1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foiled: Iranian plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 11, 2011.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

At first I thought it was a brlliant pr/propaganda stunt orchestrated by the Israelis or their neo-con buds, but it is getting so stupid. Now I think it was just a half-witted plan by a lone wolf idiot, egged on by the usual FBI folks. Then always wanting to score points against the Iranians, there was an inept attempt by some Administration folks to court some political favors with some campaign contributors that is sort of back firing.

Still in the end most Americans will just remember years from now those dastardly Iranian tried to kill the Saudi Ambassador on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC back in the 2010's.

2. glynch

Hopefully this is sarcasm?

3. glynch

Let me praise the forum. A lot of initial skepticism Certainly 9 or 10 years ago nearly everyone would have been total instant believers in the original mainstream media (much less Fox) story and would practically been running down to the military recruiters to go join up to invade Iran.

4. conquistador#11

and yet it was either trader jorge or basso that made a tribute thread to that awesome guy, Pinochet. I just remember because it was the first post I made in this forum. :p

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hardly a tribute.

and i think the poster is conflating actions of Pinochet w/ those of the East German Stasi.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Gotta keep the machine rolling. Nothing spurs the economy like a good war........I mean everyone complains about all the money we spend on a war, but we spend most of it here. And the bonus is you get to send lots of undesirables off to the front line.

(in before the "not sure if serious" pic)

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but a good war requires an army and a battlefield, we don't have either of those, nor are we threatened.

We need to pull back on military spending, IIRC, we spend 5 times more money per year on the military than the next 5 nations combined.

DD

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Shakia Dalmia at reason posted an excellent summary, that shows what a joke this plot was.

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

you were supposed to not be sure if I was serious.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RAZZA FRACKA RAZZA FRACKA......

DD

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

QFT. more like 'nearly everyone on this bbs'

It's funny after all that, we are left with basso.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://politics.salon.com/2011/10/12/the_very_scary_iranian_terror_plot/

Lots more in that article on Salon.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

15. justtxyank

I just shake my head personally. I keep thinking about all the "hope" about Obama and how he was going to be this transparent president who would restore the credibility of America abroad and would honor the Constitution much more than Bush ever did.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

people who keep making the comparisons to anwar al awlaki are just stupid. its just a stupid analogy that fails on mutiple fronts.

secondly anyone suggesting that obama wants a war with iran are equally silly

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

While the criticism and skepticism in the salon article and Dalmia's summar are more than healthy, while reading them I feel some of the hyperbole is a little too zealous.

Not knowing who contacted who, insinuating the guy wasn't dangerous enough for attention is a bit much. Using "jihad" to describe the war on terror is a bit sensationalist, imo, however potentially accurate. Pretending like "Hey, we should just be investigating/condemning Saudi Arabia, after all they were the ones from before..." isn't just a diversion of logic, but seems a bit disingenuously applied here, however appropriate those measures might be. Just a few things that make these seem nearly as sensational as what they are decrying.

That all being said, this whole thing definitely stinks. Too quick to pat ourselves on the back and use "news" tactics of trumping everything up to give it importance. And since those are the scenarios under which our rights as American citizens have been assaulted and government empowered since 2001, not at all surprising unfortunately. Makes you wonder what the actual end goal is like in the minds of those who are pushing things this way so deliberately.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the liberals on msnbc are pretty critical of obama on multiple issues.

19. justtxyank

I think you are missing the point of the limited comparison.

If you read the whole article it doesn't suggest Obama wants a war with Iran.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Let's melt those ****ers while we have a chance.