1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOOTBALL] Offical 08/09 English Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketFan007, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Let's get in started, the season starts Saturday.

What are your predictions? Assuming Man United land Berbatov, I'd be surprised if they didn't take the title for the third year in a row. We might start slow with all our injuries/suspensions (Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Park, Nani, Anderson and maybe Rooney). I'm expecting a monster season from Rooney is he returns to his natural position behind a main striker. Chelsea have reloaded, but I still think they rely too much on Drogba for goals. Will Liverpool be able to make a push with a Torres/Keane partnership? I don't think they can with their lack a wide men. How will Arsenal cope with the loss of Flamini and Hleb? Nasri should be fine in place of Hleb, but they haven't brought anyone in for Flamini. He was the glue for them last season. Can anyone actually overtake one of the big 4 this season?

1. Man United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Liverpool
    4. Arsenal

Relegation: Stoke, West Brom, Bolton

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't believe it's already time again...

I agree with your top with one exception. I think 'pool will finish 2nd, with Chelsea 3rd and Arsenal 4th. Ain't no reason to think that any of them can take down the mighty ManU.

3. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

I think it'll be 1. Chelsea 2. Man U 3. Liverpool 4. Arsenal
    Chelsea nearly won the premiership and champions league with a interim coach, so imagine what they could do with Luiz Felipe Scolari and Deco on board. Man U doesn't have reliable strikers and there is no way that C. Ronaldo can put up a repeat performance of last year. Liverpool I think can actually challenge for a top 2 position if they don't once again fail to live up to hype as they so often do. Gerrard-Torres was scary, add in Keane and that could be dominant. Arsenal I hope surprises everyone like they did last year when they were first for such a long time but I don't think it'll happen.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Don't think anyone will move from the outside to the top 4, although I like a lot of the Spuds moves.

1. Arsenal
    2. Man United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool

Caveat: I am an Arsenal fan so I'm hardly objective.

I don't think losing Hleb will hurt that much at all, even though I rate him highly. I think we'll be a lot more threatening with some combo of Walcott, Nasri, and Rosicky (when he gets back) handling that role. RVP had a good Euro and the Ade/RVP partnership can be devestating if RVP can stay healthy. Both Bendtner and Vela have looked off the hook and at the break we'll get Eduardo back. Flamini certainly took advantage of his chance last year, but he's one year removed from almost getting dumped to Birmingham. Although Diaby is, IMO, the natural choice - with his short term injury Denilson is going to get the chance to pair Fabregas. Personally, I highly rate Denilson. Although he had something of a sophomore slump and some injury time last year, he is really slick and I think he'll do the business this year ala Flamini last year. Once Song gets back from the Olympics I think he'll challenge for a starting place either at CB or DM. And he's a monster in waiting.

Overall, we're starting the year with players out or injured but that's sort of a reverse from last year when we led the league for a good while until injuries really ravaged the squad. Even then we only finished four points off. I don't see any reason we'll be anything but better this year. With United also having some injuries and Chelsea changing philosophies, I think we'll have the time to gel at the beginning of the season.

United certainly won't be any worse off than last year, especially if they sign Berbatov. Same could be said for Chelsea if they sign another scorer. We'll have to see how that develops.

Might be cool to also put your preferred starting XI of your favorite team?

Arsenal:

Aluminia
    Sagna Song Gallas Clichy
    Walcott Diaby Fabregas Vela
    RVP Adebayor

5. RocketFan007

Yeah, Tevez and Rooney suck. We'll add another striker, likely Berbatov, before the window closes as well.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What's the point of doing predictions when they're pretty much a variation on this for the last 10 years and willl probably be the same for the next 10 years.....

7. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Tevez and Rooney have their flashes of brilliance, but aren't consistent enough. Yeah Berbatov would be good for them. Also, heard this farfetched rumor that linked them with perhaps Thierry Henry but Wenger replied that if he came back to the Premier League it would only be back to Arsenal. That would be sure as hell interesting though if it happened.

