1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(Food) What cuisine doesn't work for you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheJuice, Jul 2, 2022.

1. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

For me, it's thai food. I'll eat it begrudgingly if I'm with a group, but I'm never fully satisfied no matter how many different dishes I try. I had it for the first time in a few years last night, and while it wasn't bad, I wasn't crazy about it. I think it's a mix of sweet, spicy, and savory for me, even though I love other food from the region like pho or banh mi.

I have a friend who's a lifelong vegetarian. Surprisingly, he can't stand Indian food. Despite the rest of us loving it, he won't eat it. Same thing with a girl I used to date from New Brunswick (an area with a huge Indian population). I also dated a Jewish-Russian girl who would not eat fish.

I'm curious to see if there's anything that just doesn't work for you. Less specific meals, but more cuisine as a whole.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mediterranean food, specifically Greek. It's light and refreshing, but damn is it bland. Yogurt, olive oil and onion. Meh....

Two Sandwiches and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Thai food sucks.

A lot of Western European food is meh.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Same here. I need spice.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Same here, assuming by "spicy" you mean "heat". This is me with about any food, but I do make exceptions. Like I'll eat some TexMex even though I don't really think it's all that. Mediterranean is weird to me because I like it even though most of the other stuff I eat is spicy. But when I eat stuff like moussaka, I always find myself saying "boy, if this had some heat to it, it would be great".

For me, the 2 or 3 times I tried sushi, I always leave saying "I don't get it". It's not repulsive or anything, and I don't hate it, but more like "whatever" to me.

Andre0087 and CCorn like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love Thai food, but to me, it always seems kind of like Indian food with some sweetness thrown in. I would rather have Indian food, but Thai is cool. I love Thai, Indian, Jamaican, Sichuan, Casian/Viet Cajun, etc. foods... bring the heat and flavor.

TheJuice likes this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

8. Buck Turgidson

Damn, and here this whole time I've been thinking yall were men of wealth and taste. It's ok to be wrong though. Brutally, painfully, completely wrong.

The correct answer is Scandinavian food. Worthless stuff.

9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

What is Scandinavian food? Just herring?

10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Also German food is massively underrated

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Bland creamy crap, usually with dill thrown in. Lemon is considered a strong spice.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Bleah. Thats probably where the English/Irish picked it up from.

I remember ordering "chips" (fries) in Ireland and them being super thick cut with no seasoning. I had a friend flying from the US bring me Old Bay seasoning so I could put it on my takeaway

13. Buck Turgidson

British style salt and vinegar fries are pretty damn tasty.

But yeah, I prefer "More Spice" or "Bold" Tony Chachere's myself.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I love Thai food, and Indian food…gotta make it spicy too so all those flavors doing Bruce Lee kicks in my mouth

that butter chicken is calling my name…might need to hit up Aga’s restaurant

Nigerian or African food: I love me some jollof rice and plantain

when it comes to Mediterranean food, I like kabobs, but that’s about it…All that other stuff like hummus and cold quinoa salads?

[​IMG]

not a big Texmex guy or soup guy

get that mushroom soup outta my face

15. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

My mom/grandma make this god awful chicken with cream of mushroom soup as "gravy". Awful stuff.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL…I tried to go against the grain and try this mushroom soup a few weeks ago, and it was instant regret after the 1st bite

TheJuice likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think I've ever had anything Scandinavian, but I'd probably try it. But I have to admit everything I've seen makes me think there's not a chance in hell I'd enjoy it. Most of the stuff looks like food that's been left outside to cook using daylight alone. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. *shrug* It's even sadder because I love seafood. But when you start seeing stuff like lutefisk and surstromming, you start to hope there are alternatives. :D

Sounds like the old "I ain't got time to really cook anything fancy" cream of mushroom chicken. I actually bought some cream of mushroom soup to try and make it one day, but still haven't. lol.

Buck Turgidson and TheJuice like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is starting to turn into a "what foods do you like" thread instead, but .... jollof rice is pretty good. I swear every culture around the equator bangs out some kind of great plantain recipe whether it's as a main course, dessert, or as a snack. lol.

Reeko likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just looked up Scandinavian food because I’m not sure what qualifies under that category, and based off what I’m seeing so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that does not look exciting or appealing

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

can never go wrong with some plantain

for more foods I don’t like: sushi, and when I’ve been to the UK, English cuisine can be pretty bland and boring