1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

florida today: McGrady, Shaq going to Mavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by big11, Jun 19, 2004.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Very possible.

But this cannot happen. If Shaq and T-Mac both get to Dallas somehow, I am going to puke. I think we would have to sign Kobe then.

:D

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I think if Cuban was very serious about this...it could happen. And they can trade all of their players and keep Dirk and still have a damn good team

Shaq+TMac +Dirk + scrubs= a lot better than most teams can put together.

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

Jeff - you're a little off on the numbers. Shaq is at around $28m and McGrady at $14.5m. Dallas could make a deal with Finley and Walker to LA and Jamison to Orlando (plus filler as needed) without killing the entire roster. Is it realistic? No. But it can be done, and if it happens...kudos to Cuban.

Houston's a much more likely possibility. The Orlando Sentinel hasn't updated yet for today, so perhaps they've got something big coming in the next hour or two. Typically when this happens, they do - at least about 75% of the time.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

like some have said on this board...if Cuban somehow gets both of them...i'll give Cuban A LOT of props. hell i'll even support the Mavs.:confused: :eek:

5. JoeBarelyCares

This was buried in the article, FYI.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the Mavs could get Shaq without losing 2 of their big 3, they wouldn't need T-mac. The Mavs are a jumpshooting team that needs a big man and Shaq is a big man who needs jumpshooters. It would be a match made in heaven for both parties.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Another thing, would Lakers management allow this to happen?

Orlando just wants to get something done and start rebuilding. But if the Lakers sent Shaq to Dallas with T-Mac, that would basically set the next couple West-Conf. champs and most likely NBA Champs in stone. No matter what FAs you sign or how many trades you do, no team could come close to a Shaq/T-Mac/Cuban team.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

There's zero chance of this happening. This is just T-Mac and O'Neal fantasizing - they'de obviously love to play together, but it can't happen. Finley is 32 years old and not worth $15million. Jamison is not worth $14million. Antoine Walker is the worst player in basketball and not worth a fraction of his $14million. You have to get Nash to agree to be signed and traded to Orlando or L.A. - why would he want to go to a rebuilding situation in Orlando? All they really have to play with is Nowitzki. Too many reasons why this Dallas pipe dream ain't happening.

9. vunny1408

vunny1408 Member

Even superstars dream. But yea, it ain't happening. Cuban confirmed himself that "it's news to me". YEa, sure he wishes! ha!

Looks like the Rockets are front runners:D

10. Matador

Matador Member

In the article it says the trade can be made public July 1st and you say August. Who is correct?

I can't wait all the way until August!!! :confused:

11. MONON

MONON Member

Shaq with Nash and either Finley or Dirk at 1st glance is a scarry thought. However I don't think it would work to the tune of automatic championships for the next few years.

1st of all it's like putting an elephant with a herd of gazelles. The Mavs fast break would be 4 on 5. 2ndly, how's Shaq going to react when he demands the ball because he's shooting 60% and the rest of the team says "so are we & from 3 point land!"

Shaq has his rings and just isn't dedicated enough to do the things it takes to play team ball ie get in shape!

12. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 Member

The Lakers want to unload Shaq. Chances are, they are not going to get their $23 million worth in return (Shaq's contract minus 15%). If they get Nash and one of the Antoine's, that will probably be the best offer out there.

I think the odds of Shaq going to Dallas are a lot greater than TMac, but I thinks it's more probable than people on the board want to admit.

13. xiki

xiki Member

OK, "The Rockets trade Steve Francis (and gobbledygook) for Tracy McGrady (and gobbledygook), but the trade won't be official until August"?. There, I said it. Now, deliver it. Please.

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

If the deal does get done then it will most likely get leaked. So if we hear nothing come draft time then that is bad news (i think).

15. crash5179

crash5179 Member

The fact the Cuban is involved in this is very scary.

No owner in the league is more aggressive at making trades happen than Cuban.

A line up of

Marquis Daniels
    T-Mac
    Josh Howard
    Anoine Jamison
    Shaq

Would be very attractive. That would be one hell of a defensive team and plenty of fire power to boot. Plus that team has something that the Lakers did not have...youth and athletisism. Plus they would still have their entire mid level exception to play with so could the grab someone like Brent Barry to come in as depth on a team that could win a championship?

Nash, Walker, Finley and Dirk might be enough.

Nash, Walker and draft picks to L.A.

Dirk and Finley to Orlando.

#35 crash5179, Jun 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

If Dallas Trades Nash for Shaq is insane!!. shaq is nearing his used by date, yet Nash is just startin to roll!!

17. crash5179

crash5179 Member

That is why L.A. might do it. Shaq is nearing the end and probably has only 2 or 3 good years left if that.

Cuban does it for obvious reasons. The team loves Daniels and and has confidence in him. Daniels, T-Mac, Josh Howard, Jamison and Shaq would be very hard to beat and that team would be a much better team than last years Mavericks because this team would be a defensive juggernaut if Don Nelson did not screw it up...

Plus Finley is starting to get old and Nash while still in his prime is no spring chicken at 30. T-Mac is only 25 and Jamison is 28 so excluding Shaq the core of the Mavs team would still be very young so when Shaq retires they would still have a very nice line-up.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

You got that right but something is DEFINITELY cooking over up here. I've seen nothing but NC - no comments - from Cuban all weekend. If he wanted to, he could definitely play in the T-Mac sweepstakes so it's always a good idea to never rule Cuban out of anything until it's over.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

One final word on trading Shaq. Any team that trades for Shaq will be expected to give him a 3 year extension in the neighborhood of $40 million. That's a LOT of cheddar to digest and may very well keep him in LA.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Member

If the Mavs are willing to part with Dirk then getting Shaq and T-Mac is very doable. Hell could the Magic hope to get another player as good as Dirk for TMac?

Sign and Trade Nash along with Walker and that might be the best deal the Lakers could get for Shaq.