1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili Peppers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope, and I've never seen them in concert. Lay it on me (or should I run away??) ;-)

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Absolutely correct.

Didn't know that about Jontro. Thought he was all about self love.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

RHCP. By The Way is also my fav album from them.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

RHCP for me. Prefer the less heavy, more funky sound, personally.

I've never seen them live, so i got tickets for their new tour now that John is back. Seeing them at SoFi in a few weeks

x3

By the Way is my favorite as well

dmoneybangbang and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Chickenfeet...or foot. ;)

7. Buck Turgidson

Grohl had written a bunch of songs that he wanted to do with Nirvana, then Kurt killed himself, so a bit later he just went in the studio and recorded them in a week, by himself, playing all the instruments. "Foo figher" is an old military term for UFO, nobody really knew it was his project. "Had I actually considered this to be a career, I probably would have called it something else, because it's the stupidest ****ing band name in the world." He handed out a bunch of demo tapes, and people liked it, so he had to make a band if he wanted to play stuff live.

Not a huge fan, but they put on a hell of a live show.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

RHCP

Full disclosure: I'm one of those annoying RHCP snobs who only likes their first 3 albums. Especially Freaky Styley when they were basically a funk band. Me and my (me and my me and my me any my me and my) friends were listening to them in high school before anyone else had ever heard of them. Saw them at the Music Hall downtown in maybe 87(?) and there were about 200 people there.

I like the Foos but I'm still pretty devastated about Taylor. I have a hard time listening to them now. Still makes me sad.

DFWRocket, RasaqBoi, jo mama and 2 others like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Don't ever apologize for being right.

ima_drummer2k and VooDooPope like this.
  10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Put me down for this response as well.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

hmm. i gotta respectfully disagree with you (but i think a case could be made for FF never evolving). BSSM was a pretty major shift from those first few albums and even the first album with fruscante (mothers milk) was a huge step forward from their previous. then one hot minute with navarro was different than anything else they had done before or since. i do agree that fruscante round 2 era is very homogeneous...they have a bunch of hits from that late 90's-2000's period that all kind of sound the same to me.

BSSM is bigger than anything FF ever did and RHCP were pretty f***ing huge for a bit there, but these days id probably rather see FF in concert than RHCP.

its hard to get beyond the fact that anthony committed statutory rape with a 14 year old girl and bragged about it in his book. i also dont like they way they brought fruscante back in the band for round 3. what they did to klinghoffer was pretty s**ty.

in an alternate universe somewhere is a thread "husker du or the big boys".

DFWRocket likes this.
  12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Husker Du. Played Green Eyes earlier today in the car.

I abstain on RHCP and FF as I’ve never been a big fan of either but both have put out some quality music

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

With you except on One Hot Minute. That’s the moment I stopped with them. That album was complete hot garbage.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does a band need to evolve?

IMO when they start trying to "evolve" they lose something or get away from what they are good at.

I am no great fan of either but I like more RHCP than Foo stuff and it's not particularly close.

This argument sounds a bit music snobbish.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Saw RHCP at SoFi last night. UNBELIEVABLE show. One of the best I’ve ever seen. Everything I wanted out of a Chili Peppers performance. Flea is a master entertainer, his energy was infectious with their home crowd. They gave John a lot of bad ass solos, all phenomenal. And when Anthony came out for the encore to sing Under the Bridge….in LA….it was absolutely nuts, crowd went wild.

BigM likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I never really understood the "evolve" angle, either. If a band has a sound that people like, why do they have to change?

Funny thing is that I feel like every Foo Fighters song sounds the same. RHCP wins by a longshot to me.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I was into the Foo for a period right through when they were doing that HBO documentary. I think I got over exposed and it feels like Grohl is everywhere. He seems like a nice dude and I’m pretty sure that’s genuine. Didn’t finish listing to their last album and really never in the mood to put their music on.

I like a few RHCP songs but they’ve never been a favorite.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FooF is generic adult contemporary alt rock.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Having some dynamism and range in the type music you create increases longevity IMO.

If the first album you put out sounds exactly like the last album you put out 20+ years ago, it's not hard to imagine that a lot of people would just plain get bored with your art.

RHCP is on the very very low end of in terms of that to me. It doesn't mean the music is bad necessarily, it just puts a hard cap on their appeal for me.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think the opposite. When a band changes their sound from what I originally liked them for, it alienates them to me. I dislike their new sound. I'll still listen to the old music I liked, but it makes me skeptical of anything new they release.

jiggyfly likes this.