1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

for rm95 and other simms-haters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Dec 2, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I was wrong.

I don't know how else to say it.

I was at the game tonight. for two years, I have defended simms. I have wanted so badly to believe that he really was as good as he was supposed to be. he is not.

I know it comes too late to do any of us any good, but I now see that major is by far the better quarterback. major doesn't lose games. simms does.

I don't want to hear any of that "we win as a team, we lose as a team" b.s. we lose as chris simms turns the ball and 26 points over to the other squad.

I have never seen another player self-destruct so badly. after the first pick, I turned to the folks I was with and said, "that's it. after he throws one, more will follow."

we all agreed that the injury was a completely faked injury. there was nothing wrong with his hand. he was throwing bullets just before the second half as all the quarterbacks were warming back up.

simms simply cannot handle big-game pressure. it is proven. there is nothing more to discuss on that front. next year looks bleak.

as far as mack brown's culpability, the only fault I lay at his feet is this: 2 years ago, he decided to live or die with chris simms. that was the wrong choice. that is mack brown's crime. not bad play-calling. not getting out-coached by the other team. he simply chose the wrong quarterback to live and die with.

and as a final, parting shot. . . some coach should have drilled into the players heads that they should NOT try to block that last punt. we didn't need it. that was one of several plays that kept killing an incredible effort to come back from simms' meltdown.

anyway, I called out rocketman95 a bunch publically, so I will now humble myself before him.

rocketman95, you were right. I was wrong. [about simms, anyway]

and to all the other simms-haters: y'all were right. I was wrong.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think alot of fans will agree with you. My friends and I just looked at each other when Simms left the game. We too agreed the injury was BS. Mack was going to pull Simms at any moment. Simms just left on his own. We could all hear the boos on TV.

Agreed. Simms is not a good QB. We can't go back. However, Chris should not start at UT again. Major should start the bowl game. Chance, Chris, and Matt Nordgren should compete for the starting job in the Spring. I don't care if Chris is a senior. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Better off in the NFL.

Don't forget Mangum's missed FG. Also, the defense's inability to shut down Chris Brown.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

D8mn, Smokey, our defense couldn't get a breather. Chris made certain of that.

Chris was also indirectly responsible for Major having to run a offense w/o our best running back and lineman.

Chris has talent, but in the offseason he needs to learn how to read defenses quicker, and how to recover mentally from a screw-up. He falls apart.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

It's hard to blame Dusty when he had a 3/4 day including a 50 yarder. Can't expect perfection.

Also, how did Mike Williams get hurt. He runs into Defensive guys much bigger than Cedric all the time w/o getting hurt, so what was different on that play. However, man did it look like Cedric took a shot. Running the opposite direction right into a 350 lb man and leading with his head it appeared. Man that had to hurt.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

The last two parts of the quote, are tremendously well stated. Could not have said it any better.

And I was a big-time simms supporter. And I too, was wrong. I argued with my buddies saying Simms was the right guy. I was wrong.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I was wrong as well. Can't help but root for the guy though.