1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOOD] - Houston BAKERY Suggestions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ollie, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Ollie

Ollie Member

In the spirit of all the previous food recommendation threads, I have yet another request for all you Clutch BBS'ers:

I want to get some pies and/or cakes for my family's Thanksgiving meal. Can anyone recommend a local bakery? I live on the NW side of Houston (290 & BW8) but am willing to travel a reasonable distance, so don't leave out any place you might recommend thinking it would be too far. Hopefully other BBS'er will find this thread useful as well, so let's not limit this to the NW quadrant of Houston.

Tops on my list is getting an excellent pecan pie. Next on my list is that I'd like to support an small business, and not a chain. Other than that, I'm open to pretty much anything.

To start off, I've already crossed of Sam's Club from my list (The last pecan pie I had there was groos IMO). I'm not sure if I should even consider other grocery store bakeries. Although they are cheaper, I'm willing to pay more for this occasion for some higher quality.

Also, I know that Empire Cafe has great cakes, but I have never gotten a pie there and really don't know if they make pies. They have 1/2 price cake (slices at least) on Mondays, but I doubt they would sell whole cakes at 1/2 price. Besides, 3 day old cake doesn't sound so appealing.

Thanks in advance to everyone who adds their opinions to this thread!

2. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I don't how much of a chain Goode Company is, but I'm pickin' up one of the best pecan pies I've ever had on Tuesday.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hey neighbor!

um. there might be a place in oak forest that does pie if i recall. that's a bit of a drive though.

4. Ollie

Ollie Member

Goode company definitely does not equal chain in my book. I guess I should have said LOCAL instead of familiy...I just don't want some "cookie cutter" mass produced PIEce of cr*p that you pick up onthe way to a party at a typical neighborhood grcoery store bakery.

B4L- If you don't mind can you tell me (us) how much you paid and if you have to order ahead.

Thanks for your input and for reminding me that Goode Co. carries excellent desserts! I guess with my brain in Honeybaked Ham and WHOLE turkey (GOode Co. has great sliced turkey) mode, I totally blanked with Goode Co.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread, but does anybody know of any bakeries in Houston with good muffins.

I own a few coffee shops and am looking for a new bakery to provide us with muffins. Used to get em from HEB but switched over to Central Market. It has been a total disaster. Central Market muffins taste like crap! :( Should have gone with Whole Foods, but....

6. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I called them today and they said they'd have a tent set out on Tuesday to take drive thru orders. If you want to pick it up in Houston (on Kirby is the place I believe) they have it listed on their menu as $13.95. I assume if you show up you'll be dropping $14.00 on the whole pie.
    http://www.goodecompany.com/pdf/BBQ-ToGO.pdf

Online they list the pie as costing $27.00 if you want to have it shipped somewhere. That price also includes the nice box it comes in.
    http://www.goodecompany.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

7. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

La Madeline's in the Village has really good pastries.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If it is the same company that I am thinking of..........their products are excellent.

They also sold at wholesale and used to have a driver make stops at hotels and other businesses overnight. That was 5 - 6 years ago and their business model might have changed since then. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Will definitely go check them out on Monday.

Anybody eaten any muffins from Central Market though? They use the best ingredients, but their muffins are ridicoulously dry.

Perfect for me would be Whole Foods. But that cant happen because the bakery manager at CM and WF are best freakin friends and the CM guy wont allow it to happen. :(

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

11. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

These guys are a local legend and fit your requirements. The lines are long at Thanksgiving, so plan ahead. I do get my pecan pies from Jim Goode though.

From the Houston Press Best of Houston 2003:

2003: Dishes & Drinks

Best Pie
    Flying Saucer Pie Company

436 W. Crosstimbers, 713-694-1141, www.flyingsaucerpiesho p.com

Reader Choice:

A long, long time ago, Publius Syrus said that to do two things at once is to do neither. Sorry, Pub, but having visited the Flying Saucer Pie Company, we strongly disagree. Since 1967, co-owners Bill Leeson and Marilyn Smith have been doing at least a dozen things at once, each one of them brilliantly. Cherry, coconut cream, pecan, fresh strawberry cream, pumpkin, key lime, chocolate cream...Maybe their loophole is that they do pies and pies alone -- no sandwiches, no tables, no drinks. No matter. On Tuesday through Saturday mornings at 8 a.m., Flying Saucer's legions of loyal customers line up at the modest Garden Oaks-area store to get a whiff of the tantalizing aroma of baking and take home a perfect pie (or two) straight from the oven.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

For pies, House of Pies, for cakes, try Dessert Gallery.

13. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Flying Saucer Pie Company is great.

14. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Flying Saucer is great..picked up a Dutch Apple and Peach just this past week.....AWESOME!...the Key lime is good too. Can't vouch for Pecan though, never had it there.

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

The best pecan pie I have ever eaten is from Treebeards on Travis near Congress across from Market Square park.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

mmm...pie

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Pipe nailed it. Flying Saucer makes the best pies in the city.

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

My vote goes to Flying Saucer Pie Company too.

I love that place

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my favorite bakery is Moeller's...not sure if they do pecan pies or not.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My wife runs a cake business, so you may want to check the link in my sig for cakes. Pie isn't her core business. Maybe she'd make some anyway, and it'd be better than anything you get at Flying Saucer (I see everyone recommends it, but their pie tasted terrible to me -- well, not terrible, but not good).

Btw, she could do good muffins too, if you wanted to work with her. Everything she does is top-notch ingredients, traditional methods, etc.