touches.

Fast forward a year and now ever player runs iso for themselves and if it’s not there passes down the line for the next iso attempt. Green has gone from being able to score off the ball to not being able to score.

Simply put - we have taken a step back in regards to team play. This is highly concerning and fans are upset understandably. If this team were playing right - we’d still suck, but we’d win a few more games and wouldn’t be leaning into bad habits.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

7. dmoneybangbang

And we made the right call. We just have a lot of fair weather fans…..

It’s only been two seasons of tanking so far…. After how many winning seasons and playoffs?

Some of GARM needs a new hobby….

8. Good Times

Good Times Member

I’m ok with it, these are extremely young players and they need to get it out of their system that they can’t win games on talent alone and need each other to win. It’s like any job, some hotshot kid will come in trying to prove they can do it all then eventually learn to work together.

It would be much worst if they played well together but couldn’t win games due to talent. I want to see them individually struggle while they are young enough to learn from it then accept to play within the team as they grow. If they can’t then we’ll find new players to replace them. We all know this isn’t the team that will stay together for the next 5-7 years, likely 3-4 players will still be here and the rest will have moved on. We need to find who is the right players to keep based on talent and effort then mold them after a couple of years in the NBA. We are really looking at a development team, not a team that has its core ready to build a culture with.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden got little to do that the rebuild seems to be shaky or that Stone is not following up or that Silas and Gordon are still here.

10. dmoneybangbang

Hard to both tank hard for the much vaunted 2023 draft class while getting player development. We added another 3 rookies on top of 4 rookies, along with a bunch of barely NBA rotation players.

While I’m slightly disappointed Green doesn’t look improved, it really doesn’t matter all that much considering where we are at.

Lots of folks want their cake and eat it to.

Corrosion and topfive like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

fair point. I certainly hope we avoid a big reset 3 or 4 yrs into the rebuild though. Bad teams tend to do that and they end up permanently in a rebuild.

I do think learning good habits is an important part of development. I believe too much hands off and not enough structure doesn’t do young developing players many favors. There’s got to be a balance and right now it feels like we are way off. Sure some of these guys may eventually learn how to play the right way through failure, but others will just end up reinforcing bad habits. I don’t understand making a top lotto pick investment in a young player and not providing the structure and coaching to maximize that potential. And not all players are built the same. Some can handle total freedom and others need structure. Also how players play affects the development of their teammates, especially ball dominant guards. I don’t think it’s a one size fits all approach. Part of being a good coach is identifying what players need to be successful; it’s not the same for every player.

clos4life likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Decades?

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les wouldn't let us do it.

tycoonchip likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually its for the folks that didn't appreciate the 65 win contender Tilman inherited and didn't do a damn thing to build on it after that 1st season. Everyone on board with his dumb decisions in that span of 2 years that made them worse and worse, deserves what the rockets state is in now and how it's going to be like this for a long time

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine that, people soured on winning. I love winning, bring me back to this times.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I loved trying to figure out which playoff games to go to. These days going to a game isn't even a thought.

I loved discussing what the rockets needed to continue to improve the roster to reach the end. These days its about how the rockets can even reach 20 wins in a season

the rockets were continuously televised on national tv games. these days it isn't even a thought and nobody wants to watch this nonsense

"the rockets are never going to be the knicks" welcome to the Houston Knicks

ElPigto, clos4life and kubli9 like this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting, I wasn't aware that all players just fall into two categories neatly, or that if we traded Harden in 2019 we wouldve gotten Kevin Porter Jr and Jabari Smith. Could it be that people want to construct a competitive team and youre oversimplifying it? Great thread, will continue to ponder.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thank you for this thread @glynch . People really need to chill the F out. These are KIDS. Like any of your kids or your nieces or nephews or brothers or sisters, they're going to f*ck up sometimes. You're going to feel like it's the end of the world and nothing can now stop them developing bad habits and ruining their entire future and ending up bums unless you make a grand dramatic gesture to reflect the importance of the error. You're not that important. People can self correct. 21 year olds change their entire character sometimes (for better or worse), we're not talking about 28 year olds. No one has ever gone this heavily into populating a rotation with the youngest players in the NBA. Surely you expected that some patch of our rebuild would be really ugly temporarily and there would be some dumb mistakes from the players?

42 games then you don't have to do any hypotheticals. You can actually know what these guys look like when they're actually designed and supported to win with some well placed motivated vets around them. It's going to make a universe of difference.

Just practice a little bit of acceptance and understand that most great players carve out their own destiny regardless of the circumstances. It's part of being a great player: not making many excuses.

gotsis and Plowman like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol the real problem on this team is vets are playing too much and aint any good.. wed be better of if young people get the keys here...ego played more this season than sengun, tari, bari, garuba, cristopher and this is the real tragedy...

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean he actually cared enough to provide a good product for his paying customers? Imagine that.

RocketsDraftTV and txtodd like this.