1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Florida Today]: Rockets chasing Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roswell raygun, Jul 11, 2006.

1. roswell raygun

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060711/SPORTS/607110331/1002

Magic's Ariza draws interest from several other NBA teams

BY JOHN DENTON
    FLORIDA TODAY

MAITLAND -- Already locked in a heated free-agent contract battle with DeShawn Stevenson, the Orlando Magic could be headed toward another contentious negotiation with small forward Trevor Ariza.
    Ariza, a 6-foot-8, 200-pound small forward, is garnering what his agent calls "substantial interest" from several NBA teams, making his return to the Magic anything but a guarantee.
    Since Ariza is a restricted free agent, Orlando has the right to match any offer he receives. But Magic general manager Otis Smith continues to insist that he isn't about to overpay.
    The Magic acquired Ariza, 21, in February from the New York Knicks in the Steve Francis trade. In 21 games with the Magic, he made quite an impression, showing flashes of star potential at times. He averaged 4.7 points and 3.9 rebounds with Orlando, hitting double-digits in scoring four times.
    His play apparently didn't go unnoticed around the NBA. Ariza's agent, David Lee, said Denver, Houston, Sacramento and New York have expressed interest in offering Ariza a contract. Knicks general manager/coach Isiah Thomas also is a big fan and inquired Monday about Ariza's availability, Lee said.
    Teams and players can't officially sign deals until Wednesday. If Ariza signs an offer sheet with a team, Orlando would have 10 days to match the offer or allow him to leave.
    Lee said he hopes it doesn't come to that because Ariza wants to return to Orlando. Ariza, who played for the NBA minimum last season, likely is seeking a deal worth more than $3 million a season. Stevenson is asking for a deal in excess of $4.5 million a season for five years.
    "Otis and I have had a number of conversations, and he's aware of the substantive interest in Trevor," Lee said. "We hope that we can do this without pushing the envelope."
    Lee said Ariza has been working out twice a day for the past two months, claiming the 200-pound small forward has added nine pounds of muscle. He also has worked hard to shore up his one glaring weakness -- his wayward jump shot.
    Said Lee: "He's a jump shot away from being an All-Star."

Could Ariza be part of Plan B? I liked him as a rookie with the Knicks, although his .412 shooting percentage last season makes me nervous, as does his agent's final comment.
    Many players are "a jump shot away from being an All-Star." Keith Bogans, for instance.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

He is a former Knicks, but he is not old.

pass.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Actually, it would be a 2-for-1. We get a formet Knick AND a former Magic. I hope we are offering our full MLE to him. We can't afford to pass on a deal like this.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Knicks general manager/coach Isiah Thomas also is a big fan and inquired Monday about Ariza's availability, Lee said.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

is there a player in the league that Zeke is not interested in ???

5. docgundy

docgundy Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that we're "chasing him".

6. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Trevor Ariza is a "jumper" away from being a star in this league. The kid can play. He's a 2/3 and can play both positions easily.

7. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Member

So where would he play? I thought we were OK at those positions?

8. rserina

rserina Member

I like Ariza and think he fits with what Van Gundy wants, but he brings very little in the way of shooting, while he is fundamentally a three and we have plenty of guys there right now. It seems like a longer two would would be a better fit than Ariza, but those are hard to come by this year.

9. docgundy

docgundy Member

We need a 2 just in case we don't get Mike James.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

I’m glad the Rockets are not completely oblivious to the fact that they still have not addressed the lack of a tall shooting guard with youth and athleticism that has plagued them the past several seasons. If they find a way to add Ariza and Marcus Banks with the MLE this offseason, I will be extremely pleased.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Yeah, let's throw the full MLE at a career backup who can't shoot.

12. italian rocket

Sound reasonable as a plan B but even though i like this kid very much the whole mle seems a bit too much.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Think Diaw-breakout possibilites (maybe that's going a little too far). But seriously, he is a nice young player with a great work ethic and vesitile, natural ability. He's an excellent defender (averages about 1 steal every 17 minutes) and can play the 2/3.

I'd love to get him, but I'd feel a lot better about offering him good money if we had our bonified 3rd scoring threat.

If we can pull off the Mike James deal, this is the guy we should be giving a chunk of our MLE to.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's asking for $3 million.

I like Ariza, and he'd be a good wing. Good athlete, good size. No range, but if we can't get James, I'd rather settle on Ariza than Flip Murray.

Evan

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets were able to get Mike James with either the MLE or the TE and then used which other of those methods that wasn't used to get James and to get Ariza, then I think that would be a solid move.

Any quickness/youth we might have lost in dealing away Swift we could get back with Ariza. Ariza is exactly the kind of "combo-forward" today's NBA teams are starting to use.

Of course, from the JVG standpoint, would he even play him? But if I am CD/Morey I would get him, as he is a low risk/high reward type of young player the team should take a flyer on if it has the means to do so.

16. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

If we get Mike James, we would be more than likely have to toss one of the TE's at Orlando to get Trevor, and it would be a good deal Trevor would be a nice complimentary player next to Yao and Tracy

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He probably sucks...

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Isn't Bogans a 2/3 without a shot?

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Thank you. ...and Bogans plays good D. I don't know about Ariza's D.

20. sparkycollier

sparkycollier Contributing Member

The "moneyball" speaks...

http://www.82games.com/rosenbaum3.htm

Battier ranked #1 defense for Small Forwards, Ariza is ranked 4th.

Marcus Banks ranked 2nd, so I'm sure we'll throw him some cash if MJ goes to Dallas (or if we get him in a SnT).

Other notables... Demarr Johnson (#6 SG)... Cato (#9 for centers... *cough*) and our man Deke # 2.

Also, Chandler's #6 rank underscores my belief that Chicago gave him away.