1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[fml]Car Battery Terminal question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dntrwl, Jul 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Disclaimer: I don't know **** about cars.
    Having one hell of a time trying to figure out, I have no idea how to change out the terminals, as all of the online sources are the exact same thing for the exact different thing that I don't have. I drive a garbage 2004 chevy aveo.

I have these 2 universal terminals to replace with.
    [​IMG]

The negative side seems fairly simple, as most online instruction says clip at the end of the terminal and get some wire to put in the new terminal, I understand that, it looks simple.
    [​IMG]
    But the problem arrives here, with the terminal that really needs to be replaced;
    Wtf is the blue thing on the right? It's connected to the terminal through this metal piece, which is all pieced together, so I have no clue how my smaller universal terminals connect to both of these things. Do I just cut at the bottom where I circled it? That's probably a bad idea..I'm completely stumped on how to fix this..do I need to get another part?
    [​IMG]

I don't expect a real reply, but might as well as I'd rather see 1 real reply or 10 troll replies than spend money getting someone that knows what theyre doing over here

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Here's my suggestion...

First, take off this nut:

[​IMG]

Then, move the weird piece off to the side for a minute. Prepare the main cable to be clamped down with your new terminal.

Now, take this bolt out of your new terminal:

[​IMG]

And slide it through the hole where the nut/bolt from your old battery terminal used to be on that weird piece. Reassemble your new terminal with this bolt (and weird piece directly under the head of it), then clamp it down on the regular positive lead that you prepared earlier.

It might look a little weird when it's all said and done, and it will be a little tricky lining up the three parts involved...but it'll work so long as you positioned the weird piece in a way that it makes good contact with the top of the new terminal assembly.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I'll give it a try, thanks!