1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa Final Draw (seedings)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 19, 2009.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

The group you get drawn in has a huge impact on whether or not you advance. You just admitted it.

Given the likely pots, here are two possible groups for South Africa:

Group 1: Spain, Netherlands, Mexico, Paraguay
    Group 2: South Africa, Switzerland, New Zealand, Algeria

One of those is definitely harder than the other.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because USA would win? ;)

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I didn't agree to anything, you can read into it as much as you want... saying they're SUPER POWERS doesn't mean I am saying "it matters who you play." It only means that top-ranked teams and same-region teams of regions with a small representation can't all be in the same group. Also, That's what SHE said! :grin:

You don't want CRISTIANO RONALDO and BECKHAM and EL NIñO to be playing each other.
    Sure, but at least we both won't get beat by the Irish now. ;) 24 June 1994 .

#43 SwoLy-D, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, it sucks they're not in.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A good breakdown of the possible pots and what it might mean for the US...

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4686278"/></object>

Looks like it could be very good or very bad for the CONCACAF teams. If it falls this way, you're looking at 2 European teams and one from South America or Africa. Could get lucky with a South Africa, Switzerland and Algeria group. Could also potentially end up with Brazil, Netherlands, Ivory Coast group.

7. SwoLy-D

:rolleyes: WOW. That is a GREAT ANALYSIS, man. You should work for ESP'n. :p

YOU GET WHOEVER YOU GET, beat them all! :mad:

Still, you know USA will get 2 Euros, one Asian/African, one South American.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So there will be a group of 5 teams?

Math is FUNdamental. :p :grin: :) ;)

9. SwoLy-D

Conunction Junction, what's your function? :eek:

2 Euros, and one Asian, African OR South American. Damn you... :(

10. DrLudicrous

The draw procedure has been announced.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1142262.html#fifa+organising+committee+approves+final+draw+procedure

Pot 1: South Africa, Brazil, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England

Pot 2: Australia, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3: Algeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope the USA gets in the South Africa group.

:)

DD

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I like the draw, the group of death will have either Portugal or France in it, seems fair.

Also it seems FIFA may be either adding Video Replay or extra referee's to combat the fair play issues that surround the sport. I hope they add Video Replay of some sort, the last world cup was destroyed for me with acting. European teams are guilty of this the most...

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Group of Death"/Grupo de la muerte etc is like the most overused, silly cliche in all of international football/soccer.

Note to football/soccer commentariat/journalists, please get some new metaphors, The 1980's called to say that they were 30 years ago. I'm not saying you have to go Stuart Scott boo-yah style, but just something new.

Thanks in advance.

14. SwoLy-D

I hope not. BULL CRAP with the video bull. :eek: DEATH to technologifization of a beautiful sport without intrusive crap.

It is still the same thing. I like the idea of not playing the same regional teams again in the Cup... just like before... it's cool that South Africa is heading a group and won't play African countries. :cool:

#54 SwoLy-D, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  15. DrLudicrous

I hope we're in a different group. I plan on going and I think the trip will be funner if South Africa does well and the people are celebrating, if we end up in the same group then I'll have to hope they lose. Also, if we beat them I would have to deal with pissed off people.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the USA would do ok in any of the following groups.

1. South Africa
    2. Argentina
    3. Italy

We match up very well with all of them......if not then I hope we get a semi easy group. I just want to own SWOLY's Sig for 2 weeks and will take any advantage I can get .

DD

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Would you add an extra official on the field?

18. DrLudicrous

They may be talking about adding replays or extra officials, but I doubt they'd be implemented in the World Cup. FIFA usually tests out any rule changes in smaller leagues/tournaments before making them official. I guess they could use post game replays to issue suspensions more, but even that would be surprising to me.

Next year MLS is supposed to have extra officials along the endline, they're supposedly just supposed to watch for the ball crossing into the goal and not for fouls though.

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

They had an article up a few days ago about FIFA maybe thinking about getting something done quickly to rectify the questoining of the integrity of the game. However you are right these guys are slow as hell to get things implemented. Looks like we won't see extra referees in the World Cup...I hope they get something done though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8391237.stm

No extra officials for World Cup

Fifa has decided against introducing extra linesmen at the 2010 World Cup.

But president Sepp Blatter revealed that an inquiry would be carried out into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

World football's governing body had been tipped to fast-track a decision on goal-line officials in the wake of the furore over Thierry Henry's handball.

Henry handled twice before setting up France's winner against the Republic of Ireland in their World Cup play-off.

Henry, meanwhile, will be investigated by Fifa's disciplinary committee.

The Fifa president said the executive committee had discussed the idea of introducing goal-line officials at the World Cup having introduced them for this season's Europa League.

He continued: "The committee was of the opinion that we are at a crossroads: where shall we go with refereeing in the future?

"The game at the highest level is so tense that it is impossible for one referee and his assistants to see everything."

But the committee concluded that they wanted a full inquiry into both options, extra officials and the use of video technology, before making any decision about the future.

You have to admit, its getting quite ridiculous with the diving/acting that goes on in the game....I was turned off by the last World Cup because the best team was the one with the best actors... What do you do to solve something like this? THere is so much more money at stake these days that players are willing to do anything, something has to be done to counter this motivation. Adding a referee probably won't solve the problem either...

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Add video experimentation and extra officials in other competitions, not the World Cup.

Why change something that has worked for 70 years.

...and referees are improving on catching divers. Hope Torres and some others get caught next summer.