1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foiled: Iranian plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I too smell a rat. Just seems too amateurish for an Iranian special ops.

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

100% Agreed. It's just too convenient for everyone involved.

Saudi has long been claiming that Iran was fomenting civil unrest in their country, and Iran's been provoking Israeli ire for a long time as well with their antagonistic rhetoric. I have no doubt that Saudi Arabia's going to use this moment to crack down on their minority Shiite population and restrict the rights of Irani's in Saudi.

I'm holding off for the time being until more information comes out. The media is portraying this as some massive plot by the Irani government from the top down, and the rhetoric coming out is so strong that its weird-

Hillary Clinton: "We will be consulting with our friends and partners around the world about how we can send a very strong message that this kind of action, which violates international norms, must be ended"...later saying ""The idea that they would attempt to go to a Mexican drug cartel to solicit murder-for-hire to kill the Saudi ambassador, nobody could make that up, right?"

Joe Biden: "It is an outrageous act that the Iranians are going to have to be held accountable," Biden told ABC News' "Good Morning America". "This is really over the top." Later saying "Nothing is off the table"

Biden said the U.S. was in the process of "uniting world opinion" against Iran as it goes forward with a response.

Previous wikileaks reports the Saudi King: "The Saudi king was recorded as having "frequently exhorted the US to attack Iran to put an end to its nuclear weapons programme", one cable stated. "He told you [Americans] to cut off the head of the snake," the Saudi ambassador to Washington, Adel al-Jubeir said, according to a report on Abdullah's meeting with the US general David Petraeus in April 2008

The cables also highlight Israel's anxiety to preserve its regional nuclear monopoly, its readiness to go it alone against Iran – and its unstinting attempts to influence American policy. The defence minister, Ehud Barak, estimated in June 2009 that there was a window of "between six and 18 months from now in which stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons might still be viable". After that, Barak said, "any military solution would result in unacceptable collateral damage."

The leaked US cables also reveal that:

• Officials in Jordan and Bahrain have openly called for Iran's nuclear programme to be stopped by any means, including military.

• Leaders in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt referred to Iran as "evil", an "existential threat" and a power that "is going to take us to war".

• Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, warned in February that if diplomatic efforts failed, "we risk nuclear proliferation in the Middle East, war prompted by an Israeli strike, or both".

• Major General Amos Yadlin, Israeli's military intelligence chief, warned last year: "Israel is not in a position to underestimate Iran and be surprised like the US was on 11 September 2001."

State department cables: U.S. officials said the State Department had sent a cable to all American embassies and consulates around the world telling them to put the case against Iran before foreign authorities. The officials said the cable, sent late Tuesday by Deputy Secretary of State William Burns and classified "secret," tells diplomats to detail the evidence against Iran as presented by federal prosecutors.

President Barack Obama as "a flagrant violation of U.S. and international law."

What I see taking place right now is eerily familiar to the build up the Iraq War in 2003 and I fear that we're going to see a push for war in the very near future. Hostilities with foreign nations almost ensure re-election, and its just too conspicuous that suddenly we have this news story breaking and administration officials jumping into overdrive to address it.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sufism - what the middle east needs more of...

DD

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Dude, does saying the same thing twice in once thread somehow make a better argument? Why not Buddhism rather than Sufism, what is your obsession with Sufism?

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Because that is part of the Islamic tree, and probably be more acceptable than an entirely new branch of religion.

Sufism- FTW.

DD

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It might be an offshoot from the same tree, but it is completely different from the fundamentals of the original version. No Sunni or Shia is going to find converting to Sufism any different than going to Buddhism. There is a drastic difference. You might as well say, "Buddhism - FTW" (GTFU)

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I really dont know what this has to do with the thread topic....Maybe you can start a separate thread dedicated to why you feel it would benefit the middle east?

8. DaDakota

So you think it would be easier to convert that region and their beliefs to an all new religion instead of a more moderate version of the same one?

I would argue that converting people to something a little more familiar is easier than switching gears entirely.

It is what happened with Constantine and Christianity, they used a lot of local legends in their conversion to make the new religion seem more palatable.

Seems the same thing would apply here, no?

DD

9. DaDakota

I would if I could.

DD

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's a little ironic to act so offended that Iran would dare try to assassinate a Saudi official on our soil right after crowing about assassinating bin Laden and Awlaki on Pakistani and Yemeni soil.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem here is not enough Sufism.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You forget about the Iranian nuclear scientist whose car was blown up, I think that is a better example than Osama the terrorist and Awlaki the potential terrorist.

Read what Sufism is all about and then get back to me, its quite obvious you have no understanding about Sufism and its place within Islam.

13. DaDakota

Such a little nagger.

DD

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Coincidence that this plot that they knew about since June finally has action against it right after Holder is threatened with. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Relax, it was just a joke.

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

*Edit*

with subpoenas.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The plot makes no sense, none. The risks to Iran more than out weigh any reward. I can't even figure out what the reward was.
    Maybe, maybe General Muhammad Turgidson went off on his own but so far all you have is middlemen and $100,000.

And what fortuitous luck that out of all the criminals in Mexico, the contact was made with a confidential informant. The odds are slim that that happened randomly.

It smells like a set up. My offhand guess would be the Israeli secret service. But it's even too clumsy for them.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I like the fact it was stated by the white house that nothing is left off the table...They got caught, and now what? all it does is pull us more in line with our friends in Israel and their thinking ...(boo hoo far left)... I like the fact Obama has proven to be more a Truman than Carter on foreign issues of taking them out, but even I feel uncomfortable about the timing, plot, etc.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are you freakin kidding? i knew someone would stupidly bring FnF into this, boy it didn't take long.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow, event the liberals at msnbc don't think this story is made up. you guys need to back away from the internet for a while