1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those of you who wants Swift bad, pray with me!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know Yao and TMac make it impressive but how does Swift? This guy has been one of the bigger disappointments in draft history. Call me crazy but Swift seems like a smaller version of Cato. Further he has only averaged 68 games a season the past 4 seasons. Can someone help me here? :confused:

2. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

You don't need to pray for it. Swift already has a pretty good mid-range jumper. I think playing for JVG will make Swift a different player in terms of effort.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

For a more comprehensive report, look for GATER's post on Swift in one of the recent threads. He gave a very good analysis of how Swift could impact our frontcourt and he makes the points much better than I could.

Suffice to say that his energy, athleticism, and defensive abilities would compliment Yao and TMac perfectly.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

thanks ill check it out

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Man, that is so true. That's exactly why Walker or Marshall would be a better bet this off-season.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I didn't ask people to discuss if we can get Swift here in this thread. I am asking people to PRAY WITH ME, because on paper, we have NO CHANCE!

"could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Matthew 26:40

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm hoping for, at best, a S&T. No way we're getting him for the MLE. Praying regardless.

8. nmercer

nmercer Member

I am calling you crazy. Swift has a mid range jumper. Cato couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the middle of the ocean. Also Cato has no where near the athleticism of Swift. Cato has proven he is a life long back up and Swift hasn't even had a chance to pick the splinters out of his butt yet. Give him a chance in the right situation before you compare him to Cato.

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Atlanta does have space because they are going to offer Joe Johnson (and lock up that salary for 15 days) AND word is they are going after Tyson Chandler (why they want to go after 2 restricted free agnets is beyond me... guess that is why they are the Hawks)

right now (barring a S n Trade) on New Orleans can out bid Houston for Swift... and if he goes there, he will get what he deserves (and so will they)

Swift needs to wake up and realize he is a role player, not a superstar

10. enigmacx

enigmacx Member

Only locked up for 7 days according to new CBA.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ESPN's John Hollinger's thoughts on Stromile Swift and Houston in his most recent Chat today....

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8664

Greg: Houston, TX: John, What are the chances of a team with cap space offering Stromile Swift a deal that exceeds the MLE? If no team does, what are the Rockets' chances of landing him among the other MLE teams?

John Hollinger: (1:53 PM ET ) I think the Rockets are his new home if nobody shows Swift more dough, and Milwaukee using its cap space on Simmons has to be a good sign. Sign-and-trade possibilities still could trip them up though.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

Thanks Greg. ;)

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah but Swift was a 2nd overall pick so it's not like he was shoved to the back of the bench because he was not expected to be good. He has only been better than J-Will and Darko out of all the #2 picks in the last decade.

I dunno it just seems like he has been a pretty big bust. If we do sign him I hope to god he does come out of nowhere and start to be able to play big minutes and dominate on the glass and on defense and be able to play in 75+ games, but I don't see it happening.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Hmm... he's 25 now.. that would have put him at, what, 14, 15 years old when the Rockets won their back-to-backs? He did say that the Rockets were his favorite team growing up, right?

Hard to imagine he would not be dying to become a part of what had to be a really great experience for him as a fan growing up..

Perhaps joining such an organization would be just the thing to help him 'become all that he can be', so to speak..

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That whole 2000 NBA Draft was a bust:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft00/
    1. PF Kenyon Martin
    2. PF Stromile Swift
    3. SF Darius Miles
    4. PF Marcus Fizer
    5. SF Mike Miller
    6. SG DerMarr Johnson
    7. C Chris Mihm
    8. PG Jamal Crawford
    9. Joel Pryzbilla
    10. PG Keyon Dooling
    11. PF Jerome Moiso
    12. PF Etan Thomas

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

This doesn't jive with your sig. "Get Darius Miles now!" :eek:

17. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

maybe he is a movie producer and enjoys Darius' acting abilities...
    [​IMG]

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

:D

Just because he's been a bust, doesn't mean the Rockets shouldn't get him. And you got to love those acting skills.

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

damn, what an ugly draft :eek:

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Actually some of the best players from that draft is toward the bottom. That really was a crappy draft.