8. RocketFan007

Tevez didn't have a preseason and was unfit all season, while Rooney played out of position and was in poor form most of the season, yet they still combined for 37 goals. How many other teams have their second and third best scorers put the ball in the back of the net that much?

Henry isn't coming.

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

typical spuds fan. the spurs might have but lost their chance when they got tummy aches from lasagna. leeds, ipswitch, newcastle and everton have all finished among the top 4 in the last ten years in addition to the 'big four.'

#9 HayesStreet, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  10. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Yeah Man U is just too deep right now although I don't think Ronaldo will have nearly as good a season as last year they have enough talent to pick up the slack. Hopefully the race down the wire is 3 teams instead of two though it would be exciting. If Liverpool can pick up points against the top teams they can challenge not sure they will though. :(

11. RocketFan007

Chelsea look scary good. 4-0 over Pompey and they are without Drogba and Essien.

United to start their season in less than 45 minutes.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man U baby !!

DD

13. mingbling

mingbling Member

I'm a gunner fan so I'm gonna be rooting for Arsenal as usual! :D

But seriously though, I think its gonna be a challenge to compete with the other Big 3. Man Utd just keeps getting better whilst Liverpool and Chelsea has bolstered their squads too. I hope we buy at least one more player before the transfer deadline is up. Otherwise, great start for Nasri getting a goal on his debut!

14. RocketFan007

Ugh, Tevez has flown to Argentina due to a death in the family. United are without Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha, Hargreaves, Park, Nani, and Anderson.

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Why isn't Nani there??

16. RocketFan007

Suspended due to the stupid red card he got against West Ham last season. He'll miss the first two matches.

And Carrick goes off injured after 25 minutes...

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exciting first half......New Castle hits first with an amazing header by Martin, and then Man U answers back less than a minute later.

The New Castle Keeper has been amazing, his head has stopped 2 sure goals already, intentional or not.

DD

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Well, Chelsea looked good. Arsenal and Man U, both without a lot of players, look underwhelming (although at least Arsenal won). Liverpool didn't look that good either.

19. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

Reds FTW! :D

Liverpool got 3 points on the road. It's enough to make me happy given how many draws they had last year.

Sunderland played well, at least the first 20 minutes or so... they are a squad on the rise and fairly active in the transfer window.

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Not a bad move, IMO, especially at the price.

Silvestre eyes regular role

Summer signing ready to challenge for starting berth
    By James Dall Last updated: 21st August 2008

Silvestre: Arsenal new boy

I left United especially because I didn't want to spend anymore time on the bench.

Mikael Silvestre hopes his transfer to Arsenal from Manchester United will present him with more first-team opportunities this season.

The French defender secured a shock move to Emirates Stadium on Wednesday for an undisclosed fee, penning a two-year deal.

Silvestre spent the majority of last campaign at Old Trafford on the sidelines through injury, but is now looking to push for a regular playing role at his new club.

"I am very glad to be here and it is an honour to finally sign for Arsenal," the 31-year-old told Arsenal TV.

"It was a big surprise, but a very good surprise in the end. I left United especially because I didn't want to spend anymore time on the bench.

"I was looking for a new challenge and when Arsenal come you cannot say no. Hopefully I can look forward to a fresh start without any injuries."

Surprised
    Meanwhile, United centre-back Nemanja Vidic has admitted he was shocked to hear that Silvestre had completed a switch to the Premier League champions' rivals.

"It surprised me. In fact I think it has come as a surprise to everyone," he said.

"It is not often a player leaves one big club to go to another like Arsenal or Liverpool. It does not tend to happen.

"But Mikael did not play much last year and I think he just wanted to go somewhere where he would, so in that sense I am happy for him.

"Mikael has given so much to this club. I am just surprised he is going to Arsenal. But he has made the choice."