1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 1, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

More summer football to watch for all you footballers and fans :cool:. The regional bi-annual competition CONCACAF GOLD CUP 2009 kicks off this Friday, July, 3rd.

Since its naming of "Gold Cup", USA and MEX have 4 trophies apiece. USA has won the last 2 in a row. There was some kind of glitch in the Matrix and Canada won it in 2000 (YES, CANADA, effers).

All games televised on UNIVISION's networks and Fox Soccer Channel. I thought ESPN would show all games? From WikiPedia: In the United States English language coverage of games involving the USA, as well as one game from each round of the knockout stages even if the USA is not involved, will be on Fox Soccer Channel. All tournament games will receive Spanish language coverage split between Galavision, TeleFutura, and Univision.

Official Gold Cup Web Site: http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/goldcup/2009/

First Round
    Friday, July 3 – Los Angeles (The Home Depot Center)
    Canada vs. Jamaica, 5 p.m. (8 p.m. EDT)
    Costa Rica vs. El Salvador, 7 p.m. (10 p.m. EDT)

Saturday, July 4 – Seattle (Qwest Field)
    Honduras vs. Haiti, 4 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)
    Grenada vs. USA, 6 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

Sunday, July 5 – San Francisco (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)
    Panama vs. Guadeloupe, 2 p.m. (5 p.m. EDT)
    Nicaragua vs. Mexico, 4 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)

Tuesday, July 7 – Columbus, Ohio (Crew Stadium)
    Jamaica vs. Costa Rica, 7 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)
    El Salvador vs. Canada, 9 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

Wednesday, July 8 – Washington (Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium)
    Haiti vs. Grenada, 7 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)
    USA vs. Honduras, 9 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

Thursday, July 9 – Houston (Reliant Stadium)
    Guadeloupe vs. Nicaragua, 7 p.m. (8 p.m. EDT)
    Mexico vs. Panama, 9 p.m. (10 p.m. EDT)

Friday, July 10 – Miami (Florida International University Stadium)
    Costa Rica vs. Canada, 7 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)
    El Salvador vs. Jamaica, 9 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

Saturday, July 11 – Boston (Gillette Stadium)
    USA vs. Haiti, 7 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)
    Honduras vs. Grenada, 9 p.m. (9 p.m. EDT)

Sunday, July 12 – Phoenix (University of Phoenix Stadium)
    Panama vs. Nicaragua, 2 p.m. (5 p.m. EDT)
    Mexico vs. Guadeloupe, 4 p.m. (7 p.m. EDT)

USA Given Seven Further Roster Spots For Gold Cup:
    Mexico's Javier Aguirre talks about Edgar Castillo wanting to play for the U.S. (rough translation):
    ^^ The truth is that he was given a chance to play, got into personal problems, but no one will talk about it on camera or newspapers.

Mexico's call-up is listed for the friendlies against Venezuela, Guatemala, and Gold Cup . No Blanco, no Europeans (thank goodness), but... :( We're gonna get killed.

Good luck to all... I know we have some Clutchfans from at least 5 countries playing. :eek: Happy Fourth of July!

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is America Swoly, Its Soccer, or Futbol... but sure as **** isn't football.

:eek: :p :mad: :) :cool: ;) :D :(

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

phonetics yo
    football = futbol

4. updawg

updawg Member

will the fans have horns?

5. SwoLy-D

This is the Internet, moes, and last I checked, there are INTERNATIONAL peeps in here:
    F_CK YOU AND YOUR "sure as ASTERISKS" crap. :p
    ;)

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I like the horns.

Besides, its summertime... people suppose to be horny!

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

G-d I hope not. That sound makes me sleepy.

Not too sure what to expect from the US in this one. Shouldn't have any trouble getting through the first round playing the likes of Haiti and Grenanda. Honduras will be a bit more difficult. Hopefully, Stuart Holden gets the opportunity to start at central mid. They have Freddy Adu listed as a forward, but I'm guessing he'll play a similar role like Dempsey and Donovan did last week.

Most importantly, I want Holden and Ching (and Pat Onstad with Canada) to make it through unscathed.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AND I WON'T FORGOT THE MEN WHO DIED SO I CAN CALL A GAME WHERE YOU USE YOUR FOOT ONLY IN SPECIAL OCCASIONS FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLL

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Pat didn't get called up for Canada, Andre Hinault did though.

10. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Looking forward to see Adu and Davies (as well as Holden and Ching from our Dynamo). How is Mexico looking? I no longer live with my old Mexican roommates to keep me up on their team.

11. SwoLy-D

Aguirre has stated recently that he's not calling many European Club players because they get to the team with negative attitudes and disrupt the chemistry when they get here late. Still, he continues to call dudes WITHOUT clubs like Omar Bravo and blaming it on lack of diverse players in the FMF.

The only one, I believe, he wants from Europe to help Mexico in the qualifiers is defender Rafael Marquez. I personally don't want him anymore. Too much of a hot-headed player. :eek:

12. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I still don't understand why CONCACAF insists on having the Gold Cup every 2 years.

13. leroy

Ah...good news. I want to go out and see the reserves tonight here in Austin against the Aztex in a US Open Cup game. But at $20 a seat, I don't think I'm going to make it. Not for a B team game in a high school stadium that doesn't serve beer.

14. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

I thought i read that Carlos Vela and Giovani Dos Santos where on this gold cup team.....for mexico...

15. DrLudicrous

Money.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Neither can I. It's so silly but I guess Jack Warner and Sunil need to keep their pockets full. Can't let Don Garber have all the fun with Mexico friendlies in the US.

17. SwoLy-D

Latest "rankings" are out. Shuffling superpowers at the top 5 and U.S. moves up 4 spots. Imagine if the U.S. would have tied or beat Italy or Brazil... they would have definitely been in the top 5, methinks.

CONCACAF
    12 USA :eek:
    30 CRC :eek:
    33 MEX :(
    39 HON
    69 PAN
    90 SLV
    93 CAN

18. DrLudicrous

The additional 7 US players have been announced. They won't be used for all games and will only be with the team for certain games. I'm guessing they'll be brought in for the elimination games.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/07/usa_gold_cup_additions.html

19. leroy

Why not Torres? If any one needs to get extended time, it's him. I'd love to see Torres and Holden in the middle.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I really don't see why Mexico is ranked ahead of Honduras. If I was from Honduras I would be pissed.