1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Rockets, there is No More "Next Year"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Jun 17, 2009.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

The 2008-2009 season ended in bitter, helpless defeat. Once again the Rockets were forced to play a significant number of playoff games without perennial superstar Yao Ming, only this time it was without both Yao and Tracy McGrady, who was sidelined with a major knee injury in February.

The Rockets have several glaring questions entering the 2009-10 season they must address.

Management must find a solid backup center in the draft or free agency because it seems like every year Yao is going to miss games due to injury.

Coach Rick Adelman must decide how he is going to run the lineup next season with a presumed healthy Tracy McGrady returning. Is he going to bring Artest or Battier off the bench? Is McGrady finally going to have a healthy season and return to form?

The players will have to develop a chemistry necessary to win championships. It seemed with Tracy McGrady in the lineup they lacked trust and ball movement; that has to be addressed.

Draft Plan

The Rockets should enter the NBA draft looking for post help for Yao Ming. Yao has always had trouble with injuries and stamina his whole career, so anyone that can get him rest will benefit the entire team.

The problem with this is the Rockets don't have any draft picks, so the only way they would be able to get one is to trade players on the current roster or draft picks next year.

If I were Rockets general manager Daryl Morey—who has done a fantastic job—I would trade a first round pick next year and second round pick in 2011 for a first round pick this year, so they could draft post player Taj Gibson from USC. Gibson averaged 14 points, nine rebounds and three blocks per game as a junior for USC.

The Rockets' window for championships is closing and they need to have a win now mentality. They can't afford to worry about future draft picks.

Free Agency

In free agency, the Rockets should be looking to address the same problems as the draft if they cannot somehow obtain draft picks. Here are a few players to consider.

Author Poll
    Where do the Rockets finish next season?

Champs Western Conference Finals Exit: Round 2 Exit: Round 1 Miss Playoffs vote to see results

Aaron Gray

Gray is a restricted free agent from the Bulls and a player I've watched since he was in college. He has a big body and is a good rebounder. He could give the Rockets solid minutes off the bench and doesn't fit into Vinny Del Negro's system.

Lamar Odom

Odom should be on the Rockets' wish list, but he will likely be looking for money the Rockets couldn't afford. He can play all three front court positions and now has championship experience.

Charlie Villanueva

Villanueva will likely be re-signed by the Bucks, but it can't hurt to fathom. He had an unbelievable season off the bench. He also started for a significant amount of games and averaged over 16 points and nearly seven rebounds per contest. He was a candidate for sixth man of the year.

Rasheed Wallace

Wallace is an interesting endeavor. He could most definitely play the center position and back up Yao Ming, but his ego would not allow that.

In any case, if the Rockets acquired him, they could start him at power forward and have a legit shooting threat and have incredible depth with Scola and Landry off the bench. 'Sheed would have to take a big pay cut, however.

Carlos Boozer

Boozer would be the ultimate prize, but there is a .0001 percent chance the Rockets sign him, even though he is an unrestricted free agent. For one, he enjoys playing in Utah, but more than that, the Rockets can't afford him.

In order to sign Boozer they would need to get rid of some cap room and trade Tracy McGrady, but no one has shown interest in the aging, oft-injured superstar.

Trade Scenarios

The Rockets have expressed a looming interest in Vince Carter, but hopefully they have put that to rest. There are only a handful of players I would like to see the Rockets trade, and none but Tracy McGrady have substantial salaries.

Keep in mind not very many teams have expressed interest in T-Mac, but the following are some trades that meet the cap requirements and could get Yao some help at the same time.

Chris Bosh and Jason Kapono for Carl Landry and Tracy McGrady.

Now, I'm not really sure but it seems like Chris Bosh is ready to leave Toronto, and if the Rockets can somehow convince the Raptors that Tracy is healthy, they might accept this deal.

It gives them a legitimate superstar in return for their own, as well as a power forward in Landry who is more than capable of starting for Toronto.

For the Rockets it gets rid of Tracy's contract a year before it is up, it also gives the Rockets a scary front line as well as a lights out shooter off the bench.

