1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those who love arrested development

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Glish21, Apr 9, 2005.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

Many of the jokes on the show require repeated viewings for maximum appreciation. That’s why I think many people don’t get the show the first time around. You kind of have to change your thought process, since the show doesn’t hold your hand for every joke like most other sitcoms. Like earlier this season, they had Henry Winkler jump over a shark in an episode, but it was done so quickly and nonchalantly that many people probably wouldn’t have even have noticed it, let alone understood why it’s funny.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah, if you didn't get in on AD from the beginning, it does take quite a bit to catch up because you have to be familiar with the characters personalities, history, and sometimes catchphrases (I've made huge mistake) to get all the jokes. Also, there are so many small jokes that you have to watch the episodes multiple times to find them all.

A good example of one is that in the episode from last weekend, where George kidnaps Lucielle to renew their vows, there's a scene with Maeby reading a movie script in her office that's titled "Operation: Hot Mother Inspired by a true story" and it's written by a mother and son. Operation Hot Mother was the plan Michael and Buster came up with to try and save George Michael from Lucille and Motherboy XXX, the 30th annual convention/dance thing for mom's and their momma's boys.

BTW, what did you guys think of Franklin the puppet? I had to download that episode to keep watching his brief scenes.

[​IMG]
    G.O.B.: (As Franklin.) Can I tell you something, my man? (As himself.) Sure, Franklin. (As Franklin.) You are one cool bleeeeeeep.

[​IMG]
    G.O.B.: (As Franklin.): Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

[​IMG]
    George, Sr.: Get off my wife, you b*stard!

G.O.B.: (As Franklin.) What’s the matter with you?!

[​IMG]
    G.O.B.: Franklin said some things Whitey just wasn’t ready to hear.

Michael: G.O.B., weren’t you also mercilessly beaten outside of a club in Torrance for that act?

G.O.B.: He also said some things that African-American-y wasn’t ready to hear either.

#22 Oski2005, Apr 11, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. drapg

drapg Member

The best joke was last week... when Michael was told that their order was getting cut from 22 to 18 houses. He said "but we already have the designs set for all 22 houses."

Ron Howard came on (as the narrator) and said... "No, they didn't."

It was a slight underhand towards FOX, who cut back Season 2 from 22 episodes to 18 episodes.

It is these little inside jokes that the casual viewer cannot comprehend that makes this show freakin' bad ass.

4. Oski2005

Oh, that's a perfect example. I had forgotten about that one.

5. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

"Oh, you're just jealous because you're a surfboard."

6. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Its funny but its no Denny Crane.

7. Fatty FatBastard

Preach on, Brotha. Get a Life had the exact same problems AD does.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I just started watching it about 3 weeks ago and I like it alot. Hopefully it won't get cancelled cause I laugh my ass off watching it. I hear scrubs is also in danger of being pulled, man i hope not cause that's my favorite sitcom. I also watched "The Office" for the first time last week and found it pretty funny. Peace.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

LOL!! I can't stop playing this one.....

Lindsey: "Beads"
    GOB: "Bees!"
    Lindsey: "Beads!!"
    GOB: "Beads?!"
    Michael: "Gob's not on board."

10. Oski2005

This one cracks me up, where Lucille 2 has GOB read the menu to her like the movie trailers guy doing a "sexy" voice. You really have to listen to this one, the words on paper don't do it justice at all.

http://the-op.com/media/sound.php?aid=133&fmt=mp3

Lucille 2: Read me the appetizers again.
    G.O.B.: “Fried cheese... with club sauce.”
    Lucille 2: Oh...
    G.O.B.: “Popcorn shrimp... with club sauce.”
    Lucille 2: (Moans.)
    G.O.B.: “Chicken fingers...”
    Lucille 2: Oh, stop it, you’re making me dizzy.
    G.O.B.: “...with spicy club sauce.”
    Lucille 2: No, I mean stop it!

11. Oski2005

LMFAO

If you go back here; http://www.getarrested.com/ there's a new video with GOB doing an Ebony and Ivory type duet with Franklin. I don't know if it's a deleted scene or a preview from the next episode, but it's hilarious.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I still think the episode with the one-armed man who teaches lessons is the best.

George Sr.: We're out of milk. I could have got it earlier if someone would have left a note.
    [suddenly he runs down J. Walter Weatherman and his fake arm comes off]
    George Sr.: [poorly acting] Why? If someone had left a note, this innocent man would still have his arm! Why?
    [the kids scream as Weatherman comes up to them]
    J. Walter Weatherman: And that's why you always leave a note.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Knowing that show, it might be a scene that'll never exist.

14. Oski2005

Do you mean "footage not found"?

BTW, It seems sometimes, when you click the link it has the other video up, so refresh to see GOB's song.