1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those of you who wants Swift bad, pray with me!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

• Very well put. A full MLE 5/29mil is a great deal for a 25 year old PF who can give you at a minimum 10-6 (and close to 2 blocks). If Swift was a 16 & 10 guy with major upside he would be getting near max offers.

I also agree this is the summer for a PF. There are lots of reasonable candidates for around the MLE and most of the major FA players have spent big money on guards. Next year's FA crop is dreadful.

• I pretty much agree with part 2, if I am Memphis I'd pretty much tell Swift I'll help him do a S&T anywhere except Texas.

I am not that worried about NY though. They drafted a 5/4 and a 4, and have lots of vet 4s too. I don't see Swift as a significant upgrade for them. I more likely see them target Kwame (more upside), Curry (more upside), Radmonovich (more upside and more offense), Walker (more offense, more different than their other bigs), SAR (more offensive punch than their bigs), or even James (a true C). They would love to go after Chandler and Dalembert they would have no chance I would think. Swift could be a bad move for him and the Knicks relative to these players.

Personally, I am most worried about NO or Atl (I assume Milw and the Cavs are out of space) or say the Nets with their TE if they can't get SAR. But other teams out of nowhere could get involved too (Heat, Wizards). It is dicey until he signs, and we will ge lucky if our MLE gets him.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Posted by dc rock in another thread.

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Oh my! I believe that with his visit to the Nets, its all over guys..he's not coming :confused:

4. gucci888

Are you being serious? There is no reason for players/agents to committ so quickly. It's in their best interest to find the best deal and even if they like some team a lot, they should still go look around, but that doesn't mean they still won't stick my their choice.

The Nets are kind in the same position we are, they know SAR likes them and SAR knows the Nets want him, but they know what they can offer and what they can't. If all they have to do is visit another team to get a better deal from another team or from their first choice, then why not?

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Yah I know. I'm just trying not to hope too much so that it would not be a disappointment if he doesn't choose us..

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm not too worried about NJ. The Nets' trade exception would allow MEM to make a series of simultaneous trades and take back $5m more than they sent out. Hardly desireable for a team near the LTax and wanting to trim payroll.

Of course, the Grizz could trim payroll with an SnT for Swift and simultaneously trimming payroll by sending 1 of Cardinal, Battier or Tsakalides...but IMO that doesn't make sense for either team. Sending Swift and Jake leaves only Lo Wright at C, NJ doesn't have much use for Cardinal and Battier + Swift for picks and a TE seems pretty lopsided.

IMHO, going to see the Nets is a Dog and Pony show Swift and his agent must perform. The real competiton is ATL and NO.

7. gucci888

Agreed. SAR going to see the Kings and Swift meeting w/ the Nets is just a show. Like I said, if just visiting 1 or 2 teams is all it takes to get teams to give a little more, than it would be wise for them to do it.

Also, Deuce posted how the first PF (Swift, SAR, Walker, Marshall) to sign will basically tell the market value of PFs. I don't think you'd want to be the guy to sign for the MLE while other PFs are getting double or close to.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I guess I am the only one who feels like "this thread title makes me cringe"... :)

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ATL and NO. While ATL has the cash, it's hard to see Swift in ATL. With Williams and Harrington at the 4 spots and Josh Smith at the 3. I suppose Swift can play the 5 there full time with some backup 4 duty but I always got the impression Swift really would rather play the 4 full time with a TRUE C like we have here in Houston. I know ATL wants to play more uptempo and perhaps that would work with Swift at the 5 but I get the impression ATL is more looking at TRUE Cs like Curry, Z and Dalembert. Supposedly Z was the first guy they were targetting which is strange to me. But I am sure they will offer Curry and Dalembert some big dollars.