Carl Landry, Joey Dorsey, and 2010 draft pick (unspecified) for PF LaMarcus Aldridge

It's hard to fathom the Blazers wanting to get rid of Aldridge, but if they can improve their depth and get future help as well they might be interested.

For the Blazers it gives them depth on the front line and possibly a first round pick next year.

The Rockets get an established young power forward who can stretch the floor and create his own shot. Yao and Aldridge on the same court is scary.

If I had my way, these are the only two trades the Rockets would pursue, because giving up Landry would mean giving up one of my favorite players on the team.

He showed so much heart and determination this year, coming back from a gunshot wound to play in the playoffs. the only way I would be able to let him go is if we get a superstar in return.

The Rockets' faithful has much to look forward to, even if none of these issues are addressed. However, like every other year we must ask ourselves whether or not Yao will be healthy for the post eason. If he is, they will be successful. If not, they will compete in the regular season and falter in the postseason.

I get tired of saying, "just wait 'til next season" when Yao gets injured. It gets old and the team has enough talent to win now. Maybe after next season we'll have no excuses and Yao will be holding the Larry O'Brien trophy over his head.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/201135-houston-rockets-offseason-analysis/show_full

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

That one made me laugh...

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Well Kapono doesn't play for the craptors anymore

4. Ismail

Ismail Member

LOL if that happened that deal would be up there with Gasol-Kwame in terms of one-sidedness.

5. rocketsmetalspd

I am sure Morey will get a deal done during the draft, now will it be a big deal we all soon find out next week. I hope the SG and backup C are taken care of during the Summer. I don't want the team dealing with distractions during this pre-season. I want the team to be ready to go come the first day of the regular season with no excuses of the team not being whole till later on the season that would suck once again.

6. gta

gta Member

Are you trying to run for GM of the year or ridiculous trade proposer of the year?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How do you guys feel about this? He's a skilled player, but I think signing the Great Deceiver brings bad karma.

8. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Aaron Gray wouldn't be a bad player. But if there's someone else out there (like the POLISH HAMMER, OH YEAHH!!!), them I would pass on Gray.

Odom would be AMAZING! I would rather have Lamar on this team than Ron Artest (ie, give Odom the money Artest wants). Odom has also played off the bench a lot, so there wouldn't much complaint if Adelman started Battier instead.

Pass on CV. Battier = Artest > CV.

Sheed's ego would be hurt? His crappy team (who won the title five years ago, btw) is probably going to consider rebuilding, after trading away Mr. Big Shot. Sheed has a chance to come to a contender, where he could create a lot of matchup problems for the opposing 4, if he started there (instead of behind Yao). I would LOVE Sheed on this team.

Pass on Boozer. Ruiner of team chem + wants more money than Scola and Landry ever will? No way, no how. I love his name though.

9. MandM's

MandM's Member

Total BS.

There is always "NEXT YEAR" in professional sports. Just look at Golden State, Charlotte, Sacramento, etc. The world doesn't end because you don't win a championship. Teams will keep playing...people will keep showing up

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Can someone please explain to me what is going through people's minds when they post ridiculous **** like this?

11. houston19519

houston19519 Member

LMFAO

:eek: ;) :p :D

12. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

wilt for bryce drew get it done...

13. ying861020

ying861020 Member

14. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

I hope you know you wasted a lot of time making this terrible plan.

15. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Blah...blah...blah.....Dude.....aside from the Steve Francis era and the last two years (since Morey's been on board) we've been in a perpetual state of "Win Now mode" since the 1st championship :rolleyes:

One of the reasons (besides crappy drafting by CD) is that we constantly drafted players who we had no intention of playing and sending them overseas AND also drafting players and trading them for thirty year old has beens who didn't amount to too much when they got here.

If you can't tell..........I HATE THE PHRASE "WIN NOW MODE" ;)

16. choujie

choujie Member

Where is that random trade idea thread? This one belongs.

17. redao

redao Member

add one more:

fire Adelman.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I stop reading after the poster proposed Tmac+Landry for Chris Bosh and Kapono. And then later Landry+ someone for Aldridge. Who the hell in their right mind would want to get rid of those players??

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a bleacher report article he posted, see the link at the bottom.

20. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

Always listen to your parents.... Don't take drugs :D ... joke.. peace out