1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 1, 2009.

1. leroy

leroy Member

Fair enough. Enjoy the islands.

There are many players from the US game that should have just played their 1st and last cap. Clark has no business being out there. Jay Heaps was simply pathetic. Arnaud had a nice goal, but did absolutely nothing else. Robles just plain isn't ready for this level.

Stuart Holden, on the other hand, should be starting the rest of this tournament. He's earned at least that, if not a true shot at more time going forward. He was one of the few in the starting 11 (I've always been a Jimmy Conrad fan) that looked like they belonged. He was confident with the ball. He tracked back well. He looked to get the ball pretty much all over the field. The pass for Arnaud's goal was a thing of beauty. The tying goal was even prettier.

#61 leroy, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I hear you about Heaps but it was more about giving him something for all his service in MLS without a US cap. If there was a match to play him in it was this one. Colin Clark's a young lad, Not every kid shines on their debut,if he still plays like this in game 2 or 3 then he won't get called up. Arnaud was quite lively in the match, a bit moreso than Kenny Cooper imho and that sux cos I'm a fan of Kenny Cooper. Robles was decent and will grow into the position. No one (Outside of Jay Heaps) was worse than Michael Parkhurst.
    I thought when players move to Europe they're supposed to improve and their game progresses, instead it seems like his just regressed. He has been nothing special on the international level and I'd rather see Geoff Cameron, Boz or Michael Orozco get a chance on that level.

I don't need to say anything about Stu, you lot already know that's my boy. I went mental when he scored that goal. :)

3. leroy

leroy Member

Robles could be blamed for both goals. On the first, he was indecisive on the cross. He should have gotten a hand on it. Even a fingertip prevents the goal. He watched go right over his head. On the second, if he would have held his position, he would have at least had a chance at the shot. Instead, he came out when the defender was already back in position and left the goal wide open. It was an absolute great shot that probably couldn't be saved. Cherry didn't have to hit it that well to score, though, because it was an empty net. He made some other mistakes that just didn't happen to lead to goals. Maybe it was nerves. Whatever it was, I feel comfortable knowing there are many in front of him when it comes to games that matter.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I only blame him for the 2nd goal. I blame Parkhurst for the 1st. After Heaps got toasted on the left, Parkhurst was marking no-one, just space, and the Haitian players ghosted in behind him to score. Robles could have come out early but he'll learn.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Quarterfinals' knockout stage games today:
    CANada vs. HONduras @ 4 on Univision
    USA vs. PANama @ 7 on Telefutura

Tomorrow:
    Costa Rica vs. Guadalupe @ 3 on Telefutura
    MEXico vs. Haiti @ 6 on Univision

Panama might surprise. Something tells me Bradley will mess up the lineup again. What say you USA peeps about the game? Are we expecting a blowout? I say 3-3 and U.S. goes through with kicks from the penalty spot. The inexperience at the goalkeeper spot is costing the Stars and Stripes some goals again. :eek:

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

Nice W tonight!!

What classlessness by Panama at the end. #18, Tejada, actually took the ball and threw it at the ref and intentionally hit him in the head after the game was over. It'll be interesting to hear what the repercussions are after this one.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The USA could have won by 3 or 4 goals.....we had a couple of very near misses, Ching's header hitting the post early for one.

I really really really like Holden, he has to be in the midfield with the A team, he is so composed and creative with the ball and we need that in our midfield...desperatly.

DD

8. rawool

rawool Member

Anyone here going to Dallas for the other quarterfinal games?

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

It's only one. :eek: MEX vs. HAI ... that reminds me... isn't it a 4 hour drive there? I'm thinking about it... I know it ain't sold out.

10. rawool

rawool Member

Before that game, there's another game between Costa Rica and Guadeloupe. Yeah, it's about a 4 hour drive; heading out there tomorrow morning.

11. Uprising

Uprising Member

Damn, I missed this and it's been removed. :(

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:( Yeah, I forgot about the other game.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

OMG! Are you all watching this Costa Rica game? Awesome bicycle kick from Borges at 4' to score the go ahead goal for CRC :eek: ¡GOLAZO!

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Costa Rica is the third semifinalist after a romp of Guadalupe and one score off a handball not called. :eek:

Mexico beating Haiti 1-0. :cool:

15. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

And Mexico is the fourth!

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Simón.

I think we're improving. We have an interesting scenario here in defending Costa Rica's attack with our weaker defense. At least our offense is showing up, finally, and we're getting more scoring chances. :eek:

17. Convictedstupid

Usa vs Honduras tonight right?

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

Yes, at 6.

19. Convictedstupid

Yup, starts 6 central.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who won between Mexico and Costa Rica?

DD