1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Shohei Ohtani...what would you trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by backwardhead, Jun 6, 2023.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Would you trade:
    Hunter Brown and King Tuck to sign Shohei Ohtani if he signed a 10 year deal at $40 mil a year?

He's not going to stay with the Angels after this season and they aren't even going to compete for a playoff spot. Get while the gettins' good I say. What do you say? If not HB and King Tuck, then who?

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Lol he’s not signing for only $40M and regardless that would be absurd to give up that much for half a season.

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's very close for me. I initially thought yes (as long as he's guaranteed to stay) but I will say no.

It won't matter because 10 years is too short and $40M per year is not enough.

Judge was 2 years older last year when he signed 9 yrs and $40M.

So- minimum 11 yrs and +$5M for being more valuable and $5M for being a year later.

11 yrs, $550M. If that's not the offer don't bother bidding.

I am happy to watch the rest of this year and 5 more for Hunter and 2 more for Kyle.

4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Absolutely not. I would not sign anyone to a 10 year deal for 40 Mil per if I could get him for nothing. I would certainly not trade Tucker and Brown for a half season of Ohtani. How would you feel about McCullers and Whitley for a half season of Ohtani?

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

Don't want Ohtani. As a hitter only or a pitcher only then yes for half but would never pay $40/mil for him to go both ways. He couldn't last 10 years at this rate and would be a massive overpay

Tomstro likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t see any possibility that Houston can match up with LA on an Ohtani trade. The Angels are in a bad spot with 2 nearly untradable players in Trout and Rendon and a superstar on an expiring contract who is without precedent and therefore very difficult to value. They have gaping holes at 2B, SS, SP, and RP and they have a crummy farm. Their owner is near the end of his tenure and they have no clear plan. They frittered away the prime years of one of the 5 best baseball players to ever live with half measures and stupid free agent signings and now they’re stuck with what’ll be a barely fair value major contract for the second half of his career. I can’t even say I have a clear idea of what they should do. They’re out of it this year and they can’t afford Ohtani so they should definitely trade him. Ideally they can get 2 of the top 50 prospects in baseball for him (ideally SP). They’ll hopefully be able to trade Renfroe, Urshela, and Drury for a few interesting pitching prospects who can address their lack of bullpen depth as soon as next season. There’s no sense trying to shed Rendon at this point. And they’re married to Trout. They’ll give Walsh, Thaiss, O’Hoppe, Neto, Moniak, and Ward a chance to establish (or re-establish) themselves and hope for the best from their lineup. O’Hoppe, Walsh, Rendon, Ward, and Trout give them 5 above average hitters under control, with Neto and Moniak representing young players with upside and defensive value. Thaiss has hit well enough to deserve continued opportunities. They need a star 2B or SS.

I’d test the market for Sandoval and Canning if I were them. Aside from those 2 MoR/BoR SP and maybe Detmers their pitching staff is a mess and there’s not much help coming from the farm anytime soon. If they fix that at this years deadline they can fill in the gaps via free agency, but they’re toast without some seriously good luck.

There’s just an awful lot built on hope for the Angels no matter how they slice it.

Anyway the Astros don’t have the types of players to be in the mix for Ohtani, especially considering they won’t be in the market to sign him in free agency and they share a division with the angels.

#6 Snake Diggit, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  7. HTown2017Champs

Just because you would give that up for Ohtani doesn't mean they would accept it. If we offered them that package, they would hang up and laugh. The Angels already have enough bad contracts (like Rendon) and have been hampered by several others during the Trout era, why would they want another contract with the potential to be an albatross? Whitley, at this point, is worth nothing. He cannot stay healthy, and this is his last option year. Yes, he's a former top prospect who still has upside, but every team has guys like that in their farm, and when you trade a talent like Ohtani, even if he's just a rental, you look for sure things, not lotto tickets.

Realistically, the Angels won't even entertain an offer without one of Brown, Diaz, or Gilbert - if they're even open to trading him inside the division (which, for a rental, during a year they're presumably punting if they trade him, isn't too bad, but still).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think he’s going to be a Giant

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Dusty, Maldanado, Abreu and Montero for Ohtani

Angels get the iconic World Series winning manager, the best catcher in baseball (Angels pitching would immediately become Cy Youbg candidates), a borderline HOF 1B and one of the highest paid set up men in baseball, all for a rental

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Julks and Abreu....

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hypothetical Ohtani trades I think are plausible:

Dodgers for DH Michael Busch and C Diego Cartaya

Diamondbacks for SS Jordan Lawler and SP Brandon Pfaadt

Pirates for C Henry Davis and SP Quinn Priester

Brewers for SS Brice Turang, OF Joey Wiemer, and OF Sal Frelick

Rangers for 2B Justin Foscue and SP Jack Leiter

Twins for SS Brooks Lee and SP David Festa

Orioles for OF Coby Mayo, OF Heston Kjerstad, and 2B Jordan Westburg

Blue Jays for SP Ricky Tiedemann and 2B Addison Barger

Yankees for OF Jasson Domínguez, SS Trey Sweeney, and OF Spencer Jones

Rays for OF Curtis Mead, SS Carson Williams, and SP Cole Wilcox

They’d require Yainer Diaz and Drew Gilbert from the Astros but I don’t even think that’d be enough given the division conflict and the Angels long term needs.

Right now I would name the Rangers, Orioles, and Diamondbacks as the favorites to acquire Ohtani, with the Yankees, Twins, and Dodgers right behind them.

Pipedream likes this.
  12. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I can see the Yankees doing this, even including Volpe and taking on Rendon's contract, for a rental with no guarantee to re-sign. Assuming they can stomach Stanton in the field full-time, it gives them a pretty good to great 1-6 lineup and a 1-2 punch in the playoffs with Cole/Ohtani.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Most likely some team is going to do something incredibly stupid to get Ohtani; I have no problem with it being the Yankees.

14. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Thanks for all of the ideas on who might get him. The more I think about it the more SF makes sense. In my mind so much of it will come down to how much he wants to be a WS champion. He's going to get paid wherever he goes, but apparently he has stated that winning is most important to him. If that's true, then there's no way he stays with the Angels no matter how much they pay.

I tossed Tuck and HB out there because I love both and it would hurt. Figured their potential gets us into the ballpark of a fair trade for Ohtani. Would probably need to add someone like Yanier Diaz as well. And the cost would be upward of $50 mil. I think I might still do it. But it's not my money!

15. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

You have to separate the half year trade from the FA extension. I could see the Astros kicking the tires on a rental trade, but not for Tuck and Brown.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. toby

toby Member

If we are dreaming, I'd much rather trade for Trout. Remaining years aren't so bad with current market and I think he helps us more than SHO.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Because he's a rental other teams will pay much more than I would pay, and he might be worth it.

Maybe Pedro Leon, Jayden Murray, and Joe Perez.

18. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Abreu (J), Maldonado, Baker... straight up... let them figure out the numbers

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wouldn’t come close

There will be teams that will pay for him not as a rental, because they will think he is the key to winning it all, which in turn could help them keep him

rockbox likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think the Dodgers have to be the favorite for him next year. I'm not sure about their farm but they always have good prospects. Dodgers cleared their books this year so they can go all in this coming season. I can even see them taking trout off their hands.