1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 1, 2009.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Swoly, the US used this tournament as a way to get a look at the second and third tier players, and see if anyone was ready to make a jump into the 23 that will go to South Africa. Hell, I consider it a success that this team even made it to the final.

Mexico played extremely well, and were the better team on that day. But the real test will be next month in the Azteca, I doubt more than 2-3 of the players on the Gold Cup roster make that trip.

2. ipaman

ipaman Member

can you or someone else give me the expected starting 11 and bench for the 12th?

if i was coach my 11 would be.

ochoa
    juarez magallon marquez pinto
    castro pardo guardado
    gio franco vela

bench:
    torrado
    blanco
    salcido
    leo lopez
    barrera
    castillo
    perez GK

What most people don't understand is with mexico's coaching changes we don't have 'A', 'B', 'C' teams. We have had a ton of turnover in our wcq'ing rosters. IMO, that is part of our qualifying struggles. As the coaches have changed, 5 coaches in 2 years, our "base" has changed so much it is yet undefined. even with our base (A) constantly changing it will be enough to qualify in concacaf. come summer 2010 our base will be settled. and by settled i mean 9 of 11 positions and 7-10 bench players.

Would you nad fans say your base is complete?

1 person likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am glad the US players showed so much class, they got drummed, but they nor their coach kicked the other players.

:D

DD

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

I'm expecting a line up very similar to what we used against Spain and Brazil. There may be a couple of changes, like Ching may start over Davies just because of the experience he brings, if healthy Cherundolo may get the nod over Spector, and Bradley may not feel that Bocanegra is fast enough to play outside back. I'm not sure if I would make those changes, but Bradley may want more experienced players for a high pressure game.

Altidore - Davies
    Donovan - Bradley - Clark - Dempsey
    Bocanegra - Onweyu - DeMerrit - Spector
    Howard

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spector tried at LB, with Cherundolo playing RB. The CM position next to Bradley is going to be a fight between Jermaine Jones, Clark, Maurice Edu, and maybe Feilhaber.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Spector on the left, one of his biggest strengths is his versatility in defense so we may as well use it. And at least for Aug. 12th Clark is probably the clear choice since Jones and Edu are both injured and we'll need a better defensive presence than Feilhaber brings. With everybody available it be tough for anybody to nail down that spot.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

U.S. dudes, what did you all think about Gooch letting América's Esqueda scoring on him and letting Milito run circles around him? I know that wasn't 100% Onyewu, but... c'mon... he needs to step it up for the qualifiers or the Milan games... that didn't help him much. :(
    That sounds about right. I know for a fact they will bring back Blanco again. I don't know about Franco starting again. I think it will be a 4-4-2, with an additional midfielder in Blanco or Pardo playing alongside Torrado, if they all keep playing as well as they have this summer. In Azteca, I know the crowd will be there if Blanco, Castro and Pardo are there... mostly 'cuz of Club América fans. :D

I personally don't want to see Márquez in there again... just 'cuz of what Aguirre has been saying about negative peeps. I keep stressing how Aguirre doesn't give a darn about how good they are. :eek:

8. ipaman

ipaman Member

if it is not franco, it will have to be sabah. we need a true 9 and bravo's frame is too small to exectute. vela is not a true 9.

i am okay with 442 only with 1 DM. I do not support 2 contenciones when playing at home. hugo and sven used doble contencion and i could not stand that strategy. during gold cup we have be primarly using 433 or 541 with good success. 433 and 451 lets players like gio and vela thrive.

negative attitudes aside, we need our best talent for the 12th. marquez if healthy and back on form has to be starting. after qualification he can clean out the trash.

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Member

He's getting used to playing with a GK who isn't that good. Give him time. There's no way the GK shouldn't get that Esqueda ball and no way he should have gotten beaten near post.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ Well IF he doesn't raise that level, it's gonna be a free-for-all shooting frenzy for us come August 12th. :eek:

iapaman, here are more words about "the right players" or "the right attitude" from Javier Aguirre.... from Goal.com:
    Players May Change For Aug. 12, But Mexico's Attitude Remains
    Another thing that may have helped us was that I like how everyone is saying this was the U.S.'s "B" team, but the same people don't want to see it was also Mexico's "B" team. Nonetheless, I am excited about 8/12/2009.

Y'all know what's another thing that I've been thinking...? For many of the Mexican players on the field on Sunday, it was their FIRST game against the United States. For many of them, there weren't any ghosts. I am willing to bet that only Torrado had played in losses against USA, and maybe Magallón, but this latter one had scored TWICE on the USA already that I know of. :cool:

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Seriously??? You do realize playing for your national team and playing for your club team are two different things and situations? Not like his level 'was' bad in the WFC but with his national team he'll have the comfort of playing with a back 4 he's familiar with and an actual world class keeper, unlike in the WFC with a changing back 4 and 2 joke keepers- Storari and Kalac.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I don't think you understand the circumstances or the situation bruv.
    The posters raving about beating Spain had just cause to do so as their 1st team beat a Spanish 1st team in the tournament. It has nothing to do with whether the players cared about this tournament(They're pro's, I know they cared about it). The reason most aren't giving credit where it's due is that a US B/C team much like in the Copa America lost to what would constitute as a Mexican A/B team.

Nonetheless, Vela, Dos Santos etc put on a clinic in the 2nd half and the US back 4 was beyond pathetic. Good result by Mexico(Unfortunately Sven didn't stick around to coach the team through next mths qualifier in the Azteca :mad: ) but good to see Aguirre motivate his players and get them revved up for the stretch run of WC qualifying. Just don't put too much stock in this match.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Member

I just like how Mexico wins their first game against us in a while and Swoly acts like they own us again.

14. leroy

leroy Member

You're trying to be logical with someone who fails to use any logic whatsoever. It's a lost cause. Onyewu, even though he never had a chance to even practice with his new team prior to playing with AC Milan in this tournament, is clearly on the downside of his career because someone scored while he was on the field. It's all over for Gooch. He should retire now.

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

QFT.