1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those who want JVG back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Do you remember?

1. yes, give Rick - One More Night

45 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. yes, we need a new coach - No Jacket required

47 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. no, but we need the Rox and coach to be living - seperate lives

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. no, I don't care any more

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. redao

redao Member

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

In the it's all meaningless unless you hold up that trophy.

I don't understand why people refuse to acknowledge that both coaches are good at what they do even with their faults.

People on here love to pointlessly argue in circles about hypothetical situations.

3. Moleb

Moleb Member

Rick is a somewhat decent defensive coach. But in all honesty defense has been the primary reason to us losing games.

I don't think its Ricks fault, you can only go so far with a sub-par defensive back court of Martin & Brooks. Let alone they are beat on defense many times by players attacking the basket. We also have no shot blocking presence at all, besides Yao Ming of course. But its obvious when Yao is in the officials will most likely call a foul on him for attempting to contested shots. Thus resulting in free throws and being in the penalty faster, which triggers more defensive lapse variables.

On a side note, JVG has always praised the Rockets on national T.V. He likes them a lot, but for some reason I feel he is holding out on coaching for the time being until the right fit for him comes up. Hey maybe he is eyeing the Lakers when Jackson retires? Beats me, but rick is doing a good job. Our team is just no athletic enough. Which is why the Wizards destroyed us.

4. mFt82

mFt82 Member

I agree that both Rick Adelmann and Jeff Van Gundy are very good coaches. And I have to say that watching the Rockets' games under the Adelmann regime is A HELL OF A LOT MORE FUN than watching them under JVG. Oftentimes I grimaced in front of the TV more than T-Mac was. That was hard.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Right, so the other side of the story is... JVG's 4th option at one point was Luther Head in the playoffs. We started Clarence Weatherspoon vs the Mavs, buried them early, only to have the league come down on Yao. JVG gave the team an identity. Morey wanted to keep JVG badly. Yada, yada, yada JVG's contract isn't renewed and we wind up bringing in a crap load of talent. Just saying... he never had a fair shot. Even with the injuries Rick has had it a little easier IMO.

2 people like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

2 soft superstars with the softest role players(battier,howard,rafer) = fail

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Anyone mentioning JVG I can't even take seriously. The definition of knee-jerk, not to mention totally unrealistic.

I do agree that some of those old lineups were not easy to work with. We were basically playing 3 on 5 on offense with some of them.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol gotta love tinman threads. they never really have its own substance. its either pics, links or articles and maybe a couple sentences. but somehow, its gets over. :grin:

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling new clutchfans don't know who that is.
    maybe you are trying to say that the Rockets need a sledgehammer on defense.

10. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hey Tinman! What is the over/under on when DaDakota will officially launch his Holy Crusade to get Adelman fired?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I can't predict that guy with the Rocket's current state, it's the land of confusion.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

JVG is not walking through that door.

Our owner wanted a up tempo, Suns like team. Cause they win so many championships.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

This was the apex of the JVG regime.

Yao healthy? CHECK
    Tmac healthy? CHECK
    Bench healthy? CHECK
    Home court advantage in the playoffs? CHECK

Well, I was there and I saw what you did
    I saw it with my own two eyes
    So you can wipe off the grin, I know where you've been
    It's all been a pack of lies

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

name 3?

I can't think of any; the suns suck.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I remember those threads, and I was always against them. I was definitely in the minority then, but I always wanted JVG to stick around and was disappointed when he was fired.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You might want to check yours.....

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When was this? When we started Clarence Weatherspoon right? When we had Ryan Bowen playing 25mpg? Or the time Luther Head was our 4th leading scorer and disappeared in the playoffs? C'monnnnnn, c'mon!

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

what offense?

1 person likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2007.html

Playoffs:
    Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (4-3) versus Utah Jazz

Ryan Bowen? Weatherspoon? those were JVG's dudes, a bunch of Sussudios.