1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those that want Stevie gone ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnutts, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

Is there anything the man can do in the postseason that would change your opinion of his game? What if he helps carry the team into the second round and beyond? Would that grant him a reprieve?

Or are you so convinced that a Stevie-led team is fundamentally flawed that regardless of the outcome in the playoffs, you'd want to ship him off to the first taker.

Side note:
    Imagine being under a rock for the whole year and coming on to the BBS to catch up on the Rockets. You'd think we'd be headed for another lottery pick after a dismal season. The posts about breaking up the team far outnumber the playoff posts. It's like we're eulogizing the season before the playoffs even begin. I have to think that some people are secretly (or not so secretly) hoping that the Rockets flame out in four so that their trade demands are more warranted. I'm with JVG in the sense that making the postseason in the NBA is no great achievement. But still, you'd think potential opponents and playoff match-ups would merit more discussion than the same, tired trade threads that have cluttered the board all year.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't think anything Steve can do in the postseason, short of doing a Micheal Jordan impersonation, can change my mind. However, there are things Steve can do in the offseason which can make me want to keep him.

The guy needs to work on his shooting, period. He's got to be able to shoot that set 3-pt shot when the ball's coming out from Yao. He needs to work on his mid-range jumper on pick&rolls where the defender backs off. He needs to develop a runner in the lane so he doesn't need to run into 3 defenders when he's driving.

I think the above is possible. Francis will never, IMO, develop the ideal court vision you want from a PG. But if the guy can score efficiently, and he has the athleticism to do it, that might be enough.

3. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

He definitely does not need to practice his dribbling in the summer ...

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually it is no secret at all
    Clutch himself is worried that a series victory would
    actually make rockets management THINK of bringing steve back

I think anything short of a NBA championship
    and to be honest
    even that I don't think would do it.

Folx here just have a DEEP SEEDED HATRED OF STEVE FRANCIS
    YAO IS NOW attitude . . . .

Strange thing is . .they even want to run the same offense
    that we ran for hakeem . . . unfortunately YAO IS NO HAKEEM

Rocket River

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

For me, this season was basically Steve's chance to show that he could take his game to a different level. He failed. He showed flashes of brilliance, but in the end he is still hurting the team too much with his flaws. JVG said some players aren't "getting it" and I agree.

Yes, Steve can show me something in the playoffs to change my mind. But what makes you think anything will change if nothing has changed the whole season?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Hey Don or any other Francis only Fan, what do you think Steve does really well? And why do you think so highly of a player that has not improved any aspect of his game significantly?

I was very loyal to SF when he just started out with the Rockets(hell, just look at my old posts), but his game has not improved an iota, I interpret that as he doesn't give a damn about winning. Every great player comes back the next year with something new added to his game...except Steve, and not once has he come back with something learned. He's shown us that year after frustrating year and I'm done giving him chances. This year, even with less scoring responsiblities he still can't concentrate on other aspects of his game that NEED help. Its sickening to watch this guy play worse than he did 3 years ago, but the zone has killed his game and he can't adapt.

Strange, I don't see any other players suffering as much with the new rules, I guess Steve is just 'special'.

Added: So basically my answer is No. There is nothing Steve can do that would 'redeem' himself in my eyes. After his 5th year as a Rocket all he's shown me is that he didn't deserve a Max contract and now that big contract is killing our chance at getting another quality player. How long would you Steve-only-fans wait until you think he should be traded? Guys like Rocket River and others would probably let him stay on this team until the end of time regardless of his play...I don't think that way. Steve's horrible habits seem to be ingrained into his style and he has to go.

#6 Severe Rockets Fan, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  7. DonKnutts

If I'm not mistaken, this relates to the "cognitive dissonance" theory, which refers to people whose belief system is so ingrained that it prevents them from comprehending anything which might refute it. Some people are so utterly convinced that a Steve-Yao combo will go nowhere that even (relative) playoff success would do nothing to change their mind.

8. DonKnutts

For the record, please do not call me a "Francis only fan." I am a fan of the Rockets. And as far as I know, Steve is still a member of the team.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Really? When was the last time you said anything good about another player other than Steve?

10. Severe Rockets Fan

If you put a Pro-Francis spin on that, it could fit you and other Steve keeper fans(is that better?) perfectly.

11. amed

amed Contributing Member

Steve has already done enough to stay here. He won the biggest game of the season by dropping 33pts and 11 dimez on the Denver Boys, while the 7'6'' fool that everyone wants to stay did nothing and almost casued the Rockets the game by giving miller the ball and the not running back on D to contest that 3pt shot that would have tied the game. Steve if always be a Rocket and will have that #3 jersey hanging in the Toyota Center along side the Championship banner that he will earn for this city.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

See I still don't understand this. I love the Rox and will always love the Rox. Would I trade SF3? If the right deal came along to help the team ... definitely. Should they shop him around in the offseason to see what they can get? Definitely.

For the most part, minus a few mistakes(see SuperBowl), Steve has poured his heart and soul into trying to make this team a winner. Maybe he doesnt fit in the system, and maybe we would be better off without him(and he would probably be better off without us). But I don't understand the hatred for him that many people on this BBS have.

He is a member of this team, and as long he is, I am still going to like him and hope that he does well. I honestly think there are plenty of people on this board that are hoping and rooting against Steve, and that is just sad because you are rooting against the Rockets. What is the point of being a fan?

13. stra

stra Member

WOW it has finally come to this......:( :mad:

When you support a player who is ON the team then you are a Steve keeper fan!!! and not a Rockets Fan???

WELL THAT IS F****D UP!!!

No he is not a Steve Only Fan he is a Rocket FAN.. He shouldn't have to defend that he wants to keep a player who has basically been the franchise the last 5 seasons. I am not saying that you are not a Rockets fan if you wants Steve traded but if "Severe Rockets Fans":rolleyes: use of logic is common sense to the prototype poster in here then well then.... Ahhh forget it..

Don Knutts SUPPORT the team. The team consists of Rockets players therefore he supports the players. Keep up the good posting Don Knutts you are a light in the dark to some of us.. ( okay that may be overdoing it):) and "severe Rockets fan" Get a grip please...

Well actually I think that the posting lately even though a bit dark has also brought forward a lot of posters like Don Knutts who try to be supportive and at least have a little faith in the GM, coach and the players. It is nice to see that there is still posters fighting for the right to support THIS Rockets team and not doing it with a hidden agenda.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

One good game doesn't make a player... Jamal Crawford just scored 50 points last night, maybe we should sign him to the Max too. :rolleyes:

15. amed

amed Contributing Member

Well seems the Rockets think so, do you recall Brent Price, Kelvin Cato and after 2 or good games Yao has had he is still here.

16. stra

stra Member

Steve has had more than one good game and everyone should know that...please:rolleyes:

17. Severe Rockets Fan

Oh so all the sudden I'm not a good fan because I think Steve is making this team worse with his play and I want him gone because of it? Whatever guys... :rolleyes:

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Riiiiight. Yao has 17/9 on 52% shooting and he's only had 2 good games all year. Try watching a few games, it would help your judgement a little more.

19. Severe Rockets Fan

I agree, but using 1 game as valid excuse to forget about a season full of crappy play doesn't make sense and you know it.

20. stra

stra Member

Actually severe rockets fan my exact word were: I am NOT saying that you are not Rockets fan if you want Steve traded, but with you it is hard to tell what your goal is. To bash or support... Try to keep just a little balance between the two. That is the least I think that even you should be able to do even if it is not in your nature.