1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] English Premier League 2006/2007 season

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by univac hal, Aug 14, 2006.

1. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

With the recent "choose your EPL team" thread drawing an encouraging amount of replies, I thought it would be a good idea to get something of this sort going.. and now seems like the perfect time, with the FA Community Shield finally out of the way (and Liverpool putting one over Chelsea in the league's annual curtain raiser)

Season kicks off this weekend. Hopefully this thread will draw out the EPL fans here for some informed and civil discussion of English football, and run on autopilot if there's enough interest from you guys. I will try to bump it throughout the next 10 months, but for the record, I'm a die-hard Liverpool fan - so any updates and opinions from me will naturally have a Kop slant. Any Chelski fans, Manc scum or Gooners out there, please feel free to contribute and balance the place out :D Discussion of European football is also welcome, but let's try to keep it to the English teams for the sake of focus

To begin with, let's see your predictions for the coming season.. we'll keep it simple: top three and bottom three. You can forecast top scorer, cup winners, or even the entire league table if you want, of course. Entries will be accepted up to this Saturday, with bragging rights (no prizes) to be allocated at the end of Week 38

My predictions:
    1st - Chelsea
    2nd - Liverpool
    3rd - Manchester Utd
    Relegated - Reading, Middlesbrough, Watford
    FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Tottenham

I also predict some "soccer sucks" or "I never understood soccer" posts in this thread.. please restrain yourselves, gentlemen :)

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i know he owns the Browns, but damn i am so pumped hearing the Lerner has bought out fricken ancient tight arse Doug Ellis..... perhaps Villa can now join the real world and get some real decent players... that plus Martin ONeill means it feels just that tad better to be a Villa fan today

GO VILLA

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Man U sneaks into 2nd.....

DD

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Are you a Aston Villa fan? I have been rooting for them since Tony Cascarino played for them(altough i haven't been following it that much, in the last couple of years).

I'm looking forward to see how van Persie will do. I hope Chelsea will do bad, i just do not like the team. I want Robben to play well(altough i'm not really a fan of him), he was great when he played for Groningen, and also with PSV. buit lately when i see him play, he just seems Arrogant :(

5. univac hal

Hey arno_ed, what do you think of Kuyt? He should be signing for Liverpool soon if nothing goes wrong (fingers crossed).. saw a bit of him in the World Cup + some Internet highlights, but other than that I dunno much about him. How does he compare to, say, Van Nistelrooy?

Yeah, Villa were abysmal last season but should be ready for a fresh start with new $$$.. but I think Martin O'Neill may be slightly hit-or-miss. His Leicester teams were pretty tricky, though

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I already asked DrLudicrous in anouther thread, but I will ask you dudes here:
    Why speak in terms of plural when you mention A TEAM? For example: "Mexico is playing Argentina in the second round. Argentina scores a goal in extra time." :confused:

Isn't ONE TEAM singular? What's with going British with the soccer terms? Are you anywhere in the UK, univac hal ("Villa were abysmal")? I don't think the United States' press does that, only the British one.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think Chelsea is primed for a fall. Too many chiefs, not enough indians...

1. Man U - Rooney is going to have a huge year.
    2. Liverpool
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal

8. univac hal

:D I'm in Singapore, but I do speak the Queen's English. Former Crown Colony and all, you know

Aston Villa (the football club) is being taken over by Lerner
    Aston Villa (the team of football players) were abysmal last season

9. arno_ed

I actually hope he does not sign :D He is the best player of my favorite soccer team. If he leaves we have a problem, a Big problem.

Ok now about the player. He is a very good player. most games he is the difference between Feyenoord and The opponent.

If you compair him to Van Nistelrooy, he is more a complete player, and not as much a goalscorer.

His last 4 years:
    02-03 FC Utrecht 34 matches, 20 goals
    03-04 Feyenoord 34 matches, 20 goals
    04-05 Feyenoord 34 matches, 29 goals
    05-06 Feyenoord 33 matches, 22 goals

He is ALWAYS the hardest working player on the pitch. He has good ball handling skills. He can shoot, he can do everything well. But not a lot great. I think Liverpool will enjoy him, he will probably become a fan favorite in a short time, because he works so hard.

