1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Food Banks/Charities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K LoLo, Aug 25, 2010.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm involved in a group who puts on car shows throughout the Houston area. We've had a tour in Houston that has done well, and our tour finale/championship is on November 14th. Being that it is right around Thanksgiving, we wanted to try and give back to the community.

We're going to be taking a portion of our proceeds and donating it directly to a foodbank of some sort and/or buying canned goods/food ourselves and giving it to them directly.

We will also be holding a food drive during the show, but wanted to have a guaranteed portion of the proceeds go, so we know we'll have a good amount to donate.

My question is, are there any food banks or organizations that any of you know of who do a really good job of distributing the food to those who need it? I know the logical thing to do is just to get with the Houston Food Bank, but I was wondering if there were any smaller organizations that may be in more need. Not that the larger ones do not need help, but I feel like they always get the bulk of donations, so I just wanted to see if any other areas were in need of more help.

Does anyone know of any good organizations that will need additional help around that time?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

West Houston Assistance Ministries

My mother-in-law volunteers at the food pantry here. Really great organization, really great people. She has mentioned that they've been having shortages of food there.

1 person likes this.
  5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Al Amaanah (run mainly by UH students) assists refugees from all over the world who have been relocated to the Greater Houston Area. They provide all sorts of support services including food distribution.

http://www.alamaanah.com/index.php?page=support-services

iWish is an organization that feeds the homeless every month.
    http://www.iwish-houston.org/current projects

House of Amos is an organization that caters to a large group in SW Houston acting as an emergency food pantry.
    http://www.houseofamos.org/

6. Mattj

Mattj Member

http://www.humanneeds.org/

They do a fantastic job here on the SW side.

7. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I applaud your efforts. I wish everyone had a heart like yours.

I am not gay.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Appreciate the help. I'll go through these and try to pick one out.