1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Food) What cuisine doesn't work for you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheJuice, Jul 2, 2022.

1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fast food. It all tastes bad and makes me feel worse.

Except Chick-fil-A. That's delicious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Sushi. I love seafood never had a taste for sushi. I like my food hot. If I'm at a sushi place with friends and we're ordering plates for the table I make sure to get some hot plates ordered.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Thai. All my family loves it. Everyone of them except me, not sure why but I am repulsed by it

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've posted before but I think it's super interesting, and relevant given how many people are coming out against Thai food:

Essentially "Thai Food" as a monolithic entity is a result of marketing work by the Thai government after WWII, and there are a disproportionate number of Thai restaurants relative to Thai people, because the Thai government has a program set up to make it super easy to open a Thai restraint, almost like a very loose "franchise" arrangement.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culinary_diplomacy

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had Rijstaffel and it is the Colonial adaption of Indoneisan Nasi Padang.

I don't hate it but usually not my first choice is British food or food of the British Isles. For as much as I love Ireland I didn't have a good meal there. One interesting I heard in Singapore from Brits is that the British food in Singapore is better than what they get at home. Even stuff like bangers and mash and English Breakfast. It's amazing what actually seasoning your food does.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes there is a lot of regional variety of Thai food too. There is a lot of US Thai food that I don't like but I had some of the best food in my life from Thai street vendors.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jello salad has been around for decades, but was more popular decades ago, I think. I've seen some hideous-looking jello salads. I mean... you look at it and have reservations about eating it. lol.

The tater tot hotdish looks basically like a tater tot casserole from the looks of it. Looks like just another name for it. Those things are definitely popular in the South. And just to piss people off, I still say tater tots > fries.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

a badly cooked egg

I went to this breakfast spot for the 1st time and ordered some scrambled eggs…the eggs came out cold and had a crusty texture to them…I wouldn’t even give them to my dogs because it would be too disrespectful

not a food, but I hate coffee…but for some reason, I like tiramisu

when it comes to fruits, grape fruit is an absolute hell no for me

anchovies ruin a pizza…it’s like an explosion of salt in your mouth

baklavas are trash

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes Tater tot Hot Dish is pretty much the same thing as Tater Tot Casserole. Hot dish though is the Minnesota term and they insist it’s not the same thing.

12. Buck Turgidson

anchovie, mashed up, cooked into a red sauce is the best way I've found to use them. 1 or so adds some good umami funk to your sauce, trust me.

13. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Ooooh nice! We are headed that way in a few weeks and I was worried we might get tired of the food in that region. Are there any places you really like (we are pescatarian, so that sometimes impacts things)?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The 1st link has a good description of the different types of Dutch/Indonesian cuisine (and if you dig around, they have descriptions of Dutch cuisine in general):

https://www.expatica.com/nl/lifestyle/food-drink/dutch-indonesian-food-505212/

This is a really good listing of 12 Dutch-Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam where you can get a
    Rijsttafel for a variety of prices, as well as find the other dishes. The second link gives you options for a variety of eateries in the city at every price point.

https://www.amsterdamfoodie.nl/amsterdam-food-guide/indonesian-restaurants-in-amsterdam-rijsttafel/
    https://www.amsterdamfoodie.nl/recommendations/

JUN Indonesian Cuisine is very good, as is Kartika, but check out the links. We haven't been to the Netherlands in 5 years, the pandemic ruining two different trips we had planned. My significant other has a lot of relatives there.

A tip - every decade the country has a huge Tulip Festival outside of Amsterdam and for the next few months this is that year. We first went to one in 1982, didn't even know it was happening when we left on a 4 month trip, and sort of fell into it. It was pretty amazing, more tulips in more colors than you can imagine, but it's evolved into something that today is a vastly bigger deal (not sure if that's a plus or a minus!). We intended to go this year, but won't make it. Bummer!

#54 Deckard, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Dream Sequence and TheJuice like this.