1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For dudes over 30 and never married

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Nook

Nook Member

The polo shirt bandit was a Houston bank robber that got national fame before killing himself after being discovered. Great handle on here though.

2. Poloshirtbandit

It was the big news story at the time that I got into the Internet. I've used this handle mostly for online games ever since.

1 person likes this.
  3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

So you're not really him? For a minute I thought you might be posting from beyond the grave and I was about to run over to the nearest Ron Paul rally so I could tell ToyCen.

I still think you could improve your luck with the ladies if you stopped stealing their shirts though.

1 person likes this.
  4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm married for almost 2 years now, and there was no drawback for me. essentially nothing changed when we got married (we already bought a house together).

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

No, your ads are based on your browsing history.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Man, a lot of you guys seem, well shallow. You seem to think that they ultimate key to a woman's happiness is marriage and they/she can be content with nothing but that. It's like you honestly think they need us (us being men) when that is not true at all. There are plenty of women who can function just fine without marriage and really with out any type of real relationship at all and be perfectly happy with it.

#86 Lil Pun, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Of course, there's the other side of the coin. My in-laws were married at 19 and 21 respectively and they're celebrating their 50th anniversary next year. 3 kids, 3 son-in-laws (I'm the best), and 7 grandkids later, they literally couldn't be happier.

Like someone else said, it helps if you marry someone you're hot for but is also your best friend. I tell my wife all the time that if we had met under different circumstances (both married or otherwise spoken for), we would probably still be good friends.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This x 1000. Whenever the Mrs. and I argue, which is extremely rare, one of us will inevitably say "do we really want to spend the day like this or having fun like we normally do?" and that typically does it right there.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am well past 30 and not married. I posted my thoughts about marriage a few months ago in this thread.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=210735&highlight=marriage

To sum up I have soured on the idea of marriage after seeing how bad some friends of mine marriages ended up. I have come close to marriage twice, first time she wanted and I didn't, second time I wanted and she didn't. This was two different people and looking back I don't regret that things worked out that way.

As far as the loneliness question I haven't been in a relationship in two years and I do miss the companionship particularly having a nice warm body in bed cold Minnesota night, but I am not sure just being lonely is enough to rush into a relationship let alone marriage. It seems to me that if you act pretty much out of fear you might not make the best decisions.

Also for me as I have been traveling a lot the last few years at the risk of bragging committing to monogamy wouldn't be the best idea.

As far as what happens in the future I know I am not getting any younger and can feel age creeping up on me every morning when I feel my joints creaking when I wake up. I am not ruling out marriage at this time as I feel like I am getting too old for quick relationships and night stands but I am not actively pursuing it either. I think at this point I am wise enough (I hope) not to rush into anything out of fear of being alone or infatuation.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a great point. I think too many people buy into the "happily ever after" myth that we are fed as kids. Also I think too many people think more about the ceremony than what it actually means to be married. This applies to both women and men.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The other key is to know exactly where you are going to eat when you pull off the highway on a trip. :)

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just married last year, at 37. In my twenties I had too much fun at college and the bar scene to even think about it. I ran through girlfriends like DD posts. I then settled down with a job and focused/concentrated on growing with my job and learning about myself.

I ALWAYS had the idea that marriage was a scam, I never wanted kids, blah blah. That changed quickly last January when a crush from high school "friended" me on Facebook. She had no kids, degreed and well off like myself, absolutely, insanely gorgeous and we just clicked like best friends instantly. The only part that kind of scared me is that she is a well known socialite in Houston and I knew I'd have to start attending all of the events she caters to. I got over that quickly, and since marriage she has pretty much stopped and focused her attention to our lives and the doggies, lol.

We knew each other from 6th grade to the end of high school, but then just lost touch. She was kinda scared of me as I was a dick in HS, popular and in the party crowd while she was all about studying. We did marry this past October and I can admit I've never been more happy in my life.

BTW- We do not share checking accounts (Not sure why everyone keeps bringing this up) we both want children, and we rarely, if ever argue about anything. We're best friends, and if an argument starts we quickly end it as we both hate to see each other upset. I still get my privacy if I want it (I'll check out in the office downstairs with Rox on TV and beer in hand) but I couldn't imagine her not in bed with me ever again. I absolutely love our time together and the companionship.

Maybe I just got very lucky, we just "click". Like I said earlier, I had never planned on this, but for myself in the past it was just a cop out. I just hadn't met the right person and I was too focused on myself. Now that my career is in good shape and I met my true soul mate, I have never been more happy. We're now trying very hard for a child, and when this happens I will be ecstatic.

PS- I "thought" I was happy when single, the privacy, doing what I wanted when I wanted, etc. Well, I still have privacy when I want it, I still do whatever I want just with a best friend and it's so much more fun experiencing life with someone I deeply love.

1 person likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i love the idea of Living apart together. you each have your own place, get to miss each other because you're not always together, you don't have to put up with one another's idiosyncracies, and you don't ever become too comfortable with each other.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Everyone's got to find the path that's right for them. The world's changed substantially over the course of the past century. Old model's virtually gone and both spouses with career ambitions adds new dimensions to things.

In my cynical view, the sanctity of marriage has eroded almost completely. The rise of cohabitation has blurred the lines of a serious relationship and marriage. Til Death Do Us Part has become empty words in 60-70% of marriages.

I'm not saying it's good or bad...divorce has become rampant...but is that worse than the old model of spouses being miserable in a dysfunctional broken marriage that they can't get out of? My father hated himself for being married to my mom for 3 decades - but he wouldn't consider divorce until she started taking aim at my sister and me 10 years ago. Most would have dumped her and left when we were 5.

I agree that most get married way too soon - being in a relationship really puts you in a fog and blinds you to a lot. Shocker - my mom was the first person my dad dated. I think you need to have several serious relationships before you start to get a grasp of what matters and if you love the person or if you just love being in a relationship.

I'd also say, guys for certain need to get ****ing out of their system. It never stops being great...but you have to do your laps around the coital buffet of life, get your fill, and get to where you aren't going to be with someone simply because of the bedroom/hot tub. Goes into losing the blinders I mentioned above. Seen too many guys get married before it was out of their system - always going to be trouble down the line.

Marriage is just so easy to get wrong. Odds are overwhelmingly against it. There's a sea of attractive women, there's a lake of date-able ones (for you), there's a small creek of ones that would make great spouses (for you)....but then you have to meet when you're both in the right place in your lives, both be interested, and establish the relationship correctly (i.e., know how to disagree without fighting). It's a doozy. 95% of the time, the chick you're dating is NOT someone you should marry.

But for me, I got incredibly lucky and married an amazing partner. Honest to god jackpot. Approaching 8 years, have a 2-yr old, and are both incredibly happy. Still have 50+ years to go, so I can't throw down a Mission Accomplished banner....but I can say marriage was right for us.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly!

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

In my experience if you want to do this you do not have found the right woman. With my wife I didn't want to have a own place, when we met we spend so much time together that we automatically started living together.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Nah, there's no reason to go to Russia. There are plenty of women who'll marry a guy for a green card right here in Houston.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

30??? You guys going through marriage pangs at 30? Even girls don't go through that by then....

Different question at 40. A friend who recently joined the dating pool at 40 said that for most men, never married by 40....there's a very good reason. They're like dogs who've never been housebroken. Destined to live outside.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that's very true. I think, regardless of what is discussed, in the back of your head you have to be ready to accept that too. Basically, you have to be ready to give up what you want. :grin: