1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] Ocho Cinco Jersey Probably won't be seen on Field...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by x3ldonx, Sep 11, 2008.

1. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

Lock if Already Posted...

Too Bad I really wanted to see him in the infamous OCHO CINCO jersey

Link 2 Site

It'll cost mucho dinero for Chad Ocho Cinco to switch jerseys
    By Chris Chase

Don't expect to see Chad Johnson Ocho Cinco wearing his new name on a jersey anytime soon. CNBC's Darren Rovell reports on his blog that the former Mr. Johnson would be forced to buy out the stock of the 100,000 remaining "C. Johnson" jerseys before making the switch to "Ocho Cinco". If Reebok asked Ocho Cinco to pay for the cost of making the unsold jerseys, the total could reach upwards of $4 million (or $50 million pesos). :D ...Funny

Because Johnson changed his name so close to the start of the season, Reebok was left in a bind since they'd have to produce new jerseys and eat the old ones. That's why the NFL has told Johnson he'd have to reimburse the company for the price of the jerseys. That's not unprecedented, rookie linebacker Keith Rivers did it last week when he changed his uniform number. Of course, Rivers didn't have thousands of jerseys with his name on it on sales racks nationwide.

This whole charade, of course, is pretty ridiculous. It's tough to defend Johnson, as he's so narcissistic that he makes T.O. look like Mother Teresa. And the NFL is so blatant in their attempts to block Johnson from donning his new name on the back of his Bengals jersey that it almost seems beneath them. Sure, it's inane and self-serving and could set a bad precedent, but shouldn't the league be focusing on more important issues, like stopping players from celebrating touchdowns?

2. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Old news.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I personally think it is BS. What about players who switch teams in the off-season via trade or free agency. Do they have to pay for their jerseys?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's BS. Ocho Cinco is his last name, it isn't Johnson. I know it's ridiculous but if his last name is legally Ocho Cinco, how can they make him wear a jersey with the wrong last name?

Or is his full name: Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson? If it is, then I understand.

5. LouisianaRocket

I think the NFL did a good job of going through with this. They will loose millions with his own name change..

He signed his contracts as Chad Johnson not Ocho Cinco... like the NFL said, if you want to see this name on the field this year, pay us our 4.8 million.

NFL just manned up and earned my respect even more. awesome job Goodell!

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

they just showed him how. by making him eat the cost of the thousands of jerseys that they already made a month before the season started...

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So does every player have to eat the costs of their jerseys if they get traded, released, etc.?

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That's pretty ridiculous...eat the cost due to a name change...

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can Reebok sue even sue him? They don't have a direct deal to produce his specific jersey do they? Is their deal not through the NFL? Or is it some kind of signature jersey? Sounds like the equivalent of a bad investment on their part.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's dumb. How many C. Johnson jerseys are they going to be able to sell now? They'll eat that cost anyway. Misery loves company?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry but that's complete horsesh-t.

Many players change numbers, names, and even change teams - I don't recall this ever being an issue before.

I hope Mr. Ocho Cinco explores his legal rights on this because he may have an argument here.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i like this move by the NFL Chad whatever his last name is, is one of the most arrogant players i have seen in all of sports. There is a case to be made to have showmanship in football, something to make the game fun for the fans but what he is doing is just plain kiddie antics and they are dumb imo. He is trying to be bigger than the team itself I am sure he is rubbing a lot of players in the league maybe including his own teammates the wrong way with all of his theatrics.

It seems that the cost decision is really up to the NFL and Reebok, they could probably eat the costs themselves. Not too often you see a star player traded in the NFL, trades in general do not happen too much when compared to other major league sports. So if a trade happens which includes a player that Reebok mass produces a jersey for, they probably eat the costs since it usually not the players fault he was traded. (of course not the case in Favre case, chances are they were still able to sell any remaining GB jerseys and if not they more than made that up with all the Jets jerseys sold) Both the NFL and Reebok know that Chad is doing this for himself so why should they be the ones to suffer for his childish antics? If he was being dead serious about the name change then pay the company its 4 million dollars and you can have your jersey.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The NFL and Reebok will make their money back in NEW Ocho-Cinco sales which in all likelihood would outpace C. Johnson sales over the same time period. This seems like a legal fig leaf for the NFL.

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

this is a dumb move by the nfl they would make a fortune selling 'cinco' jerseys.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But like other posters have pointed out, what about players who have been traded or released?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He Hate Me

Stupid publicity stunt quashed. NEXT!!!

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

both parties are being ridiculous

Chad, well he's narcissistic, multimillionaire athletes tend to get that way.

NFL and Reebok, that's pretty r****ded for them to make a player eat the cost of those jerseys. It's white collar big business forcing their legal crap down others throat. So your stuck with a bunch of C. Johnson jerseys to sell, big freaking deal. If I were Chad I'd make some Ocho Cinco jerseys on my own and wear it anyways. I'd take legal action if I were Chad, just to stick it up those big corporation's butt.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

like who?

19. lpbman

lpbman Member

I don't care for Chad, but if he wants his jersey to say Ocho Cinco so bad that he legally changes his name, that's enough for me.

Let him have it.

This jersey buy back thing is weak.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

did he request them to print a hundred thousand jerseys?