To me NO is the team to watch here. They do have a stingy owner so it is difficult to gauge how much they are willing to spend. But they have a TRUE C in Maglore. They have an aging PF in PJ Brown. So upgrading at PF is something they might want to do and Swift makes sense there. Especially since he is from the area. But from everything I have read, the Hornets are really trying to solidify their SF position first. But to me NO is the one team that has the money AND has a good "fit" in terms of Swift's position on the team.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

atlanta is not in competition for swift... they have no interest in another power forward (they just drafted one) - plus all their money is going to be tied up making offers for restricted free agents (Chandler and Johnson)

as for NO, I am still waiting for them to make an offer - they have only come up becasue they have cap money and he is from there, but I have not seen anything out there that says they are interested in him. They still have PJ Brown and David West along with a re-signed Chris Anderson. Not sure why they would throw any extra money at Stro, when they need help at the SF/SG area

if you guys are going to worry... worry about teams that actaully need a player like Swift (New Jersey, Phily, Heat, New York) not just teams that have cap space. Cap Space without desire is no threat

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree. this is the only other team i am worried about. the knicks allways go after the top FA's every summer and the FA's allways say how much they love it there and would like to play there. the knicks offer a huge contract but no team ever wants to take back anything from NY.

swift will have to make a choice:

money: NO
    championship: HOU

it all comes down to how much they offer. if they offer anything under $8M and year then the income tax evens things out.

12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Maybe, but NO made a verbal $$$ commitment to re-sign both of their FA Chris Anderson and Boki, so I just can't imagine Magloire, PJB, Anderson, and Swift all in the same front court... Unless they deal Magloire or something...

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think there is a chance that Magloire and/or PJ Brown get delt somewhere. Anderson is really a 3rd string backup PF and they also have David West although he is only 6'8". Boki at the 3 has no barring on Swift at the 4. They also have Lampe and Vroman though which are 4/5's on that team.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Stop eavesdropping on my prayers. :D

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Possibly right, but I'll say it again, SAR to the Bucks in a sign a trade for D Mason would of got this PF ball rolling, but SAR balked at $9M per outright!!! But, then would Swift end up a Net because of the $5M trade exception to Memphis?!? Memphis and Portland are in the same boat IMO... So, then what... ATL, NY, finally Houston?!?

Here's how I see it in order of who might go where:

NJ: SAR, SS
    Houston: SS, AW, SAR, DM
    Sac: SAR, AW, SS
    NY: SS, DM
    Mil: SAR, DM

#75 forchette49, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think NJ very well could be a problem. If I were them I would be going for Swift 1st (they need the shot blocking more than the scoring punch) than SAR. While it is clear SAR is there 1st choice, if they get problems (unrealistic demands) from SAR/agent Swift is a nice 2nd choice. Memphis or Portland would be silly not to take the TE and a very modest draft pick (a 2nd or two or top 20 protected 1st) with the added bonus of getting those players in the Eastern conference and at least delaying the completion of the foundations of another WC powerhouse (us).

With NO you think they would be happy with the much cheaper CA, West and Bass to go along with their vets bigs (Brown, Magloire), but if they saw too good a bargain to sign their homeboy Swift at say 5 years 35 mil or moved one fo their vet bigs they could be trouble.

Atl I do think has higher, closer to max type, targets (Johnson, Curry, Dalembert, maybe Kwame), but they too could see a bargain to happen for Swift as well.

I think with Mil laying out that contract with Simmons then a full MLE level contract with Gadzuric they probably are not a player for Swift or another starting caliber PF, even by trade. I just don't see them spending more dough on a 4/5 or weaking their depth elsewhere (trading Mason).

I for one just don't NY going for a Swift or DM--they have enough adequate vet 4s or undersized Cs plus some recent draft picks (Frye, Lee, Sweetney). If they add a big, a far more potent offensive player or one with major risk/reward (upside) makes a much better target (SAR, Walker, Kwame).

#76 Desert Scar, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  17. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Now people, WHAT SAY YOU????? A little prayer wouldn't hurt, right? A little faith can't kill, right? How many of you prayed? How many of you sincerely did? OK, no matter if you did or not, give thanks to HIM!!!

18. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

ICE BURN