A video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8stA0Wur28

There is one goal he scored when he was with Utrecht, which was unbelievable(i could not find it).

10. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Can someone please explain how all these leagues work? When do they start? When do they end? What is the champions league? When is the champions league? All that kind of stuff. If anyone knows please replY!! I just can't figure it out because there are so many teams and leagues.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Each country has their own league made up of different divisions. In England the top division is the English Premiere League. One major difference between American leagues and the European leagues is the lack of playoffs/championship game. The league champ is determined by whoever has the best record at the end of the season. Also, teams at the bottom of the premiere league are relegated to a lower division and the best teams from the lower division are moved up to the premiere league.

The Champions League is a tournament made up of the top teams from the various European leagues. For instance, the top 4 or 5 teams from the previous season of the EPL are entered into it along with the best teams from Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. The number of teams from each country is based on how good the teams of that league are and how they have performed in the past. So England, Spain, and the better leagues send more teams than Belgium or Austria. Usually the smaller teams will have to go through extra rounds of qualifying before making it into the Champions League.

There is also the UEFA Cup which is made up of teams not quite good enough for the Champions League.

12. arno_ed

The Premier League: The english clubs league
    FA Cup: A cup were English teams from different divisions participate
    League cup: same as the FA cup, only less importent.
    The Serie-A: The Italian Clubs League
    Primiera Division: The Spanish Clubs League
    The Dunders Liga: The German Clubs League
    Ere divisie: Dutch clubs league

Champions league: The best of every European club league's play against each other in a cup format(depends on which country how many participate, a big league like England, spain have a couple of teams. Minor Leagues have only one (or in the dutch cas 2)).
    Eufa Cup: Other good teams from European leagues play against each other(the teams that did not finish high enough in their leagues to qualify for the Champions League).

Hope this helps.

13. IC2000

Thanks! Is the champions league every year? Also when is it and how does it work? How many games and stuff?

14. IC2000

So when do all these leagues start? How many games are they? Could you say that all the countries are more like "divisions or conferences" and the champions league is the playoffs or "world series".

15. IC2000

Last question. How do I watch the games? Are they televised live anywhere? Which is the best league to watch. I want to follow FC Barcelona after watching them play here

16. DrLudicrous

Yes, it's every year. Their are 8 groups of 4 teams that play home and away against each other, the top two teams from each group move on to a knock out stage. The knock out stage is home/away games with the best goal aggregate advancing. For the goal calculations away goals count more than home goals. For instance if Team A wins on the road 1-0 and then loses to Team B at home 2-1 the aggregate is the same (2-2) but Team B had more away goals so they advance. The final game is one game played in a predetermined location.

This year it starts on 08.24.2006, games are played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays every other week. Here's the official website for it. http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/index.html

Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV are the best. FSC shows a lot of English games while GolTV has more games from Latin countries (including Spain where Barcelona plays). ESPN has rights to Champions league and shows most of their games. If you have DirecTV there is also Setanta sports but it costs $15 a month just for it, they'll show the Champions League games that ESPN doesn't.

PS: There's also MLS, the quality isn't near La Liga or EPL but you can watch the games live and it's a lot better than people give it credit for. And really, what could be better than supporting your local team?

17. univac hal

Good choice. La Liga is the cream of the crop now, in my opinion. Technically brilliant attacking football, and not too pansy either. The EPL is played at breakneck pace and with passion, making it a good spectacle. Serie A is generally a more tactical league than the above two, but you can't go wrong watching it as well

18. DrLudicrous

Most of the leagues are starting about now or within a couple of weeks and go until about May of next year.

The teams take the leagues very seriously, more serious than a team would take their division or conference. The top goal of a team is to win their domestic league. Champions league is for bragging rights and money. Overall it is the highest quality since only the best teams participate.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Another message board I visit decided to randomly pick a team to support and we picked Blackpool (which I know are in a different division). I'm going to really try to get into EPL this season.

I've always been partial to Arsenal because of Nick Hornby and Fever Pitch.

20. IC2000

So the champions league is already starting? Shouldn't that be after the country leagues finish? Or is this the champions league for last year?