1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Food Fail] Year-Old Happy Meal Still Not Spoiled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Dr. David Kessler... if you create a food that not even bacteria wants to eat, then you probably shouldn't eat it, either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...eeps-McDonalds-Happy-Meal-year--gone-off.html

[​IMG]

Glancing at the two McDonald's Happy Meals pictured here, you may feel they look pretty much identical.

Astonishingly, however, this is the same meal, photographed 12 months apart.

Where any other food might be a mouldy, decomposing mess after a year, the McDonald's meal shows few signs of going off apart from the beef patty shrivelling and the stale burger bun cracking.

I had the windows open many times, but flies and other insects just ignored the Happy Meal. What does that tell you, if they can't be bothered with it?

Proof, says the American nutritionist who took these photographs, that it contains so many preservatives that it is bad for the children it is aimed at.

Joann Bruso said: 'Food is supposed to decompose, go bad and smell foul eventually. The fact that it has not decomposed shows you how unhealthy it is for children.'

Mrs Bruso left the Happy Meal uncovered on a shelf at her home near Denver, Colorado, to see what would happen. She has revealed the results on her blog, in which she gives healthy eating advice to parents.

The 62-year-old, who has eight grandchildren, admitted that the arid temperature of her home near the Rocky Mountains meant there was little moisture in the air with which to speed decomposition.
    joann bruso

But she added that during the year-long experiment, no flies or other insects were attracted to the food.

She said: 'I had the windows open many times, but flies and other insects just ignored the Happy Meal. What does that tell you, if they can't be bothered with it?

'Food is broken down into its essential nutrients in our bodies and turned into fuel. Our children grow strong bodies when they eat real food.

'If flies ignore a Happy Meal and microbes don't decompose it, then your child's body can't properly metabolise it either.

'Now you know why it's called junk food.'

McDonald's has made great efforts to show that its food is healthy amid growing concerns about childhood obesity. All its restaurants list the calories in each item as well as the individual ingredients.

Recent research showed that each product has an average of seven E numbers. The bun has several preservatives such as calcium and sodium propionate, while the pickle slice has the preservative sodium benzoate.

The fries, which Mrs Bruso said were still golden brown after a year, contain preservatives such as citric acid and sodium acid pyrophosphate, which maintains their colour.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Does that table have the digestive powers of my stomach? Nope.

What's scary though is the second picture actually looks more like a burger and on sight I'd probably pick the 2nd one to eat. Mcdonald's is disgusting anyways, just don't scare me with a whataburger experiment.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hell, I grew up eating McDonalds. There weren't so many fast food places around back then...when Clear Lake was newer in Houston back when only few subdivisions existed...like Oakbrook. We used to drive from Oakbrook to the Nasa Road One location (yes...near Johnson Space Center; wonder if location is still there?) just to get McDonalds. The Hamburglar was the man back in the day in the 70s. According to the stories I'm told from back then in my pre-teens (of which I don't recall...probably because they were like twice a week), my bro says I used to beg him to take me to McDonalds. I know some buds on this forum and we used to stop at McDonalds on 61st street every time we went surfing in Galveston. That was a given...and so were the McDonalds farts on the way home that almost cause an accident quite a few times (and it was always the same culprit (Jim)).

I guess what I'm getting at is...I'm still preserved and my cholesterol is within the limits. Unbelievable. Not sure what my arteries look like, though. Probably like a hollowed out McDonalds french fry. I do admit...I still eat that crap occassionally.

Hand me that f-ing thing. I'll eat it. ;)

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

mmm. i'm lovin' it

5. Poloshirtbandit

I haven't eaten McDonald's in almost 20 years. That might be one of the greatest accomplishments of my life.

6. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

People might still consider themselves "in shape" or relatively skinny, but if you eat McDonalds on a regular basis I would bet on you having a pretty crappy life quality of life after the age of 50.

I will admit though that I eat this garbage about once a month when I am in a hurry.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It's been almost ten years for me. No way I'll even consider eating there again, let alone take my son when he's old enough.

8. Southern Select

Hating McDonalds, such an original thing to do. I'm very impressed. Congratulations on your independent thinking. Yall are all truly one of a kind.

Luckily I grew up in a time when people just lived life and didn't obsess over what others ate. I'm also hoping I will die before the food police kick in at full force, punishing people for lifestyle choices that go against the will of the great society. If I'm luckier I will take a few of them out somehow before I go. The thought of deep-fried progressives makes me hungry, real hungry.

Yall can suck my happy meal, hippie-fascist mofos.

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I call BS. I might try a little experiment of my own. The is worthy of a lawsuit by McDonalds.

10. mic

mic Contributing Member

Honestly, McD's is probably my least favorite fast food place. It's just not very appetizing.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

hey look! a clown!

the circus must be in town!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8vINCq_IAI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8vINCq_IAI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Really? Really?

You should just stop posting

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I have not eaten at a mcdonalds in the US in probably over 10 years. I still eay it in europe occasionally when I am in a place with bad food. The mcdonalds are also much better over there, although it not much of an accomplishment

14. YourSecretLover

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IGtDPG4UfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IGtDPG4UfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

I don't give a damn what ya'll say; I love my Micky Ds. :grin:

Whataburger and Jack in the Box are amazing too.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed. Something doesn't add up here. Where did it spend the year, in a freezer? For that matter, what proof do we have that this is the same Happy Meal? Not saying it isn't true, just that I'm skeptical.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Is it just me, or is that lady still a little hefty for being a diet adviser?

Also, isn't part of the reason a french fry looks better than a raw potato slice because it's been cooked?

I don't know, it just seems normal that something that's been cooked won't look as gross as a raw product.

#18 SirCharlesFan, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  19. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Micky D's of today is not the same from 20 years ago when some of us were kids. I'm sure the recipe and ingredients are alot more standardized and artificial today.

Anyone who thinks this is no big deal is crazy. If nature cannot decompose this Happy Meal, what makes you think that your body can break it down? You might as well be eating plastic.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]