1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For anyone who thinks the Texans can't win in Baltimore...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Jan 8, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Remember this? Antonio Smith, Neil Rackers and Jake Delhomme sure do:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290110029

This is the game that gives me the most hope. The '08 Panthers (12-4) were a team very similar to the Ravens (12-4) this year. Strong running game, a physical and uber-aggressive defense, and unbeaten (8-0) at home. That included a win over these same Cardinals. But their weakness was erratic/inconsistent QB play, and it reared its ugly head in the playoffs.

Yes, the Cardinals had Kurt Warner. But don't make the mistake of assuming they were better than these Texans. There's a reason they were 9-7 and lost 4 of their last 6 going into the playoffs, most in blowout fashion. And it wasn't because of Warner that they won that game in Carolina. It was the defense, which limited Carolina to 269 yards and intercepted Delhomme five times.

I don't think there was a national pundit anywhere that picked Arizona in that game. They were an overwhelming underdog, yet won convincingly (on the road) because their defense took advantage of a shaky QB and made plays. It's not impossible to envision the Texans doing something similar against Flacco, especially after the three turnovers they forced yesterday.

I'm not saying the Texans will definitely win, but anyone counting them out doesn't have much of a memory.

#1 The Cat, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we can win this game if the O-line can continue to open holes for Arian. If we have to rely on TJ Yates to make plays against the Ravens, I think eventually their defense is going to fool him significantly and force a bad turnover. But if our running game can render TJ's role to game manager, then we have a great shot at going into Baltimore and winning. Of course, our defense will need to dominate again as well. Can't let Ray Rice go crazy.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's a reason they call them upsets. If we had a Hall of Fame QB I'd be a lot more confident. Warner may not have won that game but he didn't lose it either the way rookie QB's often do on the road.

4. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

We absolutely have a "punchers chance", yes Joe Flacco is a "veteran QB with substantial playoff experience" but he is definitely more of the serviceable "game manager" type than a Brees or a Rodgers who can absolutely shell you.

The Rice/Williams combo is something of a wash with Foster/Tate. I give the slight edge to our guys actually.

Both defenses are great. They have experience, we have young legs. We don't have a ball hawk like Ed Reed, injuries have caused us to have to press most of our depth into service.

Vegas is right to set them as favorites, but I think it's going to go down to the wire Texans 21- Ravens 17.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't think the Texans will win against Baltimore, but it's definitely a possibility. The one thing that I do like about this game is that Yates does not seem to get rattled on the road.

If our defense can make another Watt like play we can get the W.

6. conquistador#11

anyone that counts out any team in the playoffs has not been watching NFL football the past 11 years. Anything can happen. If we had to play a seven game series, we would get routed in five games but that's the beauty..one game.

2 people like this.
  7. HPD

HPD Member

Ravens take this game.....

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Let's hope Dre is a difference maker this time around against the Ravens.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What I would give to have a Seahawks-esque touchdagger drive with Arian Foster.

What I would also give to play at home. :(

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Winner of this game is going to the superbowl imo. Both can beat the pats

1 person likes this.
  11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Not sure if serious.

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Since he is not injured as opposed to last time. The ravens loaded the box and concentrated on containing foster. Foster will have a better game this time around.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Of course I'm serious. If the texans beat the ravens they can beat anyone. Baltimore is the best team in the afc

14. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I wish Chris Crocker could play db for the Ravens next Sunday. It won't be easy, but the Texans can win just have to bring their a game.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Actually I agree with this.

16. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

This is what scares me... While Flacco is by no means in the upper echelon of quarterbacks (which is definitely a good thing for us, as our defense can possibly capitalize on this opportunity), neither is Yates. Let's just hope that at the end of Sunday, we come out on top.

17. today

today Contributing Member

I think we'll play them close, but I think we have to get one unexpected, extraordinary play to put us over the top.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the team plays like they did on Saturday, against the Ravens, we have a legit shot. Hell, if we play as well as we played Saturday, we have a legit shot to beat anyone in the league. That's what it's going to take. Absolutely we can beat the Ravens. They're coming off of a bye week (which I think could do a disservice to them). The Texans are coming off the best game in the franchise's history. They have a whole city behind them. A city that is willing to cheer their hearts out. The Ravens have a half-drunk city of bad-accented goons behind them. The young Texans team has seen what it will take to beat teams in the playoffs. They've played it. They've seen what happens when you win a meaningful game and then take your foot off the pedal. What is the next step? Floor it, or let up because you don't want to get a speeding ticket?

This game comes down to quarterbacking and big plays, as do most NFL games. Both teams have inconsistent quarterbacks. One of them is due for a letdown. In Baltimore, most people would say it's our young TJ Yates. I tend to think that the fact that the Ravens have been there before, and the fact that they've had a week off will allow us to catch them off guard. They're thinking that they've already beat the Texans this year. They're thinking that they beat us WITH Matt Schaub. How could they not beat us again? That, ladies and gentlemen, is why they are not a Super Bowl team (ask the Seattle Seahawks and the Jacksonville Jaguars).

If TJ Yates can manage the game, and maybe hit Andre for a big play or two, I think we have a shot. I think Foster will get his.

The X factor of this game, though, in my opinion, is James Casey. Owen Daniels might be out. I'm not sure yet. (Haven't heard one way or another) These two teams are very similar. What is the one weapon that the Texans have that the Ravens don't? James Casey. If our passing game fails, and the running game fails, I hope that Kubiak pulls out something crazy. Go into a wishbone formation, with Casey and Vickers flanking Foster. Use Foster and Vickers to block for Yates. Have Yates do a quick three step-drop, and dump it to Casey on a side of the field that the receivers have ran away from. Rinse and repeat until the run game opens. Casey gives you that variable that teams have a hard time defending. I think it is imperative that Kubiak uses Casey in as inventive ways as possible in this game. If I recall correctly, Casey was not available during our first game in Baltimore. I truly think he is the key to this game.

I think somehow, some way, the Texans find a way to do this. If they do, it will be insane. I just hope we don't lay a dud, which could also happen.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The other interesting thing of note, IMO: the Pats-Broncs play first, Saturday night. I think our greatest chance is rooted in Baltimore overlooking us, and having their "next" opponent confirmed (*especially* if it's somehow Denver) could really be a factor in how Baltimore approaches our game.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We need a lot of things to go right for us, and a lot to go wrong for them. But it's definitely possible. I think the biggest thing we have to do is pressure Flacco into turning the ball over more than once. Take the crowd out of it, generate a 'bonus' TD, and above all else, get them behind and don't let Rice control the game on the ground.

There's going to be incredible pressure on Yates to play the game of his life. They've got an opportunistic D that is salivating at the thought of a rookie with only 6 games under his belt.