1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those who wear suits every day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by redefined, Jun 13, 2008.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

How soon before you repeat the same one? I know by the end of the year my entire wardrobe will consist entirely of suits, but I just don't know how many I need to start off with. Hopefully I won't have to blow my entire signing bonus on shopping for clothes. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciative.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Navy suit, black suit, and a grey suit.

That's all you need to start with. Shirt and tie combos keep the looks fresh from day to day.

Stick with traditional styles, 2 or 3 button.

You can then start adding pieces here and there as you work that will build your suit collection.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

hooray!
    monkees!

4. tulexan

tulexan Member

People pay more attention to the ties and shirts, so that's what you should stock up on. Almost everyone who has to wear a suit to work takes the jacket off once they get to work.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Man how do you wear a suit in a 100 degree weather?

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I bought two suits for graduation last year and the pants are effing tight at the waist. I know I didn't gain weight...I think it was poor measuring. Anyone know where I can take the pants for alterations? The jackets are fine.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It really depends...do you have to wear a jacket everyday? Or just a tie and slacks...

If you have to wear the full suit everyday, I suggest 3 or 4 suits to start off with. Jos A Bank has 50% off sales about two or three times a month, and you can get either nice $900 suits for $450 each or a decent $500 suit for $250. I would go with the higher priced one if you can afford it due to cheaper suits wearing out faster if you have to wear them a lot.

As far as ties go, go to Marshall's or Ross and buy them there. There are usually 2-5 good looking ties there amongst all the crappy ones. Much cheaper and still nice looking.

If you don't have to wear a coat, I would just buy slacks (4 pair) and ties

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This happens to me ALL the time. And I KNOW it's not because I'm gaining weight.........

To the OP (what does OP stand for anyway?), Jos A Bank is having a Father's Day sale all week until Sunday. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow.

9. droxford

droxford Member

with style

10. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Rule that my dad taught me when I bought my first suit: Always get an extra pair of slacks with the suit because you usually take the jacket off and (unless you work at Kramerica) leave the pants on so the pants get WAY more wear than the jacket. Rotate the pants out and the entire suit will last a lot longer and the pants will not get worn or faded faster than the jacket.

Oh and if you live on the North Side, stay away from Prestige Tailors "by Mario" on 1960. He may be a good tailor but his staff sucks. I have several pants from Joseph A. Bank that have fallen apart at the seams where they altered them.

EDIT: I concur with the Jos. A. Bank recommendation. I wear the traveller's suits and they look nice and can wick away water and even mud like they are coated with RainEx. The traveller's dress shirts are the same and are a great investment. I say investment because they are pricey. That being said, absolutely follow the directions for care on their clothing. I have some traveller's short sleeve polos that got torn up in the dryer... :(

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

Go to Sym's for suits. They have a good selection and are very affordable.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Original Poster

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Thanks. I already have 3 and I'm heading over to JoS A Bank right now to pick up 3 more. I was just worried you guys would say I'd need at least 10 suits to start off with :eek:

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Mix in some solid, neutral colored slacks to go with the suit jackets and you have a slightly more casual sport-jacket look that expands the wardrobe a lot.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Every time there's a thread like this, it makes realize how much I like my job.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You should. You're good at it.

[​IMG]

17. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

While Jos A Bank is definitely a good value, if you have room in your budget buy one "nicer" suit. I think Nordstrom's semi annual sale starts today. I am going to check out the HickeyFreeman's. :cool:

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ya but they also have a jackass staff.

20. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

this suit is black

(pause)

NOT!